PDA

View Full Version : Reynolds Attack clinchers any good?

phcollard
12-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Yes sorry it's one of those threads!

I spotted a good deal on the Reynolds Attack clinchers but a quick Google search shows mixed reviews so I'd like to hear opinions from fellow forumites.

I'd like to use these wheels as everyday training wheels. And I must add that we have our lot of potholes here in Montreal :D

Thanks for your thoughts!

Mr. Squirrel
12-02-2010, 07:18 AM
i have many sets of these wheels.the carbon layup is a little simpler, and consequently a little heavier than the the Reynolds DV46. the hubs are kt brand rather than the dt swiss in more expensive models and there is also a few extra grams between the skewers in the different wheelsets. they weigh in at a respectable 1550g . they have a composite carbon braking surface that is more durable and less likely to overheat than the carbon in the rest of the rim. i would suggest kool stop or swiss stop pads to use on these wheels. they are a solid wheel that can be ridden in any conditions, and will remain true. they are strong enough for training, and definitely fast enough to race on, and light enough for me to steal them on the road (nuk nuk nuk). i highly recommended. where do you live?

mr. squirrel

Likes2ridefar
12-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Unless the deal is ridiculous, you can get a set of top end custom built AL wheels with something like King hubs. they can/will weigh less and will brake better in all conditions.

I found the rear hub on the Reynolds wheels to be annoying when coasting, but it works fine.

tuscanyswe
12-02-2010, 07:28 AM
I have had both mv32c and the attacks. I couldent tell any difference other than that the hub on the attack freehub makes abit more noise. I also have a pair of assaults (cheaper version of dv46c) and i like them too.

Good wheels if you ask me.

phcollard
12-02-2010, 07:59 AM
i highly recommended. where do you live?

mr. squirrel

Thanks! I live in Montreal. That's why I asked about potholes. I try to avoid them but of course sometimes you just can't. And the unfavorable reviews that I have read state that the Attacks go out of true quite easily...

phcollard
12-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Unless the deal is ridiculous, you can get a set of top end custom built AL wheels with something like King hubs. they can/will weigh less and will brake better in all conditions.

I found the rear hub on the Reynolds wheels to be annoying when coasting, but it works fine.

I already have enough of Al wheels but you're right for the price I can get a very nice custom wheelset. But I have never ridden carbon and I'd like to try. Is $699 for a pair of Reynolds a ridiculous enough deal?

And I did not know the rear hub was noisy. Is that for instance as loud as a CK rear hub??

Likes2ridefar
12-02-2010, 08:10 AM
the price is good. Before using carbon, I would've jumped on the deal, too. after using it - assaults and attacks - I'd not bother. They just don't do it for me. When wet the braking was sub-par on both - sometimes just scary, and the assaults handled poorly in the wind.

i race on zipp 404 tubulars and they handle way better in the wind...no idea why.

The hub is as loud, or even a bit louder, as a nicely broken in King hub but the sound is more annoying. I find the king buzz pleasant.

rice rocket
12-02-2010, 08:29 AM
and the assaults handled poorly in the wind.

i race on zipp 404 tubulars and they handle way better in the wind...no idea why.
http://www.zipp.com/_media/pdfs/technology/rimshape.pdf
;)

But yeah, I have on the Flashpoints, which have the same rim profile as the 404s (not the Firecrests), and they handle pretty well in the wind despite being 58mm deep.

Also, if it's your racing rim, you're most likely at a faster average speed, which decreases the wind angle.