PDA

View Full Version : 10 sp chain on 9 speed group?

swg
12-02-2010, 11:36 PM
LBS dropped a 10 speed chain on my 9 speed group. I know the difference so save those explanations, but I would like to know if this works out OK or should I take it off and put a 9 speed chain back on?

Kane
12-03-2010, 02:23 AM
Why would you want a weaker more expensive chain on your bike?
Stock up on a few extra chains and buy a chain tool. One of the easiest repairs, especially with quick links.
Cheers,
Kane

Alan
12-03-2010, 05:56 AM
You can always buy 9 spd SRAM chains w powerlink for under $20 and they are very easy to change. I actually prefer my 9 sp Campy to my 10 spd. Both work well but 9 spd is more solid.

My exp is that 9 spd chains last longer but for $20 who cares.

Alan

Ralph
12-03-2010, 06:42 AM
LBS dropped a 10 speed chain on my 9 speed group. I know the difference so save those explanations, but I would like to know if this works out OK or should I take it off and put a 9 speed chain back on?

How does it shift?

oldpotatoe
12-03-2010, 07:32 AM

Proper width means the best performance and 9s chains are wider than 10s since the cogs are not as close together. 'May' work OK but have the bike shop put the correct chain on.

swg
12-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Just wanted to know if there was a problem running this setup. Normally I take care of the chain and I have an couple of new 9 speed chains, chain tool, etc.

I was having something else looked at and when I picked up the bike the chain had been replaced with a 10 speed chain. Ask about it and they said it was borderline for a new chain and was not a problem to use a 10 speed chain. Seems to shift fine and as a matter of fact it is quieter when in the small chainring. For some reason it was a little noisy out back when I was in the small chainring.

I will run it until it needs changing if there is not a problem using it. Just wanted to know if there is a problem running this setup.

NeauDL
12-03-2010, 05:15 PM
I have used a 10-speed chain with 9 speed cassettes for several years with no problems whatsoever. But I have had problems with 10-speed chains up front on 9 speed cranksets. I started using Rotor Q rings several years ago on an Ultegra 9 triple, and the chain bobbing up and down in the front derailleur cage with each revolution made it impossible to use the middle cog in back on the middle chainring without having the chain hit the FD on one side or the other. Ultegra 9 has two trim positions for the FD on the middle chainring, and neither one could be adjusted to avoid chain contact with the FD until I used a 10-speed chain. Then I occasionally overshifted the chain when going from middle to large chainring, and occasionally had the chain undershift when going from large to middle chainring. So to solve those problems, I put Campy 10 shifters and FD on, with the 10-speed chain. I couldn't upshift chainrings with a single sweep of the lever until I put on a 10-speed crankset, which has the chainrings slightly closer together. So be aware you may have these problems. With the Hubbub method of attaching the RD cable, I've had no problems with Campy 10 shifters, Shimano 9 RD and Shimano 9 cassette shifting.
Now that Shimano and Sram make 10-speed mountain-geared cassettes, which I occasionally use on the road bike when riding in the mountains, I will probably switch to 10-speed in back when my current cassettes wear out. I'm sorry I didn't switch out the 9 speed triple crankset long ago. Crankarms with worn out chainrings are cheap on ebay.