PDA

View Full Version : Winter Workouts - Staying Motivated

Mike126
11-30-2010, 07:21 AM
Now that the temps have dropped and the winds have picked up, I am starting to ride inside on the trainer during the weeknights. I've never been a big fan of indoor sessions on the bike. After about 20 minutes boredom sets in. I find that flipping through ESPN, soccer, and the news helps some but was wondering what others do to stay motivated. You can only flip through the bike computer and count down miles/minutes for so long! :cool:

d_man16
11-30-2010, 07:29 AM
Sign up for a local spinning class to mix up the workouts, see if you can sign up with a buddy-

thwart
11-30-2010, 07:34 AM
Rollers are more fun...

dsb
11-30-2010, 07:35 AM
The best thing that I have done to improve my trainer time and relieve some of the boredom is having a plan and doing a 'routine'... For example, stand up for a minute every ten minutes, do fast pedal for 2 minutes every ten, do single leg drills, 1 min each leg every ten minutes etc.... That and intervals, intervals work well on the trainer. The 'routine' seems to keep my mind engaged because I'm constantly thinking about what I have to do next that I don't seem to focus on how long I have to be/have been on the trainer ... That and nothing makes an hour on the trainer seem shorter ... than 2 hours on the trainer ...

sg8357
11-30-2010, 07:44 AM
I use the commercial interval training method. Watch TV, then sprint during
the ads, recover during the program. Fox & Disney have the longest commercial breaks.
Football games, sprint during the time outs, a very tough workout.

srice
11-30-2010, 07:44 AM
I've always hated the trainer. This summer, I snagged a used computrainer at a decent price. I've got it set up now and I can already tell that it isn't as mindnumbing as a regular trainer or my rollers. I've also found that it really helps to have a goal in mind rather than just trying to get some quality basement time in. This winter, I have multiple goals. My immediate goal is this:
http://tripledrace.blogspot.com/
About a month after that is my first brevet of 2011 to qualify for PBP.

endosch2
11-30-2010, 07:54 AM
For me I am OK with taking time off the bike - I run more and lift weights more. I also roller ski and then transition to nordic skiing if the snow will ever come... I dont usually touch the bike again until February.

jvp
11-30-2010, 08:18 AM
I mtn. bike more in the colder temps, slower speeds (less wind) plus more upper body movement, steeper climbs, etc. keep me pretty warm.

kgrooney
11-30-2010, 08:33 AM
Now that the temps have dropped and the winds have picked up, I am starting to ride inside on the trainer during the weeknights. I've never been a big fan of indoor sessions on the bike. After about 20 minutes boredom sets in. I find that flipping through ESPN, soccer, and the news helps some but was wondering what others do to stay motivated. You can only flip through the bike computer and count down miles/minutes for so long! :cool:

Spinervals.

false_Aest
11-30-2010, 08:47 AM
i feel the same way about the treadmill.

intervals (although I'm pretty sure TiDesigns would slap me for suggesting this) help.

While dull training sessions might help your fitness I wonder what they do to your brain. If I started getting bored I imagine that I'd start to associate boredum with riding a bike.

It also helps to find yourself a plan that you need to stick to for each session. A checklist if you will. 12 5-minute pieces to concentrate on seems a lot easier to me than 1 60-minute chunk.

layneo59
11-30-2010, 08:57 AM
Try the Sufferfest series of videos at http://www.thesufferfest.com/.

Download them onto your computer, place a monitor in front of your trainer, and you're ready to go! There are 4-5 videos available and are 45-60 minutes long. Great tempo music and interval work which makes the time go by very fast.

They got me through a broken clavicle last winter which kept me off the road for about 2 months.

oldpotatoe
11-30-2010, 09:04 AM

Buy a fixie. Pedal all the time, simple bike, great for the crud, cheap. But some warm clothes. A pro once told me if you are cold it isn't the weather, it's lack of preparation.

dekindy
11-30-2010, 09:05 AM
I concentrate solely on intervals. After warming up, I do 8 sets of balls to the wall, pedal as hard as you can and not be able to go a second longer, 30-second sprints with 90-seconds of rest in between and then cooldown. The interval session itself is 16 minutes plus the warmup and cooldown. I also ride outside on Tuesday evenings for a couple of hours and usually once on the weekend for 40-60 miles depending on which ride that I attend.

I did this last Winter and it helped my cycling tremendously. Intervals are hard to do in group rides and since I only ride in groups the Winter time is the best time to do it. You will definitely not get bored following this regimen. If you ride in the basement be prepared to rest before walking up the stairs.

BTW, I have a Kurt Kinetic basic trainer.

I have also concentrated on one-legged pedaling which helps also.

fiamme red
11-30-2010, 09:08 AM
I bought a 1Up trainer three years ago, and have used it a total of less than one hour since. Just can't get motivated to get on it if it's not snowing outside. And if it's snowing, I'd rather take a walk.

natextr
11-30-2010, 09:12 AM
I have and love the Tacx fortius trainer. Nothing like cycling through Italy in my cold basement after I spent the last hour shoveling snow on our driveway.

That said, I also like riding my track bike on the rollers. It is a great workout and very engaging...

Karin Kirk
11-30-2010, 09:30 AM
IMHO doing a boring or unmotivating workout is a bad idea. If riding the trainer is not appealing, my advice would be to not do it. There is no shortage of alternate forms of exercise that will help maintain fitness and help you become more well rounded.

Consider:
-martial arts classes
-Nordic skiing
-trail running
-some sort of total body or core workout (kettlebells and the like)
-swimming

Cycling season is plenty long (in most places). Spend the off season doing something that keeps your interest up while keeping you fit at the same time. Have fun! :)

RPS
11-30-2010, 09:52 AM
I prefer to ride outside year round but on wet, cold, and windy days like today I know that's not going to happen.

It may seem counterintuitive but for me watching something that I’ve watched many times before on TV makes the time pass much faster. I figure it’s a little like when riding or driving somewhere for the first time it always seems to me much farther compared to when done repeatedly. Old TV series I liked on TiVo or favorite movies on DVD that I've seen before work for me.

When watching recorded TV programs on TiVo I do not fast forward commercials but instead use them for standing intervals. With movies on DVD I do some form of repeat every five minutes for one minute.

forrestw
11-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Slap mudguards onto a fixed gear and ride. I haven't found staying adequately warm is too bad down to ~20F, although at that point the necessary insulation starts to interfere with leg movement. I did a fair number of base miles this way last season and came out the other end in far better shape than the year before when I did a fair bit of time (but less) on rollers.

If it really has to be inside (and tho I love riding in snow I'm not so fond of heavy rain) then I can still get some satisfaction sitting on the rollers, I'm almost able to do ILT's hands-off and that does help take the boredom out of the indoor training :-).

LegendRider
11-30-2010, 11:02 AM
I plan to row on my Concept2 erg. Quick, effective and painful.

Ti Designs
11-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Focus on the end goal helps...

Just sitting on a trainer turning the cranks would probably cause anyone to slip into a coma. The trick is to set up a full season's training program, figure out which bits need to be done on the trainer, then plan out the individual workouts and go to it.

There are some things the trainer is good for, others it's not. Working on pedal stroke is where the trainer is at it's best, doing long base mileage rides on the trainer sucks. If you need to control everything, the trainer works - pedal stroke work, sustained hill work, intervals... I have enough structure in my workouts that the time doesn't drag by so badly. Pedal stroke work is broken up by one minute segments of one leg drills, hill climb work has lots of shifting to simulate changes of grade and on interval workouts the time between the intervals goes by so quickly.

In the end it all comes down to the goal. I honestly don't know how people train without goals. There are plenty of people who say they just ride for fun, but riding a trainer isn't fun, nor is getting back on the bike in the spring when you're out of shape isn't much fun either. The inspiration of having a goal keeps you on a training plan, the fitness makes the next season more fun.

vpierce1
11-30-2010, 11:22 AM
I haven't read through the whole thread, however I see Ti Designs mentioned goals. Don't just have goals, but WRITE THEM DOWN in a log you look at daily or weekly. Have both long-term and short-term goals in there. Obviously the short-term should supplement the long-term.

Also, figure out goals for each individual workout. Even if its just a heart rate/power zone you'd like to stay in for a majority of the ride, a certain amount of time or during intervals. Then record what you actually do, even if you don't meet the workout structure you set. I find this keeps me from just spinning mindlessly just trying to get the time in. Also put stretching, core work etc in the schedule and have a structure of what you'd like to accomplish on those days. It's easy to say "oh, I did 4 hours yesterday today is my day off the bike. I really don't think that 30 minutes of core is going to matter." It does. WRITE IT DOWN.

To be motivated in the first place one has to have goals they wish to achieve and it sounds like you have them. Now figure out how you're going to get there and put it down on paper. Keep that contract to yourself somewhere as a constant reminder.

Kingfisher
11-30-2010, 11:55 AM
You've got to have a routine or you'll go nuts!!! I've used an interval workout that I picked up in Eddie B's book a long time ago....
- warm up for 15 to 20 minutes spinning
- you are going to do 2 interval sessions, 3 minutes each in a progressively higher gear, ie, 3 minutes in a 53x19, then immediately up it to 3 min in a 53x17 and then finish off in a 53x15 or whatever gear works.
- take a 10 minutes rest and do it again and then cool down for 10 minutes
This routine usually takes 50 minutes or so and gives an incredible workout, but do it every other day.
Remember, if you are struggling to maintain 90-100 rpm in the first 3 min set, you are in too high a gear.

I do usually find that the second set of 3's is easier, because i'm thoroughly warmed up

rugbysecondrow
11-30-2010, 12:43 PM
IMHO doing a boring or unmotivating workout is a bad idea. If riding the trainer is not appealing, my advice would be to not do it. There is no shortage of alternate forms of exercise that will help maintain fitness and help you become more well rounded.

Consider:
-martial arts classes
-Nordic skiing
-trail running
-some sort of total body or core workout (kettlebells and the like)
-swimming

Cycling season is plenty long (in most places). Spend the off season doing something that keeps your interest up while keeping you fit at the same time. Have fun! :)

100% agree. I find this is helpful too if you have a cycling/sport injury, being able to enjoy another activity is important and to take a break. I like riding, but I like being active more so pretty much anything is fine with me. I have ridden twice in the last three weeks, I am good with that. Lots of running, kettlebell work and some swimming. Even joining a basketball or volleyball team would be fun and help you stay active.

Good points Karin.

Ti Designs
11-30-2010, 02:10 PM
To be motivated in the first place one has to have goals they wish to achieve and it sounds like you have them.

As you get older, fears work just as well...

1centaur
11-30-2010, 05:53 PM
I say this every winter in these threads, but if you are not dead set on training and the pain that goes with it, if you are just trying to maintain bike fitness and burn calories, and you are not lucky enough to have a Computrainer, then a book is WAY better than TV because it is much more involving. With a good book on a reading stand attached to the bars, it's possible to do 300-400 calories without feeling burned out in the least.

false_Aest
11-30-2010, 06:16 PM
eff it man.

just give up.

get fat.

Bud_E
11-30-2010, 06:23 PM
eff it man.

just give up.

get fat.

I'm way ahead of you.

Steve in SLO
11-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Step 1:
Stand naked in front of a mirror with eyes closed.
Step 2:
Form a metal picture of what you would like to look like.
Step 3:
Open your eyes (c'mon, don't be afraid)
Step 4:
Look at the parts of you that don't meet your mental image.
Step 5:
Figure out fun, varied (or at least non-heinous) ways to work on those parts.
Step 6:
Tell me if it works, then maybe I'll try it.
In the meantine, I'll have a beer. :beer:

rugbysecondrow
11-30-2010, 07:17 PM
Step 1:
Stand naked in front of a mirror with eyes closed.
Step 2:
Form a metal picture of what you would like to look like.
Step 3:
Open your eyes (c'mon, don't be afraid)
Step 4:
Look at the parts of you that don't meet your mental image.
Step 5:
Figure out fun, varied (or at least non-heinous) ways to work on those parts.
Step 6:
Tell me if it works, then maybe I'll try it.
In the meantine, I'll have a beer. :beer:

Also, exercise will only solve so much, so realize that what you see might just be as good as it gets. (a string with a weight on the other end won't solve THAT problem) :)

stephenmarklay
11-30-2010, 08:11 PM
I plan to row on my Concept2 erg. Quick, effective and painful.

I just added this in the mix of things I do. They have a couple at the gym. I have done it twice now. I started at 5000m and going slowish and steady I kept my HR in the 140 range. It was like 21 minutes. I don't know what the little 1-10 thing does so I did 5. I checked out online vids to make sure my form was decent. One thing is that my butt cramps up. I am sure I will overcome that

I am going to do this 3x/week.

My other exercise looks super goofy but I love it. I do an upper body ergo (fluid type) but standing up. Great core hips etc. I can do it for an hour and at an endurance HR and I love it. I switch my feet a bit like I am boxing (I used to box a bit). Everyone in the gym used to look at me like I was from mars. Now I see other people do it :)

rugbysecondrow
11-30-2010, 08:17 PM
My other exercise looks super goofy but I love it. I do an upper body ergo (fluid type) but standing up. Great core hips etc. I can do it for an hour and at an endurance HR and I love it. I switch my feet a bit like I am boxing (I used to box a bit). Everyone in the gym used to look at me like I was from mars. Now I see other people do it :)

What is this?

Thanks

stephenmarklay
11-30-2010, 08:33 PM
What is this?

Thanks

This is the Machine. The seat slides back and the arm rotates up so you can stand. I pedal with my arms but the power comes from the core and hips when you stand. The best thing is that it uses muscles you neglect on the bike.

Today was 90 minutes on the bike, 40 in that ergo and 20 on the rower. Nice variety for the mind...

93legendti
11-30-2010, 09:03 PM
Always worth reposting:

Why they are called trainers
and not "riders". If what you want is a ride, go outside and ride. Sure, you can train outside, but as to efforts such as intervals, a staple of training, indoors is best as variables can be minimized, some of those variables being wind, temperature, and distracting vehicles, all assuming a constant course for the effort.

Trainers are best for training. Anyone who expects the pleasure of a ride from a trainer is in for some disappointment. Without goals in mind, if you grind away at a trainer going postal is a reasonable expectation.

keno
They should print that out and include it with every basic trainer sold.

Before we go into which trainer is best we need to look at what you're looking to do with it. Some people want to continue riding their bikes all winter long. That's fine if you're happy with where you are in fitness and form. For these people there are trainers which try to make it more enjoyable - Computrainer, GameBike... If you're not happy with your cycling last season (Sandy going up a hill...) what would make you think that more of the same would do much good? If you do, I could save you the cost of a trainer by telling you to draw a circle on the wall of your basement and always bang your head there - it'll do the same thing.

As Keno pointed out, the trainer is isolation and elimination of variables. No road changes, no turns, no traffic, no hills, no end to the hills... If you want to work on a single aspect of cycling, the trainer is the place to do it. Winter is the time to break down cycling into it's component parts, see which parts need work and fix problems. Riding in the spring is a whole lot more enjoyable when you're not struggling with the same problems you had last year.

rugbysecondrow
11-30-2010, 09:29 PM
As an aside, I have been doing many more leg exercises also. For instance, I had been training for a few weeks, but did my first full pistol squat today ( was able to do a few with each leg). I decided that the winter (being indoors) was a chance to work in some different training exercises that I might not practice during the summer. I have incorporated some other core/hamstring exercises with the stability ball that I have been happy with.

Anyway, thought I would share that as well. The trainer or rollers might be a necessary evil for some, but being able to truly mix it it up is fun for me. Try new stuff. Riding is one of the things I do, but not all I do so my riding is gear around fitness but my fitness is not geared around riding....if that makes any sense.

stephenmarklay
11-30-2010, 10:40 PM
I bought all of these video as well as all of the Cycleops/Robbie Ventura videos. They are all good. I am only doing 1 per week right now as I am working up my endurance but I will starting working these in more heavily later. In January I will get 2 per week and in Feb 3 per week.

On the sufferfest videos I downloaded software (free) to burn them to a DVD so I did not have to hassle with a computer in the Garage. Bonus is that the quality seems a bit better not going through my laptop video card.

Actually take a look at the site - sent in my little workout spot and he posted it http://www.thesufferfest.com/bike-torture-chamber/ I am the Steven! A couple down with the Tarmac.

Try the Sufferfest series of videos at http://www.thesufferfest.com/.

Download them onto your computer, place a monitor in front of your trainer, and you're ready to go! There are 4-5 videos available and are 45-60 minutes long. Great tempo music and interval work which makes the time go by very fast.

They got me through a broken clavicle last winter which kept me off the road for about 2 months.

stephenmarklay
11-30-2010, 11:14 PM
My $0.02 is as follows.

Hour(ish) videos like sufferfest or the robbie ventura videos leave little room for getting board. They are worth getting and doing for bike time in the winter.

If you are flying solo with no videos do music and a structured workout. For example do 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 spin ups with or whatever you want to work on. The rest time is never long enough and the "on" time goes slow but you are not board.

If you just want to do honest to goodness endurance riding of longer duration make sure you are well rested both mentally and physically. If you have not slept well or enough do a shorter harder effort. Once your going you will be fine with higher intensity. If you try to do a long ride and are tired to start it will hurt you :).

The other needed component is several video sources. I use Netflix, cable, DVD's etc. My attention span is not great and I rarely watch just a single show (Top gear videos was an exception). I like sci-fi tv series the best. Every 45 minutes you start new and they keep your attention better that way.last thing is get off the bike now and again. Don't plow through 4 hours without getting off, having a snack, maybe a stretch or two etc.

I get off every 90 minutes for just 5 minutes. Eat a bit, pee etc. That way you are just riding 90 minutes (mind games do work)