PDA

View Full Version : Any NOS sources for 7speed DT 126 spaced wheels, etc?

Dekonick
12-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Don't ask... I have an older frame that is now a fixed gear... was saved from the trash at Smiley's house... and now is with me. I want to make a cheap fendered bike with 6 or 7 speed, probably 1x6 or 1x7 - not even a double up front...

This would be used as a crap bike when going to the beach... if it gets stolen I won't cry.

There must be some place that has some old suntour or similar junk... wheels seem to be the hardest part to find. Obviously 27 rims...

PaulE
12-01-2010, 07:58 PM
Bike Parts USA (http://www.bikepartsusa.com/bikeparts/category/wheel-27_inch)

I needed something similar a couple of years ago, but 700c and bought them from them.

rounder
12-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Smiley tosses out old bikes? I would take any of his old bikes.

I have one or two old 7-speed duraace freewheels...not too sure about the condition of the sprockets.

bike22
12-01-2010, 08:54 PM
is NOS a necessity?

old 126 rear wheels are a dime-a-dozen on craigslist, bike co-ops, bike shops that deal in older/used bikes/parts, etc.

also, it isn't a problem to squeeze a 130 (normal road spacing) wheel in a 126 frame, provided it's steel.

there's a sheldon article on frame spacing that is relevant that i'm too lazy to google up.

Dekonick
12-01-2010, 09:52 PM
NOS not important - just want something that won't attract attention... so I really want to avoid newer hub etc... Yes - I know I can cold set to 130... but I have a nice wheel set with suzue promax hubs and open pro rims... when it is fixed. I probably should just keep it a fixed gear, but that makes it tempting to hipsters... I want a noodle around at the beach and lock up with thin cable lock w/o worry of theft kind of bike. My plan is to have a down tube friction shifter, some kind of derailleur and a 6 or 7 speed wheel/hub. I have long reach brakes so it can work with a 700c, just figured it would be easy to find the other junk. Keep the ultegra 600 front crankset with the 39 ring, use the fixed wheels when I want, change and put on 6 sp for convience.

bike22
12-01-2010, 10:22 PM
My plan is to have a down tube friction shifter, some kind of derailleur and a 6 or 7 speed wheel/hub. I have long reach brakes so it can work with a 700c, just figured it would be easy to find the other junk. Keep the ultegra 600 front crankset with the 39 ring, use the fixed wheels when I want, change and put on 6 sp for convience.
that sounds fantastic, these are my favorite bikes.
my work bike is eerily similar, even down to the minute details.

shiftyfixedgear
12-02-2010, 01:18 AM
Thieves often don't care or even recognize good bikes from bad.
They often just steal whatever is easy.

DON"T use a cable lock, even for a POS. Get a cheap u-lock or decent thick chain.

A good junker can be surprisingly hard to find or duplicate. Maybe not financially but often just the time spent finding a decent crapper and then getting it even close to road-worthy.

Just my dos centavos . . .

oldpotatoe
12-02-2010, 07:38 AM
Don't ask... I have an older frame that is now a fixed gear... was saved from the trash at Smiley's house... and now is with me. I want to make a cheap fendered bike with 6 or 7 speed, probably 1x6 or 1x7 - not even a double up front...

This would be used as a crap bike when going to the beach... if it gets stolen I won't cry.

There must be some place that has some old suntour or similar junk... wheels seem to be the hardest part to find. Obviously 27 rims...

http://www.velocityusa.com/downloads/hubs/Road%20Hubs/Freewheel-130mm-500.jpg

Altho 130mm, threaded axle...size the RH tall enough for the freewheel...space to 126mm..measure, build wheel..easy.

keevon
12-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Another option is to take any Shimano 8/9 speed wheel (130 spaced), swap the freehub body with a Shimano STX 7-speed freehub body, and adjust axle spacers as necessary to achieve 126 spacing.

7 speed freehub bodies are shorter than 8/9/10 speed freehub bodies, so they allow you to respace the locknuts. Per Sheldon, almost all Shimano freehub bodies are interchangeable. The only other things you'd need are a 7 speed cassette and possibly a new drive side cone.

The STX 7-speed freehub body should run you about $20:
http://aebike.com/product/stx-rc-and-acera-x-7-speed-freehub-body-sku-fw8946-qc30.htm