PDA

View Full Version : Silver handlebars

oldmill
05-05-2005, 05:43 AM
I'm in the market for a set of silver handlebars and wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations. I have the Nitto Noodles in 46cm, and love the flats but find I have difficulty reaching the brakes in the drops. I spoke with Riv and they said a 44cm would have slightly shallower drops, but I'm not sure if that will be enough and I'd like to get a few other suggestions before I try. (The Ritchey BioMax is otherwise near perfect: this project calls for silver). Thanks for the help.

keno
05-05-2005, 06:01 AM
In my searches for silver bars I found little out there. I tried both Nitto versions, but they didn't work out for me. I am using Deda 265s, not being concerned with weight, and they come in a silver compatible finish - aluminum. While not the finish of the Nittos, it's as close as I have come. I find the bars from an anatomical perspective good enough. If I spent more time in the drops I would be less happy with them.

I'll be interested to learn what you discover.

keno

christian
05-05-2005, 08:39 AM
Try to find some Nitto 185s. They are no longer produced, but there are some out there. A slightly steeper ramp, shallower drop, and no rearward sweep distinguishes them from the 177 (Noodle).

Think of them as a short-n-shallow 176 (Dream), basically.

Approximate reach of 80mm and drop of 135mm.

- Christian

BumpyintheBurgh
05-05-2005, 10:03 AM
You might be able to pick up a silver Ritchey Biomax 130 drop, 75 reach, on eBay. Don't think Ritchey offers them in silver anymore but they used to. I got 2 sets of silver Biomax on eBay during the past year. Love the short drop and reach.

Steve Hampsten
05-05-2005, 11:32 AM
Harris Cyclery lists a few classic Nitto bends, see
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/handlebars.html

You might also try Jitensha or Yellow Jersey. I know Nitto makes a couple of anatomic models but I haven't seen them offered here in the US.

Silver rules...

MartyE
05-05-2005, 01:38 PM
Deda 215s are available in silver in various
drops and configurations.

Marty

Keith A
05-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Deda 215s are available in silver in various drops and configurations. But be aware that their silver finish is a flat looking anodized type finish and not a shinny polished aluminum one.

Rapid Tourist
05-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Oldmill, out of curiosity, what kind of bike are you building?--sounds like a retro project. When can you come out for another fixed ride??

dave thompson
05-05-2005, 07:02 PM
3T Morphe, similar in shape to the Ritchey BioMax, in shiny aluminum.

Jeff N.
05-05-2005, 07:13 PM
ITM Pro 225's (I have a used 44 outside to outside I'll let you have for $40.00 including shipping). Nice, light, silver, grooved. jefftnix@aol.com

musgravecycles
05-05-2005, 07:29 PM
If you can't find your favorite bar in silver and you've got a little patience you can turn your favorite Al bar shiny polished silver in no time, it doesn't take much work. I've polished a few bars and or stems to get the look customer was after. You only need to go just a little further than the edge of the tape...

Peter
05-05-2005, 08:53 PM
You want silver bars but can only find 'em in black? Well, here's what ya' do-remove the black anodizing with-OVEN CLEANER! Yeah; that's right. Easy Off will do the trick. Just pretend the bars are the inside of your oven and be sure and wear gloves.

eddief
05-05-2005, 09:10 PM
most if not all of us wrap the bars with tape. If you want the "silver" effect wouldn't you just have to silverize the portion between where the tape ends at the top of the bars and where the bars disappear under the stem clamp?

On my bars that's a grand total of about 4 inches. I like that idea.

Wayne77
05-05-2005, 09:28 PM
If you can't find your favorite bar in silver and you've got a little patience you can turn your favorite Al bar shiny polished silver in no time, it doesn't take much work. I've polished a few bars and or stems to get the look customer was after. You only need to go just a little further than the edge of the tape...

Would you mind elaborating on the process a little? I've been looking for a nice polished silver threadless stem, but if I can polish up one of the black Deda's or ITM's I've already got to a nice mirror finish, I'm game... :D

MartyE
05-06-2005, 09:41 AM
If you are using a 1" threaded steerer
Deda Murex stem is available in a high polish finish.
I've only seen one of them, not sure who carries it
but Deda lists it on their web site.

Marty

oldmill
05-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Great suggestions. Thanks all for the help. I'm especially intrigued by this oven-cleaner solution. It seems so improbale that it has to be worth a try, if only in the name of science. RT- No retro project, this. It's my regular road bike, but I have a silver stem and just think silver looks a lot better on this particular steed (and having bought a frame from dbrk, you should know better than to use the term"retro". The proper term is "modern interpretation of a classic design..." ;))