PDA

View Full Version : OT Youth basketball

rwsaunders
12-02-2010, 11:29 PM
Well, soccer is done for the season and we've moved on to basketball. It's not my favorite sport, but it's hard not to enjoy a game played in a place filled with so much history.

The gym dates to 1913, and was refurbished five years ago by a local Eagle Scout. Check out the telegram from Sports Illustrated from a few years back.

tele
12-03-2010, 06:18 AM
is that where they filmed Hoosiers?

my rinky dink town has a similar place, though not nearly as nice. Our "old town hall" has been a town hall, school, and now rec center. It is so small that there are walls directly beneath the hoops. Kinda fun so that you can try to jump off the wall and try to get to the rim, at least us wee people can dream. :no:

rugbysecondrow
12-03-2010, 06:26 AM
Awesome. I passed on a chance a few years ago to get some reclaimed flooring from a high school basket ball floor. I didn't know what I would have done with it at the time, but it would have been cool for my sons room now. Paint it up like a small basketball court.

What a great place to play basketball. When I played basketball as a youth, I always thought it was cool seeing all the photos of young men who had played before me. History seems more ingrained on a basketball court than a football stadium or ball diamond.

djg
12-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Awesome.

My twins (8 yo) just made the switch as well, although my son is also playing indoor soccer this winter. (league champions in the boys U9 this fall, with the old man as co-coach, thank you, thank you very much).

Lifelover
12-03-2010, 07:51 AM
Very cool! All my teams practice or play at typical elementary or Middle school gyms. that place lloks great.

I assume the pillars are not as close to the court as the pics make it look?

Our league started practices this week and it has been a major run around getting everything going.

rwsaunders
12-03-2010, 09:14 AM
I assume the pillars are not as close to the court as the pics make it look?

Those columns are as as close as they appear in the photos. They do have padded covers, though. When I sent my Dad (78 yo) the photos from the game, he commented that he played in that gym quite a few times as a kid. He also asked my son to look in the locker room the next time that he's there, to see if his initials were still carved in the rafters. Somewhat of a tradition he claimed, when visiting other schools...he's still a trouble maker today.

jr59
12-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Youth basketball is a wonderful thing. Getting to play in a place with that much history; PRICELESS!

moran
12-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Wow...that is a cool gym. Brings back memories too. We used to play "summer ball" in high school in the old Abbot Pennings gym in Green Bay, WI. It was in the basement. Exact same lay-out, columns, etc.....although they didn't pad the columns back then!