PDA

View Full Version : I would like to hear from Aliante lovers that have tried the new Versus model

dekindy
11-29-2010, 09:42 AM
What has anyone's experience been with the new Versus model compared to the original design?

Charles M
11-29-2010, 12:05 PM
A little softer padding but other than that, it just has a dent down the middle.

So far I've heard folks that like it (on all three Fizik models) and folks that don't.

The problem (for some, not all) with a trench versus a cut out is that, for some, the canal isn't deep enough and you wind up feeling the ridge of the "canyon" and not getting the full relief of material being gone versus being lower...

Lots of times solks that like a curved saddle but want a channel find themselves happier with a channel saddle that is a bit flatter... If there's a demo place I would strongly suggest demoing the saddle and trying the Selle SanMarco Montra and Fizik Antares. A few folks that like curves and channels but cant find a happy spot have really likes them...

AngryScientist
11-29-2010, 12:14 PM
i use one on my single speed bike that i wear street clothes on. it's definitely cushier than the other fizik offerings. i like it to ride short distances without chamois, but i dont think it would work for me over longer miles/time in the saddle. it may have a "love channel", but i think the compression of the saddle material works to negate the idea of it.

all that said, i second the Pez recommendation to test ride one if you can.

JMerring
11-29-2010, 12:33 PM
competitive cyclist used to have a demo program but i can't find it on their website so don't know if they still do. however, they have a 60-day 'nqa' (as in, no questions asked) return policy that applies to just about everything except custom orders. it seems extremely broad and there is no explicit exception for damage, etc.

rice rocket
11-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah, I never understood that about CompetitiveCyclist. They have a $75, 1 week test program for a dozen saddles (which is barely enough time to try 2 saddles, let alone 12)...or you can just return it, no questions asked?

Edit: Just spoke to Andy @ CompetitiveCyclist, it was discontinued a few months back.

I might be a candidate for the Aliante Versus; I had pubic bone/soft tissue pain on the Antares, which I think the Aliante "solved" with cushier padding, but it's never been outright comfortable. Or maybe Antares Versus, who knows.

victoryfactory
11-29-2010, 05:10 PM
Saddles must be tested for a week or two
The best program I've seen was at a shop
on long island called Cycle Paths (now closed)
they had a big box of used saddles
and they would charge you 100 bucks
to pick one to try. If it didn't work out
you could return it and select another and another
After a month you could choose your favorite
and they would present you with a brand
new model of your choice and you paid
the difference.
Every shop should do this IMO
OTOH, maybe that's why they closed

VF

I'm an Aliante fan but my impression of grooved saddles is that
it may be a bit of snake oil.

Charles M
11-30-2010, 07:46 AM
If your sit bones mate well with the shape, the trench will help some folks with just that little bit less material.

When there's a structural difference like that, it's not a solution for everyone, but it's short of snake oil...

oldpotatoe
11-30-2010, 08:52 AM
What has anyone's experience been with the new Versus model compared to the original design?

Got a Fizik dealer nearby? Most have Fizik test ride saddles or at least a decent shop will let you buy, try, return/swap if it isn't right. I do.

What works for one may or may not 'work' for another..kinda like frames..subjective.