PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Elasticized Waist

giverdada
12-02-2010, 07:27 PM
honestly.

i thought i had gotten away from elasticized waists at about the same time i started walking myself to school and packing my own lunch. i think that was some time around the first or second grade.

and now, it's 'cross season, rain season, unpredictable weather season, and winter season. it will likely be these seasons for the next five months. i've got the jackets for these seasons. a clear pvc rain jacket. a really nice giordana rain jacket i picked up on sale. and a fleecy windtex biemme winter jacket for super duper cold days.

the only jacket without elastic along the waist band is the clear pvc one.

this is also the only jacket that stays down to protect my fenderless rear mid-pedal after a stoplight trackstand or a standing hill effort or any pedaling time longer than about 2 minutes.

what gives?

why are jackets, especially cycling jackets, elasticized across the back hem? in my experience, this only serves to keep the hem from sliding back down to provide coverage after it has inevitably ridden up from the motion of pedaling. anyone else have this problem? just me? i'm hoping to venture a de-elasticization operation in the near future. we'll see how it goes... :crap:

R2D2
12-02-2010, 09:38 PM
My Showers Pass rain jacket has an adjustable drawstring and is long in the back..
But I really don't know what you are looking for. Can you elaborate as to what your ideal design would be?

giverdada
12-05-2010, 03:45 PM
in terms of ideal design, i was thinking that a half-elastic would be best. the front half could be elasticized to about the hip bone/underarm seam, then the rest across the back could be just straight fit or hang-down flap for extra coverage. it's the elastic across the rear that rides up and stays up. i find that the gripper and elastic across the back only serve to get the back up my back and keep it there. and today it snows... :rolleyes:

BryanE
12-05-2010, 03:57 PM
I thought this would be about Sansabelt pants.
Bry