PDA

View Full Version : Serrotta mountain bike

Neves
05-04-2005, 11:22 AM
I didn't take the pictures, but thought I would post them for you guys. I also know there was a thread discussing this frame, but it kinda morphed into a John Tomac thread. But here she is in all her glory....

Tony Edwards
05-04-2005, 11:44 AM
Wow. Just wow. I haven't seen another Serotta with those cutout decals on a carbon tube before. My first good MTB, a Bridgestone MB-3, was purple, so I have a soft spot in my heart for purple bikes (or, as in this case, partially purple ones).

This is pretty clearly the most desirable hardtail on the market IMO, although I'd have to sell a kidney to buy one. I can't imagine there are a huge number of potential buyers for such a costly hardtail, but I guess one never knows . . .

terry
05-04-2005, 11:55 AM
man, just gotta love a HT-and especially one without any Shimano. stunning.

scrooge
05-04-2005, 11:57 AM
but where can I get a pair of those flamin' shorts?! :D

gdw
05-04-2005, 12:02 PM
That's a nice looking bike but I doubt many will be sold. The carbon and titanium combination doesn't offer any advantages over all titanium or all carbon bikes in actual offroad use. The cost compared to current hardtails and full suspension designs will make it a hard sell to real riders.

Tony Edwards
05-04-2005, 12:22 PM
That's a nice looking bike but I doubt many will be sold. The carbon and titanium combination doesn't offer any advantages over all titanium or all carbon bikes in actual offroad use. The cost compared to current hardtails and full suspension designs will make it a hard sell to real riders.

That was my thought in the prior thread on this bike. I currently own (and cherish) a Serotta ATi hardtail, and it seems to me it offers virtually the same attributes, at considerably less cost. Still, if one is on a mission to build God's own hardtail, this seems like the frame to start with.

Neves
05-04-2005, 12:36 PM
God's own hardtail...

How about this. Kirk Pacenti Slant Six stainless steel lugs with the lugged stem that he offers all build by Sacha at Vanilla. With those killer disc drops that he puts on his bikes. And if possible throw in one of those carbon/Thomson seatpost that I saw on one of his bikes at the bike show in Houston last year. Now that would be a sweet bike...but I would hate to wreck it.

fishylittlethin
05-04-2005, 03:50 PM
I still prefer my CHT. Tapered and butted stays. Super gorgeous dropouts. What else can one ask for?

Not a big fan of carbon, or carbon-titanium.....

The only frame I am looking out for now is a CST. :beer:

cheers, fishy

dirtdigger88
05-04-2005, 04:16 PM
The only frame I am looking out for now is a CST. :beer:

cheers, fishy

what size- I know where one is- a 19 inch I believe

Jason

Jack Brunk
05-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Dirt,

If fishy isn't interested I am. I've been searching everywhere for an 18-19" CST. Please let me know where I can buy it if it's still available,

Thanks,

Jack

Dave Kirk,

What is the TT length on the CSt in both the 18 and 19" size ?

dirtdigger88
05-04-2005, 05:01 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=5587

that was the bike in the picture

Big Shark sold it- I just called to verify- Sorry- I spoke before I had all the facts

Jason

Jack Brunk
05-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks Dirt,

If anybody else knows where a CST is for sale, I would love to snag it.

Thanks,

Jack

David Kirk
05-04-2005, 05:36 PM
Isn't it a bit funny that I am answering this question.......where are our friendly Serotta representatives?

18" top tube - 59cm
19" top tube - 60.8cm

Both are listed as effective.

do they still offer it?

Dave

fishylittlethin
05-05-2005, 02:06 AM
Sorry I am late, but if you do find one here, go ahead Jason. I still have to work out an arrangement with my wife and convince her that I absolutely need another bike. :)

Thanks all, and special thanks to Dave for designing the CST and helping out here on the geometry. :beer: Actually I think the Serotta folks should also buy Dave a :beer: :beer: :)

ciao, fishy

BumbleBeeDave
05-05-2005, 06:46 AM
. . . but I would never buy one unless I put slicks on it and never rode it offroad. It’s just too beautiful. This looks like the Cadillac Escalade of mountain bikes. They will no doubt sell some, but you will never see one actually getting down and dirty on the trail. :(

BBDave

aLexis
05-05-2005, 07:25 AM
. . . but I would never buy one unless I put slicks on it and never rode it offroad. It’s just too beautiful. This looks like the Cadillac Escalade of mountain bikes. They will no doubt sell some, but you will never see one actually getting down and dirty on the trail. :(

BBDave

beautiful....yes

Cadillac Escalade....well, we are counting on selling quite a few to our target demographic - hip hop moguls. We think the 26" rims will really help.

as far as seeing one getting dirty on the trail....this will happen. Jared rides his Ottrot FS almost daily. It is the first bike he has not been able to break, and not for lack of trying. The all ti hardtail will be a bigger seller, but the Ottrot, as pretty as it is, is designed to take a beating. :)

Bruce K
05-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Alexis;

Are you the one responsible for the rear drop-outs? They are great looking. :banana:

Rumor has it that you are quite the whiz with the CNC machine.

Now how about some billet machined, lightning bolt wheels for the next Serotta show bike? ;)

BK

aLexis
05-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Bruce,
I just make what they tell me. The man behind the curtain is Les Wood - he is the whiz of the CNC machine, and a great teacher as well. As for the wheels, I might direct you here:
http://www.centerlinewheels.com/company.htm

June is not too far away, I'll show you how the dropouts are made when you come through.

Tom
05-05-2005, 08:04 AM
I want one. My brother is the guy that got one at Simon Pearce Glass, he has wayyyyy too much fun with it. How he convinced them to get one and let him teach himself how to use it is beyond me, but he's like an evil genius down there in the basement.

dirtdigger88
05-05-2005, 09:03 AM
http://www.bicycledesigner.com/spinner_wheels.html

http://www.deuce-usa.com/products.php

forget the Centerlines (though I did have some of the original Centerline wheels in high school) these are the wheels you need

Jason

ps- why worry about the carbon on a MTB- Trek has had carbon mtbs for years- cannondale has even put carbon CHAINSTAYS on their newest softtail

Jason

Bruce K
05-05-2005, 09:21 AM
Alexis;

I am very familier with Centerline having raced sports cars for many years.

I will take you up on the offer of the "how'd they do that?" demo at Open House. :banana:

BK

Ahneida Ride
09-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Isn't it a bit funny that I am answering this question.......where are our friendly Serotta representatives?
Dave

Methinks you are the "Serotta" representative .... ;)

David Kirk
09-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Methinks you are the "Serotta" representative .... ;)

Wow this is an oldish thread eh?

Now where is our friendly Serotta rep?

dave