PDA

View Full Version : OT: Broke the record for snowfall!

stephenmarklay
12-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Here in Spokane WA we have had more than 2 feet already. This might be a bad winter :rolleyes:

Mr. Squirrel
12-01-2010, 08:14 AM
snow makes me see-py <yawn>. it is a good thing i collected many wheels before winter.

mr. squirrel

Karin Kirk
12-01-2010, 08:18 AM
... or a good winter, depending on your perspective. :)
All the ski areas are opening early with base depths that we normally would not have until February. The skiing is fantastic right out of the box.

However, having temps below zero for all of Thanksgiving week was a bit of a shock.

avalonracing
12-01-2010, 08:25 AM
We had record snowfall like that last year in Maryland. I though it would never go away. Then we had the wettest recorded spring followed by the hottest summer on record. Nice.

AngryScientist
12-01-2010, 08:27 AM
it's eerie around here, 61 degrees and raining on december 1.

tele
12-01-2010, 08:55 AM
Warm, windy and rainy here too. I miss the snow! :crap:

Ralph
12-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Not too long ago, flew from Central Florida to Spokane, then drove to Northern Montana and circled back. Nice country. Wouldn't mind riding the trail alongside Interstate to Ceour D Alene (in good riding weather).

97CSI
12-01-2010, 09:06 AM
it's eerie around here, 61 degrees and raining on december 1.Yep........ it's great. Maybe ten degrees too cold. If it wasn't for the wind, would almost be a decent day to ride.

This is how I like my snow........ either reading about it or seeing pictures. Can you say Florida?

maxdog
12-01-2010, 09:21 AM
All the ski areas are opening early with base depths that we normally would not have until February. The skiing is fantastic right out of the box.

However, having temps below zero for all of Thanksgiving week was a bit of a shock.

Agreed. As much as I love to ride, I love to ski as well, and once all the foliage is gone, snow just seems more appropriate.

stephenmarklay
12-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I have not skied in years but I am do like the winter so I am fine with it all. Now two years ago we had 5 feet in a week. That was a bit much -shoveling the roof gets old.

Ralph
12-01-2010, 10:04 AM
Well.....I do live year around in Florida (Central Florida), and it's not perfect all year either. We have rolling hills and Oak trees. Not the Florida of commercials. We have 3-4 months of year I would prefer Spokane weather. I thought Spokane area very beautuful.

I did get in a ride this AM, with no leg warmers. But cold front is on the way, and weather tonight to get unseasonably cool....low 40's. Then unseasonably cool and dry rest of week....day highs hi 60's or low 70's. Very sunny. Cold for us.

So bring your bikes, and come on down. Just avoid the Disney area. I don't go near there myself.

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/regions/eastcentral/trails/west_orange.htm

dave thompson
12-01-2010, 10:26 AM

Karin: Stephenmarklay and I would be only too glad to request that all further snow scheduled for here in Spokane trek the relatively few more miles easterly so you and Dave will have all the skiing and boarding you could want. It would indeed be our pleasure. :rolleyes:

RPS
12-01-2010, 10:44 AM
This is how I like my snow........ either reading about it or seeing pictures. Can you say Florida?
Same here – snow is OK for a brief visit and then it’s back to warm and sunny. Our high today should be 64 F with lots of sun and low humidity, so I definitely plan to get a ride in after lunch. The next couple of days will be partly sunny with highs in the low to mid 70s. Not Central Florida but I’ll take it.

dave thompson
12-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Same here – snow is OK for a brief visit and then it’s back to warm and sunny. Our high today should be 64 F with lots of sun and low humidity, so I definitely plan to get a ride in after lunch. The next couple of days will be partly sunny with highs in the low to mid 70s. Not Central Florida but I’ll take it.
Bite me! :D

RPS
12-01-2010, 11:00 AM
Bite me! :D
In all honesty I don't even mind the summer heat, kind of like it. ;)

I can ride year round except when it's going to rain. I don't do cold rain.

Ralph
12-01-2010, 11:11 AM
I never ride in bad weather....no need to.

93legendti
12-01-2010, 11:16 AM

Same here...

97CSI
12-01-2010, 11:25 AM
Same here...Year round in MI? Weather must have improved considerably from the unfortunate winter of '82-3 that I spent there. Never hated the weather anywhere as much as those months in Port Huron. Was outta there by the end of Feb. Different strokes for different folks.

Karin Kirk
12-01-2010, 12:51 PM
Karin: Stephenmarklay and I would be only too glad to request that all further snow scheduled for here in Spokane trek the relatively few more miles easterly so you and Dave will have all the skiing and boarding you could want. It would indeed be our pleasure. :rolleyes:

That sounds just great Dave, thank you for your generosity. Just make sure it all falls in the mountains and not on the driveway. I'd hate to waste energy on shoveling instead of skiing. :)

93legendti
12-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Year round in MI? Weather must have improved considerably from the unfortunate winter of '82-3 that I spent there. Never hated the weather anywhere as much as those months in Port Huron. Was outta there by the end of Feb. Different strokes for different folks.
I ride year round, except for cold rain, including today, which was freekin cold.
It's actually colder since then.
Don't get my wrong, I don't love the weather here.

BengeBoy
12-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Funny - when I lived in Texas, I used to ride in 100F all the time. Today it would kill me. On the other hand, I'm now totally used to cold rain. I used to say I wouldn't ride in cold rain - now I say I won't ride more than 3 hours in cold rain unless I bring a change of socks and gloves.

Yesterday was a typical Seattle winter bike commute (20 mile round trip):
39 degrees, moderate rain on the way in. 42 degrees, light rain, all the way home. Really a very nice ride.

Ozz
12-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Funny - when I lived in Texas, I used to ride in 100F all the time. Today it would kill me. On the other hand, I'm now totally used to cold rain. I used to say I wouldn't ride in cold rain - now I say I won't ride more than 3 hours in cold rain unless I bring a change of socks and gloves.

Yesterday was a typical Seattle winter bike commute (20 mile round trip):
39 degrees, moderate rain on the way in. 42 degrees, light rain, all the way home. Really a very nice ride.
today looks like a much nicer day! Still cold but the sun is shining!

stephenmarklay
12-01-2010, 04:36 PM

-I have given Dave the all the power and authority to speak for me on behalf of snow :D

grateful
12-01-2010, 04:53 PM
My family left Coeur d' Alene after the winter of 2008 (12 ft of snow in December alone) Moved to Austin, TX. I must say, sitting here during our recent cold front (highs in the mid 60's) I wish I was back in CDA (or Bozeman, where we lived prior to CDA).

One season sucks!

Brad

Mr. Squirrel
12-01-2010, 06:17 PM
http://turkeyfeathers.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/squirrel2.jpg

wc1934
12-01-2010, 07:52 PM
it's eerie around here, 61 degrees and raining on december 1.

87 more days till spring training!