PDA

View Full Version : Fogging up - any ideas?

Clydesdale
12-01-2010, 10:52 AM
What do you guys do to keep your glasses/sunglasses from fogging over in the winter? I prefer my clear lense sunglasses over ski goggles, but when it is cold enough to cover the mouth and nose it gets pretty tough to see as my breathing fogs them over.

Any thoughts or favorite hoods/balaclavas that would help?

Thanks

Mike126
12-01-2010, 10:58 AM
An old scuba diving trick - spit. Or you can get fancy and use a anti-fog cleaner. Most dive shops carry it.

I have never had the problem myself when I ride in the winter. But I also don't like having anything covering my mouth/nose so fogging does not seem to be an issue for me.

avalonracing
12-01-2010, 11:38 AM
Some glasses are much better than others in handling fog. And oh, not stopping helps.

dekindy
12-01-2010, 11:41 AM
I have tried everything and the best method is wearing inexpensive safety goggles over your glasses. Not stopping already mentioned is a great tip. Keeps the air flowing.

These work great.
http://www.amazon.com/JONES-COMPANY-VISORGOG-BLUE/dp/B001VINXOU
I use cycling glasses behind mine so I am not sure if they would work with regular glasses as the first review indicates. It completely eliminated fogging for me. I tried spit and every other method recommended and this is the only one that worked for me.

I have a new pair of Liquid Eyewear glasses and use the prescription lens with regular insert in Summer and foam insert in Winter. The foam insert prevents most fogging and when they occasionally fog all I have to do is pull them away from my face slightly for a few seconds and they clear up immediately. As a result I am not using the Visorgog anymore. I have the Liquid Eyewar Gasket model. The frame lens is not interchangeable but the new Light to Dark lens works great for me. It is light enough for riding on dark country roads and my eyes are sensitive to sunlight and they work great for me in sunlight. Use the carrier with foam. Watch the video. I have prescription lenses instead of the clear but the concept is the same. Very durable solid aluminum construction which was very important in addition to accomodating my prescription. I recommend them highly. Customer service is great. Ask for Kirsten.
http://www.liquidpolarized.com/product.html?style=2
http://www.liquidpolarized.com/insert_instructions.html

cdn_bacon
12-01-2010, 11:47 AM
use shaving cream and wipe with a clean cloth don't rinse with water.

dekindy
12-01-2010, 12:04 PM
If I still had the diving antifog stuff that I tried and did not work, I would send it to you. Tried spit, shaving cream, soap, etc., etc., etc. The only think that worked somewhat was Clarity Fog Eliminator.
http://www.amazon.com/Clarity%C2%AE-Fog-Eliminator-2-3-packs/product-reviews/B00069DN86/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Sorry for being so skeptical of the other recommendations. None of them even remotely worked for me. Liquid Eyewear, Visorgogs, and Clarity Fog Eliminator, in that order, have been the only things that have given me results. I discovered the Visorgogs after the Clarity Fog Eliminator so the Clarity was not a good enough solution to keep me from seeking better.

Clydesdale
12-01-2010, 12:13 PM
Appreciate the input. I have tried scuba stuff, etc. without much success. I mainly have the problem when it is too cold to ride without my mouth and nose covered and breathing into a mask fogs over my sunglasses. I'll try some of the suggestions above and see how it goes.

d_man16
12-01-2010, 12:25 PM
an old pair of ski goggles is probably your best bet they look silly but you can get them polarized and they solve the fogging problem by having two lenses (allows for two air temps on either side of the glass, keeping the lens from collecting cooling water vapor)- This will keep them from in most conditions, if you still have some problems spray some anti-fog on the lenses and you should be all set

if not you'll battle fogging all winter long with a balaclava warming the air and pushing it up towards your eyes. If you've got single lens glasses; the glasses will always be cooler than your face and breath and the vapor will collect on the inside surface of the glasses. No matter how much anti fog you smear on there.