PDA

View Full Version : OT - I need to pick a red wine for dinner ..

TMB
11-29-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm away from home.

Again.

Sitting having dinner by myself in yet another restaurant.

I have ordered the pepper steak - which is actually really good.

What Red shall I order???

ultraman6970
11-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Gato negro is an excelent wine if you can find it. (chilean wine)

martinrjensen
11-29-2010, 07:13 PM
if it's a good Pepper steak, just ask the waiter. he knows what they have on hand. (Cab for me)I'm away from home.

Again.

Sitting having dinner by myself in yet another restaurant.

I have ordered the pepper steak - which is actually really good.

What Red shall I order???

Ken Robb
11-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Red Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah

chuckroast
11-29-2010, 07:19 PM
Big steak....big cab.....

Ken Robb
11-29-2010, 07:19 PM
I used to thin "Red Zinfandel" was redundant until I ordered a bottle of "Zinfandel" and the waitress brought WHITE zinfandel! When I told her I wanted "RED zin she said she didn't know it came that way! We refer to white zin as "pink muck" at our house.

martinrjensen
11-29-2010, 07:21 PM
What did you get? I know I couldn't have gone 8 minutes without a glass of wine. I'm drinking a glass of cab right now, cheap cab from Grocery Outlet but it's pretty good for a second or third glass.

Jangles13
11-29-2010, 07:21 PM
I would do a Malbec (Argentina preferably) or a Shiraz (Australia). Cabs are pretty standard fare with steaks though, hard to go wrong there. For a pepper steak I would just want something with a little more kick than most cabs.

zmudshark
11-29-2010, 07:22 PM
First, name change due to the new poster who stole your nickname?

Second, beer.

Problem solved.

AngryScientist
11-29-2010, 07:23 PM
i'm enjoying a delicious malbec as we speak (type...). tonight, that would have been my choice.

TMB
11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Well,

Apart from posting this in the wrong forum ( classifieds ??!!),

I did in fact pick a Argentinian Malbec - 1/2 litre to wash 7 hours of driving away.

Cheers.

martinrjensen
11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
yea, what's up with that? do you think ...19 is still available?First, name change due to the new poster who stole your nickname?

Second, beer.

Problem solved.

martinrjensen
11-29-2010, 07:25 PM
No really, you "did" buy something, and I for one would call wine bike relatedWell,

Apart from posting this in the wrong forum ( classifieds ??!!),

I did in fact pick a Argentinian Malbec - 1/2 litre to wash 7 hours of driving away.

Cheers.

TMB
11-29-2010, 07:26 PM
First, name change due to the new poster who stole your nickname?

Second, beer.

Problem solved.

Name change to reduce possible confusion.

Just don't feel like a beer tonight.

Malbec it is.

zmudshark
11-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Always better for a decade old poster to change his name for a newbee.

I always called you 'TMB' anyways.

I will try to refrain from cheap GWN jokes, lest I get chastised, like in general.

TMB
11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
This is one of those hard luck towns.

I got to know it back in the early '80's and we all remember what that time was like. It was a ghost town, people pulling up and leaving, looking for better luck somewhere else.

In the interim it has regained all of it, and grown bigger, and become a "destination" for people from Calgary and Spokane and even further afield - people looking for recreation - skiing -

Now it's on the downslide again. It's like the early '80's all over again.

You can feel it when you drive into town. You can taste it in the air, the desparation. The hard times.

This place is all about ranching, logging and mining. They are all on their backs.

When you come into a town, like this one, at this stage of the cycle you can just feel it.

Tomorrow will be a very long, very hard day.

TMB
11-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Always better for a decade old poster to change his name for a newbee.

I always called you 'TMB' anyways.

I will try to refrain from cheap GWN jokes, lest I get chastised, like in general.

Exactly why I told Pete that TMB made some sense.

AngryScientist
11-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Tomorrow will be a very long, very hard day.

Unless you dont want to get into it, tell us more, what industry/profession are you in that brings you to a town like you describe?

TMB
11-29-2010, 08:01 PM
I don't mind.

I'm a CA ( chartered accountant) in Canada. And a CPA in the US.

I'm also a Bankruptcy Trustee. The US is one of 2 places where trustees are lawyers and appointed on a case by case basis by the court,

Up here, you have to be a CA ( or equivalent) and it's another 5 years after getting the CA/CPA.

I do corporate work, mostly restructuring work. These days that's harder - a lot harder. Very few buyers for assets and certainly not at any prices that make sense to a new lender.

So a lot of it these days is the cold water/wet fish treatment; get the mouring over and move on type of stuff.

This town is an example. I have a couple of long term clients here, and I think it's the end of the road for both of them.

Long day.

wc1934
11-29-2010, 08:23 PM
+1 on the malbec OR,
my favorite = Nero d'Avola - sicilian

zmudshark
11-29-2010, 08:28 PM
I don't mind.

I'm a CA ( chartered accountant) in Canada. And a CPA in the US.

I'm also a Bankruptcy Trustee. The US is one of 2 places where trustees are lawyers and appointed on a case by case basis by the court,

Up here, you have to be a CA ( or equivalent) and it's another 5 years after getting the CA/CPA.

I do corporate work, mostly restructuring work. These days that's harder - a lot harder. Very few buyers for assets and certainly not at any prices that make sense to a new lender.

So a lot of it these days is the cold water/wet fish treatment; get the mouring over and move on type of stuff.

This town is an example. I have a couple of long term clients here, and I think it's the end of the road for both of them.

Long day.

I know how difficult it is for you in these situations. You are WAY too nice to give bad news to people.

Here's hoping it turns around soon.

TMB
11-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Thanks.

all about tomorrow right now.

TMB
11-29-2010, 09:12 PM
OK,

I just clued in to the new signature line ...

Pretty funny,

Thanks, boss.

AngryScientist
11-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Long day.

good luck pal, try and stay positive.

my line of work takes me to various coal fired power plants, they are usually situated around old coal towns, i understand how these towns can go to pieces. its totally eerie to walk through the center of a once thriving town boarded up and left for dead. there are a lot of hard stories in these towns, sometimes with no one left to tell them.

Birddog
11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
TMB, you referring to Nelson? I love that place.
Birddog

TMB
11-29-2010, 10:06 PM
TMB, you referring to Nelson? I love that place.
Birddog

Nope.

Further over. I'm in Cranbrook tonight.

Funny thing is, one of the guys on my staff is in Nelson tonight.

znfdl
11-30-2010, 08:24 AM
Red Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah

A Paso Robles or a Russian River Zinfandel

97CSI
11-30-2010, 08:28 AM
We've been very pleased with a couple of bottles of '99 Simi Reserve cab this week. Maybe a couple of years past peak, but the box was buried in the stack. Still a wonderful, fruity wine.

54ny77
11-30-2010, 08:31 AM
Speaking of Paso (Martin Bros. winery), check out this bizarre but humbling story:

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/111434/familys-fall-from-affluence-is-swift-and-hard

A Paso Robles or a Russian River Zinfandel