PDA

View Full Version : Solid versus tubular saddle rails?

RPS
11-29-2010, 12:23 PM
In looking at saddles I have only the very lightest states “tubular” titanium rails. Others look like the rails are bent in such a way that if they were tubes they probably would have wrinkled.

Anyone have any idea how common one is versus the other?

RPS
11-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Let me rephrase the question. Has anyone crushed or damaged a saddle rail by over tightening? Additionally, has anyone broken a saddle rail in the past, and if so, was it hollow or solid? Any info is appreciated.

regularguy412
11-29-2010, 07:29 PM
No specific experience with ti rails of any kind. However, I have 3 Selle Italia SLK's. One is a Gel. Other two are regular foam padding. All have tubular Vanox rails. No problems at all. I've ridden one of them well over 3,000 miles on my TG over the last 2 years. The others see service on my fixie and my trainer bike (gel version). I'd like to think the Vanox is less brittle than the titanium.

As a frame of reference, I'm between 165 and 175 lbs, depending on the time of year.

Mike in AR :beer:

rnhood
11-29-2010, 08:46 PM
Specialized uses solid Ti rails on their team saddles (ie., team Toupe) as they provide an extra degree of robustness - so they told me. It makes sense all things being equal.

RPS
11-30-2010, 09:22 AM
Specialized uses solid Ti rails on their team saddles (ie., team Toupe) as they provide an extra degree of robustness - so they told me. It makes sense all things being equal.
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback from both of you.

I’m trying to determine which of my old saddles are more likely to have solid rails because I plan/need to clamp an older saddle between two flat surfaces and want to minimize chance of crushing the rails. My first thought was that saddles with titanium rails are more likely to be solid due to the lower stiffness of titanium versus Chrome-Moly. In that sense it makes sense to me too.

Since I’ll be installing an older saddle I guess I shouldn’t be too worried about damaging it in the first place.

Tim
11-30-2010, 02:51 PM
I've broken a Titanium railed Selle Italia SLR saddle rail- it's solid.

RPS
11-30-2010, 05:18 PM
I've broken a Titanium railed Selle Italia SLR saddle rail- it's solid.
I went with an Avocet O2 with titanium rails to replace the very wide and very padded seat on my stationary bike. I just finished my first hour workout this afternoon and for now it all seems to be holding OK. I tightened the plate adaptor I made just enough so the saddle won’t move thinking that if it does it won’t be too big a deal on a stationary exercise bike – not like it’s going to cause an accident if the saddle shifts a little.

The biggest gain I noticed was moving the saddle forward about 4 CM, which allowed me to spin a lot more naturally.

FGC
11-30-2010, 05:50 PM
I broke the solid titanium rails on a San Marco Rolls a while ago. I was really surprised to see it happen. It broke where the rail enters the back of the saddle.

I wouldn't worry too much about crushing solid rails. I don't think saddle rail failure is all that common, tubular or solid. The shell of the saddle is much more likely to fail than the rails.

Sheldon4209
11-30-2010, 07:15 PM
I broke a solid saddle Ti rail on a Specialized saddle a few years ago. Because of a steep seat tube angle the saddle was all the way back in the seat post. I have thought that this stresses the rails more.