PDA

View Full Version : Serotta steel frames

champ
11-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Hi all

Is there a thread somewhere here that explains the differences between the Serotta steel frames? I am looking at CR, various Colorado models, LT, CDA, even a Columbus-tubed model, ... but I dont know the differences among them. Thanks

97CSI
11-28-2010, 01:17 PM
Ben needs to write an official history in his spare time.

champ
11-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Yes he should!

In general are the welded or lugged models more desirable?

Smiley
11-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Yes he should!

In general are the welded or lugged models more desirable?

Lugged in my opinion

dave thompson
11-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Hi all

Is there a thread somewhere here that explains the differences between the Serotta steel frames? I am looking at CR, various Colorado models, LT, CDA, even a Columbus-tubed model, ... but I dont know the differences among them. Thanks
Geez, the history of Serotta steel models goes back to 1972. There were many models and many iterations of them throughout that span of time. The 'history' of most of the models from the 80s and 90s seems to be oral as the records at Serotta no longer seem to exist, so what's available comes from owners and those who have catalogs. Even then, because Serotta was a custom bike company, there's nothing definitive as far as I know.

champ
11-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Ok how about just the models since the mid to late 80's - I am looking for info like the tubing and general design differences for the models, thanks

thwart
11-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Ok how about just the models since the mid to late 80's - I am looking for info like the tubing and general design differences for the models, thanksThat's asking quite a lot, actually... ;)

If you're motivated (sounds like you are), I would suggest using the search function here for the different models you're interested in.

97CSI
11-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Well..... most CSi models are fully lugged. However, some also came with fillet-brazed BB shells. The fact that Ben did not own Serotta for, what was it, five years? Also complicates things. Lugged, fillet, TIG'd..... it's all steel and it's all good.

dave thompson
11-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Ok how about just the models since the mid to late 80's - I am looking for info like the tubing and general design differences for the models, thanks
Here's what you're asking: in 1987 (according to my catalog) there were 7 'stock' models listed which the catalog says can have "custom sizing options, non-standard colors,non-standard braze-ons" in addition to their customs, which were both the listed models and, as they said on their custom sheet: "Serotta custom...you name it, we frame it..." and went further on to briefly discuss; "aero bicycles, expedition bicycles, trail bicycles, sprint bicycles, freeform bicycles." They added, deleted and changed models in the late 80s and early 90s and then added and changed throughout the 90s. Serotta was rarely static during any year.

I'm going to take a WAG and say that Serotta probably has produced close to 100,000 bikes in the nearly 40 years they've been around. What you're asking is really very difficult to find, except in some very general terms.

93legendti
11-28-2010, 07:11 PM
some good info here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=4475&highlight=csi
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=13173&highlight=csi
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=27516&highlight=csi
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=149791&postcount=6
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=21762&highlight=csi
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=6498&highlight=csi

champ
11-28-2010, 07:15 PM
Ok, gotcha. I was hoping owners of the various models would reply with some basic information such as tubing used.

martinrjensen
11-28-2010, 07:19 PM
Well I don't think Serotta made 100,000 different models. I'd kind of be interested too and I don't see the big deal doing this other than the fact that its old business. It would be nice if we knew the reason for making the CSI vs an Atlanta or CDA, or Colorado and so forth. What were their target purchasers? I know that there were a couple models that were supposed to be very similar with the only difference between them one being lugged and the other sans lugs but I forget right now, one's the CSI.
At least with current models, this would be nice to know if there are any real technical reasons for picking one model over another (other than $) or if it's just what you like the looks of, which to be honest is what it kind of looks like, oh and I am not singling out Serotta in this respect either. I think most brands do this.

Here's what you're asking: in 1987 (according to my catalog) there were 7 'stock' models listed which the catalog says can have "custom sizing options, non-standard colors,non-standard braze-ons" in addition to their customs, which were both the listed models and, as they said on their custom sheet: "Serotta custom...you name it, we frame it..." and went further on to briefly discuss; "aero bicycles, expedition bicycles, trail bicycles, sprint bicycles, freeform bicycles." They added, deleted and changed models in the late 80s and early 90s and then added and changed throughout the 90s. Serotta was rarely static during any year.

I'm going to take a WAG and say that Serotta probably has produced close to 100,000 bikes in the nearly 40 years they've been around. What you're asking is really very difficult to find, except in some very general terms.

93legendti
11-28-2010, 07:23 PM
I always liked this quote from Richard Sachs:

it's not fair comparing serotta's csi frame or price with
steve rex. the company's timeline in developing the
tubing shapes, guages, and variations is unparalled in
the framebuilding industry - going back to the late 70s
when ben was the first guy to show frames with non
round pipes. none of us had the resources or the prodigious
output it would require to make that learning curve turn
into a straighter line. whether lugged or tigged, those
were always great frames and ahead of what many folk
were able to envision and/or produce.

i don't know the food chain involved in getting the correct
client specs to ny state for the build but if it can be done
(i'm sure it can be done) the result is still a steel frame
that is at the vanguard and, IMO, still a better frame
than 99% of the nonferrous ^&%$ that is imported or
made stateside.
e-RICHIE©™®

97CSI
11-28-2010, 07:31 PM
Ok, gotcha. I was hoping owners of the various models would reply with some basic information such as tubing used.Since adopting the 'Colorado Concept' moniker, Serotta has provided little detailed info on their tubing. Thus, owners have very little info to share. But, I've never thrown a leg over a finer steel bike than a CSi.

jeo99
11-28-2010, 09:42 PM
Adam,
Well researched! It cannot be said any better.

:beer:

martinrjensen
11-28-2010, 09:44 PM
I've no argument with ya there. My CSI is my main rider, well not in the winter, but if it's dry or at least not raining, it goes out. Since adopting the 'Colorado Concept' moniker, Serotta has provided little detailed info on their tubing. Thus, owners have very little info to share. But, I've never thrown a leg over a finer steel bike than a CSi.

Dekonick
11-28-2010, 10:15 PM
The early 90's were the years of the CR, CRL, and some others. They used Columbus steel and were tapered tubes. The CSI grew from the CRL and became the flagship steel frame offered by Serotta. The Atlanta was considered by many to be the sweet spot and gave 90% of the bike for a lot less $$. The CSI met its demise in the last decade... mostly because fools were sold on carbon lust and the steel bikes lost their appeal... despite improvements in steel tubing.

I have owned steel bikes from the 80's, 90's and modern era - they all have that sweet steel ride. I also have had carbon from the 90's (it sucked) mid 90's (still sucked) and aluminum (harsh, but tires and wheels can work wonders... still have an aluminum mountain bike...) I also have owned 3 Ti frames, one of which I still own and plan on always owning... thank you Dave Kirk for the genius behind the DKS suspension!

Of all the bikes I have owned, the ride of steel still captures my imagination. With a good builder steel seems to offer much more than meets the eye.

jlwdm
11-29-2010, 06:18 AM
CSI demise was specifically 2005. Unfortunately, mine is in AZ and I have only ridden it about 10 times. I was in AZ over Thanksgiving and got in three good rides. It was great to ride although now I am looking at a few minor changes. One will be the new Ritchey Classic silver stem.

Jeff

Catnap
11-29-2010, 05:42 PM
i'm a steel-only rider and fascinated by the steel Serottas. thanks for all the links and info!

Mike748
11-29-2010, 06:20 PM
The tubes on my '95-ish CSi are marked Serotta CCL... which I assume means Colorado Concept Light. No idea whether they are Columbus or Reynolds or (as I suspect) a mix appropriate to the bike.