PDA

View Full Version : Selling protocol on the classifieds

Smiley
12-03-2010, 04:18 PM
Recently I just acted as a middleman for a lurker on this forum and a very good friend and Serotta owner who asked for my assistance in selling his Red 57 cm cross frame.
I fielded many pm's and e-mails even though my preferred method of contact as I specified was through e mail. I got many querries and took the FIRST that said I WILL BUY your bike. I feel bad cause somebody else wanted to buy it and to be truthful this person did not contact me via my e-mail but between e-mail and pm's I did not keep track of what order these querries came in cause the bottom line for me is WHO pulled the trigger first. The second place finisher said he delayed cause he needed to measure stuff etc. I feel bad but my obligation is to my buddy and SELL to the first guy that steps up to the plate.

Anything wrong with that?

CyclingGuru
12-03-2010, 04:24 PM
First come first serve.

AngryScientist
12-03-2010, 04:24 PM
i dont think theres anything wrong with the way you handled it. bottom line is that something that generates a lot of interest will always leave a few disappointed. its your right as a seller to determine the best buyer, and i think the first solid commitment is very fair.

Steve in SLO
12-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Not in my book. Sounds like to acted appropriately and in your friends best interest.

dave thompson
12-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Always...he who commits first gets the goodies.

thwart
12-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Like a lot of favors, it sounded so simple and easy at first...

You did what your friend wanted, sold his bike expeditiously.

Says something positive about you that you're concerned about how it went down... we need a bit more of that, IMO.

Steve in SLO
12-03-2010, 04:39 PM
No good deed goes unpunished.

SamIAm
12-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Smiley's top shelf, no doubt about that.

Same thing happened to me when I sold the Vanilla. So many initial "I want it, but....".

I took the first "I'll take it", but in the end I did have some misgivings because several of the initial responders were solid, long time forum members and I think I ended up selling it to "classified" guy, but he was a good buyer. If I had it to do over again, I would have given the regulars more time.

weisan
12-03-2010, 05:18 PM
All the more reason to sell our stuff like this:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=71061

jlwdm
12-03-2010, 06:03 PM
We have hashed this over in great detail before, but I don't believe in a strict first come, first served. I am going to weigh other factors like if I know something about the buyer from the forum. Or in cases of something smaller (not a bike) does a buyer need the part more. Very subjective but I have especially used this when I give things away.

Jeff

zmudshark
12-03-2010, 06:37 PM
I will sell to someone I know, even if it is just through forum interaction, even if he's not first to respond.

Friendship matters.

I am not a guru, so YMMV.

wooly
12-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Agree with all the above.

You're a good man Smiley!

WayneJ
12-03-2010, 06:58 PM
The fact that Smiley is asking the question is further evidence of his solid approach to doing things right.

Having sold and bought items from Smiley, I can tell you there is no better and trustworthy guy on this forum. Smiley makes me smile !

xjoex
12-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Clearly the protocol is HTTP over TCP... I kid, and I'm a nerd.

-Joe

Lifelover
12-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Just issue a public apology and all will be well!

zap
12-04-2010, 08:12 AM
:) is a close friend and know he conducts affairs with the best of intentions.

I don't know the details of the recent sale but know that sometimes what should be simple is not.

As a middleman I would have handled the sale the same way. If I contacted :) regarding the cyco bike (I was thinking about it), I would not have expected preferential treatment nor would I want to put :) in that position.

jlwdm
12-04-2010, 08:25 AM
I don't see the preferential treatment issue. Preferential in what way. You would have been a known buyer who based on a relationship would probably be more trusted to perform. Might be better for the seller.

Jeff

rickbb
12-04-2010, 11:55 AM
I've been waiting over a year for a Serotta to be posted that fit the bill, legitimizing my presence here (in my mind, at least). The bike was posted, languished a bit until the price was dropped and I then contacted Smiley with a commitment.
Should I have expected a response that he was waiting for a more worthy buyer? I suppose he could have told me I was second in line until he heard from other(s) but that would have jeopardized the bird in the hand. I think the transaction was handled responsibly and was consistent with my other positive experiences on this unique forum.

jlwdm
12-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Not the point.

I don't sit watching the forum all day. If I put something for sale I might have several offers when I first look at the classifieds. I am not going to sell just based on price.

I would never say I am looking for a better offer unless I was not ready to take the offer. I am in sales and would never let a decent first offer go hoping for a better offer.

My comments are in general not related to your sale as I do not know anything about the sale.

Jeff

Smiley
12-04-2010, 12:55 PM
When I sold my Hors Cat bike a few years ago I had a buyer with few posts and a bunch of buyers with better street cred here but the newbie sent me a check and waited for it to clear before having me send him the frame. It worked out well and I was fair with the deal.
I just recently wanted to buy some parts from a guy here and he would not deal with me since I don't have a pay pal account. I offered to send him my check and wait for it to clear but he would not have it this way so I lost out...no biggie as I was not in a rush for those parts. Gotta respect the ground rules set.

Ken Robb
12-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I HAD a PayPal account that was hacked and drained so I don't do that any more. I have bought stuff here and on eBay where the sellers specified PayPal but decided to accept my checks when I explained my situation. I told them they could wait until my check cleared before shipping but most of them shipped ASAP. With many banks having branches all over the country a seller can often take a buyer's personal check to a local branch and cash it immediately instead of waiting 3 days or so to be sure it clears at his own bank. Heck, I have accounts at 3 different banks so I have been able to match up with sellers' banks on a couple of deals.

I think it's interesting that we mostly worry about a check bouncing but what if the check is good but the "seller" never even had the item offered for sale? Equal risks I think and on-line reputation/persona goes a long way to making me trust someone. Phone calls are good too.