PDA

View Full Version : semi-OT - The Flying Scotsman

AngryScientist
12-02-2010, 09:43 PM
This could be old news to some/most of you, but just caught "The Flying Scotsman" on netflix - pretty good cycling movie, and a bit of track racing history that i was unaware of.

avalonracing
12-02-2010, 10:13 PM
It was an interesting flick. I'm sure that some of the people here haven't heard about it.

It didn't get much play and was in limited release in the States. It didn't make it into the Megaplexes because there wasn't enough: explosions, T&A, toilet humor, bloodshed, children making sarcastic remarks, vampires, slow motion, kids on broomsticks or CGI for the general public.

Peter P.
12-03-2010, 05:56 AM
I saw the movie; I thought it was hokey.

As usual, the book is better. A raw, honest autobiography.

tele
12-03-2010, 06:14 AM
i only saw the first half of the movie and haven't seen the end yet. thought about the mental state of the guy and the suffering he and then his family/friends went through, pretty compelling stuff.

GuyGadois
12-03-2010, 10:55 AM
I saw the movie; I thought it was hokey.

As usual, the book is better. A raw, honest autobiography.

+1 love the book. Very, very dark but an increadible read. The movie is OK. Read the book.

benb
12-03-2010, 11:01 AM
We should make a list of cycling movies since we can all find them so easily now with Netflix..

I enjoyed the Flying Scotsman... I saw it a couple years ago. I haven't read the book, nor was I really aware of the story as it was happening, so I didn't really have any opinions going into the movie.

The Triplets of Belleville is apparently also on Netflix.

AngryScientist
12-03-2010, 11:42 AM
We should make a list of cycling movies since we can all find them so easily now with Netflix..

I enjoyed the Flying Scotsman... I saw it a couple years ago. I haven't read the book, nor was I really aware of the story as it was happening, so I didn't really have any opinions going into the movie.

i'm all for that idea. and i'm with you on not being aware of the story. i wasnt aware there was a book either, i'll look into it.

triplets of belleville is a great movie, saw it last month.

i'll admit i dont know many other cycling movies though, a list would be great.

so we have

-triplets of belleville
-flying scottsman
-breaking away

more...

R2D2
12-03-2010, 11:54 AM
There's a great documentary of Madison racing in the 20's and how it eventually died out to football/baseball after WWII but can't remember name.

GuyGadois
12-03-2010, 12:04 PM
I think a movie list is worthy of a new thread. Not just available on netflix but movies out (with notes if available on Netfilx)

oldpotatoe
12-03-2010, 01:41 PM

THAT is a great movie..look for Eddy(Merckx)!

tv_vt
12-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Triplets on Netflix - Ok, it's going in my queue! That was a fun movie.

Saw the Flying Scotsman last month. Wasn't as dark as I was expecting. Guess that's what happens when book goes to film. And here's a question for history buffs - was Moser really at Obree's hour attempts??? I find that extremely hard to believe, not to mention his enthusiasm for Obree breaking his record. My guess is that is movie fiction.

Thom

scrubadub
12-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Cycling fiction or documentary?

I really liked Hell on Wheels and it's on Netflix.

avalonracing
12-03-2010, 11:46 PM
PeeWee's Big Adventure... Now that is a movie about a bike!

GuyGadois
12-04-2010, 02:23 AM
Emmanuel's Gift - I don't think this has been mentioned here.

http://www.emmanuelsgift.com/

An increadible true life, feel good story. A must see.

GG

gemship
12-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I noticed this movie was on Hulu a few weeks back if you don't get netflix.

oliver1850
12-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I haven't seen the Flying Scotsman, but admired Obree at the time he was making his hour record attempts.

Here's what my old copy of Video Hound lists for cycling movies:

American Flyers
BMX Bandits
Breaking Away
Off the Mark
Pee Wee's Big Adventure
Quicksilver
Rad
Rush It
Ten Speed

I might add The Bicycle Thief as worth seeing, but not a cycling movie.