PDA

View Full Version : Ultegra Long Cage vs XTR

sean
12-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Curious to know what the benefits of switching from an ultegra 9sp long cage to an XTR? Obviously, I know I can get a wider range, but what else?

It's for a bike that will be sort of an allrounder. 700c with wide tires, etc. Maybe some rolling trails, etc.

d_man16
12-02-2010, 07:28 AM
Are you thinking of buying one? You might find that a XT Shadow works just as well and is quite a bit cheaper (I have both and can't tell the difference in the shifting). If you've got one laying around throw it on, (outside your previously stated observations) I think that you'll find that they are a little more crash resistant. :banana:

oldpotatoe
12-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Curious to know what the benefits of switching from an ultegra 9sp long cage to an XTR? Obviously, I know I can get a wider range, but what else?

It's for a bike that will be sort of an allrounder. 700c with wide tires, etc. Maybe some rolling trails, etc.

Nothing else but a wider range, larger largest cog. Be sure to get one with a barrel adjuster on the rear der..XT works as well as does Deore.

rice rocket
12-02-2010, 07:47 AM
The Shimano road "long" cage = the mountain "mid" cage from what I've seen.

You don't really need the long cage unless you're running a triple up front though. I'm on a 11-34 cassette on a 50-34 compact crank, and the long cage Deore derailleur is hardly "stressed". Mid cage would have been more appropriate, but it wasn't on sale. :p

And yeah, what oldpotatoe said. The Deore shadow RD doesn't have a barrel adjuster on the rear... I use the front barrel adjuster only and it seems to do the job. Coupled with Sora 9sp shifters, it currently shifts better than my slightly out-of-adjustment Dura-Ace 7800. :rolleyes:

xjoex
12-02-2010, 08:37 AM
Nothing else but a wider range, larger largest cog. Be sure to get one with a barrel adjuster on the rear der..XT works as well as does Deore.

I have an XTR rear der on my CX bike with a 32t rear cassette. I have to say it just works so well, in all conditions, mud, snow, trails, etc.

But you do lose the barrel adjuster. You can buy a Jagwire Rocket Barrel Adjuster.
http://robonza.blogspot.com/2008/03/whered-barrel-adjuster-go.html

They are both nice options , you can't make a bad choice. I like the XTR on mine.

-Joe

sean
12-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the advice all. Those ritchey adjusters are genius. Right up there with the Hunter Adjusters for Paul Canti's.

One last question. Any issues with using an ultergra 6500 9sp setup circa 2002 with current 9sp XT or XTR? My understanding is the chain and cassette are different.

kramnnim
12-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Your Ultegra will mix just fine with 9sp XT/XTR.

sean
12-02-2010, 05:26 PM
excellent!