PDA

View Full Version : Campy Record 11 Speed

CyclingGuru
11-30-2010, 05:44 PM
So..I know from the looks of it that most people on here are die hard Campy, Shimano, and SRAM fans..it looks like I am settling on the new Campy Record 11 speed..I have never owned Campy so what should I expect? I watched Andy from Competitive Cyclist and his whole youtube film on the new 11 speed stuff but I want to see what all of you think about Campy and your experiences with it. Apparently I am aware that it lasts for a long time, the warranty is good, and that this new 2010-2011 stuff has been engineered for even longer time and it's quality is amazing. I would love to hear all of your guys' feedback, it would be much appreciated :banana: :hello:

AngryScientist
11-30-2010, 05:54 PM
congratulations, you've selected the best components money can buy.

rest assured that with campy, you'll never pull a "schleck"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TGDtia2eFmw/TOEOwmEjjOI/AAAAAAAAJb4/eFEKo_WIRxc/s1600/Spyns+2011+Tour+de+France+Schleck+Chain+Drop.jpg

oldpotatoe
11-30-2010, 05:56 PM
So..I know from the looks of it that most people on here are die hard Campy, Shimano, and SRAM fans..it looks like I am settling on the new Campy Record 11 speed..I have never owned Campy so what should I expect? I watched Andy from Competitive Cyclist and his whole youtube film on the new 11 speed stuff but I want to see what all of you think about Campy and your experiences with it. Apparently I am aware that it lasts for a long time, the warranty is good, and that this new 2010-2011 stuff has been engineered for even longer time and it's quality is amazing. I would love to hear all of your guys' feedback, it would be much appreciated :banana: :hello:

It
Is
The
Best

Regardless of level-

maxdog
11-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Best performing components. Best looking. The most expensive, although Record gruppo is no more than 7900. Biggest pain in the A to install.

norcalbiker
11-30-2010, 06:08 PM
Since I switched to Campy, I have not switch back. I started when it was 8 speed and now have a SR 11.

Although, I am thinking of building a climbing bike with sram due to campy's lack big rear cog.

jmeloy
11-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Campy on all of my bikes. Have had Shimano as well and it (Ultegra) certainly worked well but Campy works for me functionally and visually.

Only other comment... I had Athena 11 on a new build and found it to be a bit noisy (clattering between gears) but I am a bad wrench. BUT the 10 speed I now have on all my bikes (Record/Chorus/Centaur mix) is just flawless!

oldpotatoe
11-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Since I switched to Campy, I have not switch back. I started when it was 8 speed and now have a SR 11.

Although, I am thinking of building a climbing bike with sram due to campy's lack big rear cog.

29 not big enough? Before apex, largest sram was 28....get a Campagnolo long cage RD and use shimano 11-32/4 9s with 10s ERGO..works great.

Or a triple, 11s Campagnolo, long cage Campagnolo RD..12-29..make the small ring a 26....much lower than 34-34....

Kirk007
11-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Get some good torx wrenches like t- handled ones and be careful not to strip the ergo shifted tightening bolts when installing on handlebars. It is a bit of a pita but if you take your time and have the right tool for the job it will go fine.

97CSI
11-30-2010, 06:43 PM
Get some good torx wrenches like t- handled ones and be careful not to strip the ergo shifted tightening bolts when installing on handlebars. It is a bit of a pita but if you take your time and have the right tool for the job it will go fine.Did Campy go to torx in '09?

zmudshark
11-30-2010, 07:16 PM
But your hijacking a username really sucks.
Are you here just to rack up some useless posts and sell your crap?

Disclaimer: The real TooManyBikes is a personal friend.

itspeedmoore
11-30-2010, 07:22 PM

dude, get over it.

PETER REID
11-30-2010, 07:23 PM
I have ridden Campy since the late 60's. There was a brief sojourn to Shimano, Suntour and Mavic, but I have always come back to the big C. Set up is easy, wears forever, parts on older groups are still available easily... Whats not to like?

Peter

Jeff N.
11-30-2010, 07:39 PM
I own bikes with both Campy Super Record-11 and Dura Ace 7900. They're both fabulous. Campy's vastly improved lever ergonomics was a long time coming. The only problem is:
Campy: "No, but we can order it for you"
Shimano: "Sure! How many do you need?" Jeff N.

CyclingGuru
11-30-2010, 07:42 PM
I have a friend who has been on the forum since 2006 I think and he told me about it. I'm 29 years old..i'm a mechanical engineer and I don't need to make money off of a forum selling bike parts, I just love talking bikes with people. Considering I have 21 bikes..I legitimately believe I have TOO MANY BIKES. No need to cut me down..I thought this was a friendly place.

maxdog
11-30-2010, 07:46 PM
I have a friend who has been on the forum since 2006 I think and he told me about it. I'm 29 years old..i'm a mechanical engineer and I don't need to make money off of a forum selling bike parts, I just love talking bikes with people. Considering I have 21 bikes..I legitimately believe I have TOO MANY BIKES. No need to cut me down..I thought this was a friendly place.

Relax, just consider his self description.

Jeff N.
11-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Wow! I own 13 and I thought IIIIIIIIIIII had a problem! :) Hey, don't get scared off...it IS a friendly place! (for the most part...) Jeff N.

97CSI
11-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery (or an honest mistake). It's all good.

CyclingGuru
11-30-2010, 07:50 PM
I have 14 that are functional..and in that 21 I count my wife's 4 bikes because guess who put down the cash :crap:

zmudshark
11-30-2010, 07:56 PM

Originality is not your strong suit, and I, being very old school, find it just a bit off putting.

We all have Too Many Bikes, or at least most of us.

CyclingGuru
11-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Hm, considering you don't know me, great online observation. To be completely honest, i had no idea i copied anyone. Cheers!

zmudshark
11-30-2010, 08:26 PM
Hm, considering you don't know me, great online observation. To be completely honest, i had no idea i copied anyone. Cheers!

Well he changed his long standing handle here just because of you. I guess the 81 is showing.

Cheers, sport.

rounder
11-30-2010, 08:53 PM
I switched a few years ago. Until then, i was riding shimano 8-speed with downtube shifters. So for me, the difference was not going with more gears or ergo. It was a leap of faith. I went to a bikeswap and bought a few parts there, and filled the rest. I liked the way it worked, sort of like paddle shifters on a car. I liked supporting a company that has been into bikes and racing for a long time. I liked the fact that you can replace parts when they wear out, and keep on going. After having ridden it for a few years now, i like the design of the parts and philosophy of the company.

CyclingGuru
11-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks Rounder. I agree with supporting a company that has been around for awhile and has good prestige. I can't wait till I get it on my bike!

soul survivor
11-30-2010, 09:43 PM
TMB -- this is a GREAT FORUM. Don't take the few over-the-top posters seriously, they think that only they have the appropriate views (sounds like Palin types, huh?) You're going to find many wonderful posters here, extremely knowledgeable and even caring.

Soul Survivor :beer:

CyclingGuru
11-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Soul..when we meet the drinks are on me.

ciclisto
11-30-2010, 11:04 PM
no need for record or super record chorus is fine enough just check out the small difference in weight not worth the money.

CyclingGuru
12-01-2010, 12:31 AM
Along with the ceramics used.

jbrainin
12-01-2010, 12:50 AM
No need for long cage derailleur for 2010 Campy stuff as it is able to hand 12-29 by design. And if you have 2009 Super Record stuff, it's easy to convert that to be compatible with a 29 too.

CyclingGuru
12-01-2010, 12:55 AM
Should I get the Chorus group..or the Record..

Kirk007
12-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Chorus. If you are really counting grams the two big differences are crankset and cassette. Everything else is trivial.

CyclingGuru
12-01-2010, 01:18 AM
The thing is I found a a brand new Record group for $1,400..which is a great deal. There are Chorus groups for $1,150 that are customizable. For $250 more..wouldn't you think it's just worth getting the Record?

Lionel
12-01-2010, 03:33 AM
Get Super Record and be done with it. Sell one bike if needed :)

crownjewelwl
12-01-2010, 05:18 AM
The thing is I found a a brand new Record group for $1,400..which is a great deal. There are Chorus groups for $1,150 that are customizable. For $250 more..wouldn't you think it's just worth getting the Record?

If you don't need the new graphics, you can probably find last year's stuff on closeout. I saw an SR gruppo on the bay for $1500. I think the biggest difference (other than the graphics) is pretty small. Biggest difference is SR is available with Ti spindle crank.

Good luck! Get Campy and don't look back! SR is so sexy...

AngryScientist
12-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Should I get the Chorus group..or the Record..

one thing is for sure, you will not be able to tell the difference functionally. there is certainly nothing wrong with having some nice components for the sake of having nice stuff though. if it's not stretching your budget, and is what calls to you, i wouldn't hesitate to get the record.

stick with chorus cassettes though, they last longer :)

Ralph
12-01-2010, 08:46 AM
The only complaint I have with 11 speed is I have no need for a 12 teeth cog. Would prefer that 11th cog be an 18 or something in a 11's 13-29. So I didn't go 11 speed on recent bike build instead using 2010 Centaur...which had same internals in shifter (according to Dave) as higher end 11.

But now, to get the best stuff, according to Internet wisdom, you gotta go Chorus and up. Athena is Powershift.

I'm to old to care about snob appeal of parts, and would rather buy 100 shares of $10 stock than go from Centaur to Record if I don't need it. And I could care less about how many cogs the chain moves with a sweep. So maybe Powershift OK for me on next bike build.

I guess I could use a TA 11's 46 or 48 and use 34-48 and current 11's.

97CSI
12-01-2010, 09:17 AM
The only complaint I have with 11 speed is I have no need for a 12 teeth cog. Would prefer that 11th cog be an 18 or something in a 11's 13-29. So I didn't go 11 speed on recent bike build instead using 2010 Centaur...which had same internals in shifter (according to Dave) as higher end 11.

But now, to get the best stuff, according to Internet wisdom, you gotta go Chorus and up. Athena is Powershift.

I'm to old to care about snob appeal of parts, and would rather buy 100 shares of $10 stock than go from Centaur to Record if I don't need it. And I could care less about how many cogs the chain moves with a click. So maybe Powershift OK for me on next bike build.s.Agree with most of what you say......... but find stripping several cogs at a time too useful when climbing to be willing to give up.

aoe
12-01-2010, 10:13 AM
stick with chorus cassettes though, they last longer :)

+1

champ
12-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Out of the box Shimano and SRAM will shift better than Campy but once broken-in Campy is superior for shifting. Each Campy component is designed to be rebuilt so you will find the value over time even if the initial price is high. Among the 11 spd parts Record is the best value considering weight, price and function.

oldpotatoe
12-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Out of the box Shimano and SRAM will shift better than Campy but once broken-in Campy is superior for shifting. Each Campy component is designed to be rebuilt so you will find the value over time even if the initial price is high. Among the 11 spd parts Record is the best value considering weight, price and function.

Old wive's tale. Internals of 2009 and later ERGO vastly different than 2008 and older. The only years that Campagnolo 'broke in' was 1997 and older.

BUT I agree, the best shifting for sram and shimano is the first day, then...

terrytnt
12-01-2010, 11:49 AM
I waited quite a few years to purchase Campy. With my custom bike in 2006 I purchased Campy Record. Incredible. Now, I'm considering upgrading to Record 2011 (Lickbike for $1800 - matching UK prices with US warrantee).

I will never look back!!!

edward12
12-01-2010, 11:53 AM
I have 2010 Athena and Record gruppos on two of my bikes. Other than weight, I can't discern any performance between the two. I also have have older Chorus, Centaur and Veloce groops on other bikes, which all perform extremely well. Campy really produces fine products throughout its range.

oldpotatoe
12-01-2010, 12:01 PM
I waited quite a few years to purchase Campy. With my custom bike in 2006 I purchased Campy Record. Incredible. Now, I'm considering upgrading to Record 2011 (Lickbike for $1800 - matching UK prices with US warrantee).

I will never look back!!!

Think that's for 2010...2011 is $2125..yes I know there is little/no difference between the 2.

akelman
12-01-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm sorry, but hasn't the OP stated (here and elsethread) that he's buying a Record group, then a Dura Ace group, then a Record group, and now maybe a Chorus group? I'm really not trying to be a jerk; it's just that I'm pretty confused and starting to wonder what's what.

akelman
12-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Honestly, with all due respect, this thread, and the OP especially, sort of reminds me of Izalco Expert or whatever his name was. If I'm wrong, I apologize sincerely, but this whole thing is just a bit odd.

terrytnt
12-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Price is accurate. I confirmed with Bob at Lickbike, Campy Record 2011 is $1800 (at least it was a week ago)

Kirk007
12-01-2010, 12:52 PM
* double post

Kirk007
12-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Check out Velomine as well for Campy parts in USA. I just bought a 2011 chorus group with a 2010 SR Crankset (need 180) for a very nice price.

CyclingGuru
12-01-2010, 01:39 PM
Velomine I hear has good prices but do you get the warranty when you purchase off of eBay?

The reason why I switched back from deciding on the Dura Ace is because I was going to trade for the 7900 but I decided not to hence why I decided on Campy. Who's "Izalco Expert" Akelman...?

akelman
12-01-2010, 01:58 PM
He was a guy who was around for a while and now isn't. If you're not him, the less said the better. Really, the thread seemed weird, and something about your reaction to other posters reminded me of Izalco Expert. That was it.

Also, while I sincerely welcome you to this place, let me add my voice to the chorus suggesting that you ask the mods to change your screen name. There was and is a "toomanybikes" here, and I find your choice of screen names -- even though I accept that it was totally inadvertent -- really confusing. It's also too bad that he had to change his screen name as a result of your choice. Based on the bedrock principles that our society has learned from the example of professional sports, I think you should probably have offered him thousands of dollars if you wanted his jersey number.

akelman
12-01-2010, 02:03 PM
Also also, let me add that none of this is any my damned business, and I should have kept my mouth shut. Cardinal rule of sane Internet discourse: violated! Seriously, I regret have spoken up and apologize for any feathers that I may have ruffled.

endosch2
12-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I love campy I have 10S Chorus and I have bought about 1/2 of a record 11 group - plan to install this spring.

zmudshark
12-01-2010, 03:55 PM
He was a guy who was around for a while and now isn't. If you're not him, the less said the better. Really, the thread seemed weird, and something about your reaction to other posters reminded me of Izalco Expert. That was it.

Also, while I sincerely welcome you to this place, let me add my voice to the chorus suggesting that you ask the mods to change your screen name. There was and is a "toomanybikes" here, and I find your choice of screen names -- even though I accept that it was totally inadvertent -- really confusing. It's also too bad that he had to change his screen name as a result of your choice. Based on the bedrock principles that our society has learned from the example of professional sports, I think you should probably have offered him thousands of dollars if you wanted his jersey number.

Except you can't buy a reputation, and the real TMB's is beyond reproach.

oldpotatoe
12-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Price is accurate. I confirmed with Bob at Lickbike, Campy Record 2011 is $1800 (at least it was a week ago)

$2125..site updated yesterday. Guess he got another phone call. Still a good price but only about $200 less than mine.

I'm all about supporting US resellers. The problem isn't Lickbike, it's the fishy distribution and prices for UK sites...

Dave
12-01-2010, 04:59 PM
Shiny bikes is about $1600 for 2011 Record, Chorus about $1150 and Athena about $725.

http://www.shinybikes.com/bike/Groupsets/

CyclingGuru
12-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Velomine has the SR for $1,600. I am fine with just getting the Record though. You know..I will ask to have my name changed since it bothered so many, sorry to be such an inconvenience.

maxdog
12-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Velomine has the SR for $1,600. I am fine with just getting the Record though. You know..I will ask to have my name changed since it bothered so many, sorry to be such an inconvenience.

True, but you should qualify that as 2010 SR. 2011 is substantially more expensive.

CyclingGuru
12-01-2010, 06:13 PM
The only difference are the Red graphics on them..haha they are pretty much identical.

CyclingGuru
12-01-2010, 06:43 PM
For all of you who were upset about my username, I had it changed for you.

thwart
12-01-2010, 06:46 PM
You know..I will ask to have my name changed since it bothered so many, sorry to be such an inconvenience. Classy thing to do.

BTW, I like the new one much more... :)

CyclingGuru
12-01-2010, 06:47 PM
Thank you sir! I just don't want people upset with me when I didn't mean to harm anyone :) Your name is a great one.

akelman
12-01-2010, 06:56 PM
I genuinely appreciate your decision and thank you for it. And I apologize again for being snitty earlier.

CyclingGuru
12-01-2010, 07:16 PM
No worries. Have a good evening.

btulloch
12-01-2010, 08:20 PM
attn: check the sram red post in classifieds........

akelman
12-01-2010, 08:25 PM
You might want to consider posting what you posted over there over here as well. As I said in that thread, I think the mods will sort this out pretty quickly. But really, it's good for people to know that there well might be a problem.

terrytnt
12-01-2010, 08:35 PM
I've never used Shinybikes... are these guys reliable??? How do they compare with other UK providers?

terrytnt
12-01-2010, 08:38 PM
By the way, Lickbike must have updated their site once again:

Record 2011 is $1842.25!!!

And that include a 4 year warranty and supports our US local businesses. That's good enough for me...

zmudshark
12-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I've never used Shinybikes... are these guys reliable??? How do they compare with other UK providers?I've bought from Shinybikes. No problems with them at all. I usually use Ribble or PBK or them. All have been up and up.

terrytnt
12-02-2010, 07:14 AM
Thanks for the info on Shinybikes... I emailed them last night and received a response by the time I got to the office today (appears customer focused). Their price on Record 2011 is $1530 plus $44 shipping.
Quite impressive!

crownjewelwl
12-02-2010, 10:11 AM
you can build Record '10 group for ~$1500 from CC with discount code this week. might be a little more, but at least you can sleep at night re: warranty issues.

only parts not on sale are cassette and chain. everything else is on closeout + 10% off now with code.

plus free shipping.

oldpotatoe
12-02-2010, 11:49 AM
By the way, Lickbike must have updated their site once again:

Record 2011 is $1842.25!!!

And that include a 4 year warranty and supports our US local businesses. That's good enough for me...

Help this dumass bike shop owner understand.

See this

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB=%277145-00%27

???

FlashUNC
12-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Help this dumass bike shop owner understand.

See this

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB=%277145-00%27

???

Check the graphic just to the lower left of that:

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='7190'

rice rocket
12-02-2010, 01:25 PM
FWIW, Totalcycling.com's price on the Record 11 is now $1775.

maxdog
12-02-2010, 01:33 PM
FWIW, Totalcycling.com's price on the Record 11 is now $1775.

I see the 2011 Record as 1299 which equates to $2000+

rice rocket
12-02-2010, 01:42 PM
Maybe they like me more?

http://i.imgur.com/Y34w9.png

97CSI
12-02-2010, 01:50 PM
Who is the Campagnolo importer for the U.S.? Does Campy do so itself or use someone else? Anyone know?

maxdog
12-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Maybe they like me more?

http://i.imgur.com/Y34w9.png

Cute, Maybe they do, but they are obviously charging their British customers more than the U.S.

rice rocket
12-02-2010, 02:00 PM
VAT.

maxdog
12-02-2010, 02:22 PM
VAT.

Unless the vat is $250, the Brits are getting hosed.

rice rocket
12-02-2010, 02:34 PM
VAT is 17.5%.

Define hosed though, they get universal healthcare. ;)

zmudshark
12-02-2010, 03:17 PM
There is no VAT for buyers in the US.

oldpotatoe
12-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Check the graphic just to the lower left of that:

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='7190'

Ahhh, pretty crappy website.

terrytnt
12-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Shinybikes confirmed to me yesterday the cost of ~$1800 (which includes $44 for shipping). They also confirmed what zmudshark said... NO VAT for US customers.

That said, I can't figure out what's going on with Lickbike - conflicting messages??? The special clearly denotes Record 2011 at $1800 and change. Warrants a call to Bob...

rice rocket
12-03-2010, 08:41 AM
There is no VAT for buyers in the US.
Thanks for summarizing. ;)

Bob said he'll match whatever Totalcycling.com has, which is $1775. If you're playing the price matching game, you might as well follow what he tells you to do, right?

oldpotatoe
12-03-2010, 09:38 AM
Thanks for summarizing. ;)

Bob said he'll match whatever Totalcycling.com has, which is $1775. If you're playing the price matching game, you might as well follow what he tells you to do, right?

Hope he keeps in volume up...his margin for a group is gettin pretty small, just to compete with some resellers in the UK.

rice rocket
12-03-2010, 10:06 AM
Yeah. Sucks even more now the dollar just got crushed again too, because of Fed funds going to the EU bailout. :bike:

maxdog
12-03-2010, 10:46 AM
Yeah. Sucks even more now the dollar just got crushed again too, because of Fed funds going to the EU bailout. :bike:

As a trader of the financial markets, I would just say, don't be so quick to buy into the headlines. The dollar should inevitably decline further, due to liquidity creation, suppressed interests rates, et al. But the most significant factor will be the U.S. decline as a leading economic force and the status of the dollar as a reserve currency. I hear way too much talk about the dollar and the fed from many who don't seem to have the background or understanding of the complex currency markets or economic history. No offense to you personally of course.

terrytnt
12-05-2010, 08:07 AM
My vote is that we purchase (SUPPORT) our local US businesses, i.e., Bob at Lickbike, even if we pay a few dollars more. I plan to purchase the Record 11 group within the next 4-6 weeks. Let's just hope the dollar vs. euro remains stable....

Ralph
12-05-2010, 08:28 AM
As a trader of the financial markets, I would just say, don't be so quick to buy into the headlines. The dollar should inevitably decline further, due to liquidity creation, suppressed interests rates, et al. But the most significant factor will be the U.S. decline as a leading economic force and the status of the dollar as a reserve currency. I hear way too much talk about the dollar and the fed from many who don't seem to have the background or understanding of the complex currency markets or economic history. No offense to you personally of course.

I generally go on the premise that whatever the majority think....is not what is going to happen.

97CSI
12-05-2010, 08:32 AM
I generally go on the premise that whatever the majority think....is not what is going to happen.Yep......and those in the financial markets don't really care, as long as they can sell you something (anything). No personal offense to maxdog meant, of course.