PDA

View Full Version : High level Aluminum Frames

qjetha
11-28-2010, 01:42 AM
Hey Everyone. I was wondering if someone could suggest a race-able high performance caliber straight aluminum bike for me. After only racing carbon for the past 5 seasons and after destroying two carbon frames I am thinking about the switch. Only problem is I don't know what to really expect from an aluminum machine. Other problem is I can't really find any top level aluminum frames (not really feeling a caad 9 or 10)

The one frame I did like was the canyon ultimate al: Gilbert and co. raced these at Roubaix http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2110
Unfortunately they don't ship to the states right now :(

If anyone has anything to suggest I would love to hear it!

Happy thanksgiving!

CyclingGuru
11-28-2010, 01:50 AM
Best and only aluminum frame still used in competitive racing by the Cervelo Test Team..well what was used, is the Cervelo S1..check it out. I have an S1, R5, a Madone, and a LeMond that I ride often..the S1 is probably one of my favorites.

alexstar
11-28-2010, 03:39 AM
Look at Spooky Bikes, specifically the Skeletor. Other than that you might give the Cannondales a try.

Bruce K
11-28-2010, 04:40 AM
Also Gaulzetti

Ti Designs
11-28-2010, 05:39 AM
In looking for a bike for Mt Washington next year, my goal was to drop 15 pounds - 12 off myself, 3 off the bike. My Serotta is a bit over 18 pounds so that shouldn't be a problem. I started looking at the Specialized Tarmac SL2, but I'm now thinking of the new Allez pro frame with the fork from a Tarmac. Knowing what else is out there, I still can't think of a single reason not to go aluminum...

BdaGhisallo
11-28-2010, 06:00 AM
Go and get yourself a custom alu frame. Primus Mootry (builder of alu Gaulzettis) sells their alu frame for under $1100. Well worth looking into.

TMB
11-28-2010, 06:29 AM
As do Tsunami and Rock Lobster.

Climb01742
11-28-2010, 06:33 AM
based on a forum member's experience, a tsunami seems very worth a look:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=72735&highlight=tsunami

and another vote for a gaulzetti.

Lifelover
11-28-2010, 06:43 AM
Tsunami (http://www.tsunamibikes.com/Tsunami_Bikes/Home.html) would be my choice.

$750 (+fork) for a custom made to measure frame made in shop (not outsourced like some of the others). The owner has a racing background and has gotten wonderful reviews.

Short of a used Cdale, it's a no brainer.

Spooky maybe a close 2nd place but I don't think they do custom.

Peter P.
11-28-2010, 06:45 AM
Other high end aluminum frame builders with good reputations are:

Ground Up Designs (http://thurly.net/0d0g)

Rock Lobster Cycles (http://www.rocklobstercycles.com/) , who I highly recommend because I own one! I can't say enough good things about my Rock Lobster buying experience.

Tsunami Bikes (http://www.tsunamibikes.com/Tsunami_Bikes/Home.html)

If you've broken two carbon frames already, I'd question whether it's bad luck or just the wrong material for you. If carbon's the wrong material for you, then I think aluminum would be a poor choice as well. People choose aluminum frames usually because they crave lightness or stiffness. But aluminum doesn't like to be flexed, which I'd suspect you're doing to the carbon frames. You might be a better candidate for steel or titanium.

riceburner
11-28-2010, 07:10 AM
Go and get yourself a custom alu frame. Primus Mootry (builder of alu Gaulzettis) sells their alu frame for under $1100. Well worth looking into.

Yes, I just had Joe D from Primus Mootry build me an aluminum frame and it is excellent. You could also get a Pegoretti Love #3 too ???

Ralph
11-28-2010, 07:10 AM
I don't see anything wrong with Cannodales. I had a CAAD 3 road frame that beat me to death. But currently use a CAAD 5 with standard English BB for my daily sweat on rider, and it's worlds better. With 700X25's, It rides about like my custom steel frame. I have ridden CAAD 7 and 9's, and they seem even better. So don't know what the complaint is about them for a race bike. Sure....they are relatively cheap, paint job only OK with stick on decals, etc. But build quality is fine....rear wheel follows front, BB shell perfect, etc. See no reason to race on anything else for a crash prone crit bike. Can replace cheap. I do prefer one with a standard English BB. For stock bikes, the ones I have used seem to have a longish top tube for racing position. That's OK by me even at my advanced age.

rockdude
11-28-2010, 07:17 AM
Pegoretti Love #3 or Cannondale, I hear mootry and spooky are good.

54ny77
11-28-2010, 09:36 AM
I vote Tsunami--although I'm biased. ;)

Joe makes a great frame for a great price, and is a pleasure to work with.

Either way, I vote going U.S. custom no matter what--in a "stock" geo. or made to fit. Keep as many dollars at home and support "local" small businesses. Plus, they're unique...to YOU.

Other amazing domestic alu. mfgs include Hampsten, Primus Mootry and Tiemeyer.

Sheldon4209
11-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Although well know for tandems the Co-Motion Ristretto gets good reviews.
http://co-motion.com/index.php/singles/ristretto

fourflys
11-28-2010, 10:31 AM
I'll tell you what, if you go by the shear number of frames people are racing, it's seems hard to beat a Caad 9..... the cool thing is you can buy a used bottom of the line Caad 9 complete and still have the same frame that they hang the Dura Ace parts on...

Now, if you are looking for a bit "higher-end" frame with a bit more panache, I'd look at some of the smaller builders like Primus, Co-Motion (http://co-motion.com/index.php/singles/ristretto) , or the numerous other guys that build in aluminum... I'm just not sure I could part with $2k or more for an aluminum frame that I'm not sure would work better than a Caad...
Rock Lobster does seem like a pretty good deal for a custom frame though and I've talked to Paul a couple of times... good guy!

thegunner
11-28-2010, 10:41 AM
i race collegiate so there's no point in doing anything i can't replace, before my team came up with a stupid "let's all race the same brand" crap, i was planning on using my caad9 w/force+red. it's as good (maybe not as smooth) as any other bike i've ever ridden.

jeo99
11-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Qjetha,
If you want aluminum try a good American craftsman named Scott Quiring. He is a former racer and champion that has an excellent reputation. He is also reasonable!

http://www.quiringcycles.net/

:banana: :banana:

thendenjeck
11-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Spooky or Gaulzetti. Gaulzetti wins in the looks department imo.

champ
11-28-2010, 01:10 PM
On the less expensive side Quattro Assi has some new alu frames. Fort has a few decent racing frames.

High-end choices could include Gaulzetti, Colnago, BMC, Merckx..

You mentioned not liking the Cannondales but I think the Caad 9 or 10 is a great racing bike. Among the stiffest frames ever made and vertical compliance is surprisingly good. The new Caad 10 is $1k at retail and the 9's can be had for $750 at retail. They have a cult-like following among racers for good reason.

thendenjeck
11-28-2010, 01:18 PM
High-end choices could include Gaulzetti, Colnago, BMC, Merckx..

This reminds me of my eternal bike industry question: why the hell do people still pay custom prices for something from Colnago or Cinelli when they are made in a factory in Taiwan? just sayin

54ny77
11-28-2010, 01:22 PM
So many good domestic alu craftsman. Go made in usa!

oldpotatoe
11-28-2010, 01:56 PM
This reminds me of my eternal bike industry question: why the hell do people still pay custom prices for something from Colnago or Cinelli when they are made in a factory in Taiwan? just sayin

The steel Cinelli's are made in in Italia. just sayin

thendenjeck
11-28-2010, 02:08 PM
The steel Cinelli's are made in in Italia. just sayin

the suggestion was aluminum cinelli

tv_vt
11-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Depending on your size and how they might fit you, a used Merckx Team SC scandium might be an option. Seem to be quite bombproof and have a great rep. See a number of mid-size frames on eBay. Almost none in my size (60cm).
Actually, there are some Serotta aluminum frames on eBay fairly often, too. Totally rock solid frames (made by Kinesis in Washington state iirc).

Thom

fourflys
11-28-2010, 03:06 PM
Depending on your size and how they might fit you, a used Merckx Team SC scandium might be an option. Seem to be quite bombproof and have a great rep. See a number of mid-size frames on eBay. Almost none in my size (60cm).
Actually, there are some Serotta aluminum frames on eBay fairly often, too. Totally rock solid frames (made by Kinesis in Washington state iirc).

Thom

I'd LOVE to find one of these in the Domo colors in a 54cm.... :D

Steve in SLO
11-28-2010, 04:20 PM
I'd LOVE to find one of these in the Domo colors in a 54cm.... :D
Like this? It was less than $400 for frame/fork and HS:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=72097&highlight=merckx+team

fourflys
11-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Like this? It was less than $400 for frame/fork and HS:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=72097&highlight=merckx+team

that's the one! If you're a 54, keep me in mind when you get tired of it... :D

jmeloy
11-28-2010, 07:30 PM
Gang, I dropped Mickey at Spooky an email re: a custom build and got the following:
"
We can't do custom bikes right now unfortunately.
I recommend any and all people who want a custom Aluminum bike from us to contact Frank The Welder.
http://ftwindustries.blogspot.com/
http://www.frankthewelder.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankthewelder/
http://www.completesite.com/mbhof/pa...7&memberid=162

He taught me everything there is to know about anything. He's built dozens of world and national championship winning bikes under other people's paint for the last 25 years. He is also the nicest guy you'd ever meet.
He is the very best guy out there when it comes to structural design and elegant solutions to complex problems and who I turn to when I need customs, protos or bikes to ride for myself.

I will do the geometry for free for anyone who buys a bike from Frank, fwiw.

I can't say enough good things about superlative he is a person and how perfect his work is. Not just because I've known him since I was a little kid either!
_mickey"

cmg
11-28-2010, 08:18 PM
almost bought a Van Dessel Hellfaster last week off eBay.

acorn_user
11-29-2010, 07:54 AM
I've heard good things (in Bicycling magazine) about 3d racing.
http://www.v2racing.com/3dracing/
A team mate had a custom Ahrens as a team bike that was pretty nice!
http://ahrensbicycles.com/
Or... Planet X Bikes just bought a bunch of Guerciotti frames. They are only about $700 + shipping to the US (which they now do).

avalonracing
11-29-2010, 07:59 AM
based on a forum member's experience, a tsunami seems very worth a look:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=72735&highlight=tsunami

It doesn't matter to me because I have my Klein as my aluminum ride but that Tsumani logo would be a deal breaker for me. Come on framebuilders, get other opinions on a logo before slapping it on your work. (And no, not your wife's or kid's opinion... A designer who is a bike racer would be a start).

Edit: I just looked at the logos on the other recommended bikes... Holy Crap! They all suck.

nahtnoj
11-29-2010, 08:10 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=854845

nahtnoj
11-29-2010, 08:21 AM
double post

MerckxMad
11-29-2010, 10:00 AM
that's the one! If you're a 54, keep me in mind when you get tired of it... :D

Well, it may be your lucky day. Mine sports Campy Record, Mavic rims, and 3T cockpit in pristine condition. It even has the rare, little devil head logos on the fork legs. Make me an offer offline.

zap
11-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Kleins are sweet. Best all round al frameset.

If one finds nos and it fits, get it.

torquer
11-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Although well know for tandems the Co-Motion Ristretto gets good reviews.
http://co-motion.com/index.php/singles/ristretto
Steve Hampsten sources his custom AL from Co-motion, for about the same cost. It would be worth your while talking with him, especially if you aren't up on AL as a frame material.
If standard geo works for you, though, the Spooky is a great buy (from a great company, for what I understand; see the other post with their offer to help out with a custon build from another shop.) And I thought the new CAAD10 with Ultegra for just over $2K is a great racing package (just add race wheels). There's a reason C-dales are common as dirt on the racing scene, and it ain't all marketing!

T.J.
11-29-2010, 01:00 PM
I spent all last season racing P/1/2 on a CAAD 9 and I was not alone. It is plenty stiff but plenty comfy with the right wheel / tire combo. Best part is you won't cry yourself to sleep if you wad it up. I hit the deck at 35mph + this season and other than a toasted shifter, saddle , skewer and pedal the frame was fine.

bigbill
11-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Fort bikes. The best of Eastern Europe. An alternative to SE Asia welded Aluminum. Pretty good deals on built bikes. Typically Competitive has some good deals on built bikes.

qjetha
11-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Thanks for all the input and information everyone. Pretty much information overload, ha. It looks like I got some good options though and I will just need to spend some time figuring out the best one.

I did quickly go to Gaulzettis website and really liked what i saw. I am not too big of a fan of ISPs, but who knows. Getting a lot of positives for the caads may change my mind as well on those.

Got a couple months yet to to digest and figure it all out :)

Thanks again guys!

jtferraro
11-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Having owned & raced a CAAD9 for a few seasons, I'll also definitely plug it. Also wanted to make you aware you can order a Gaulzetti sans ISP, if that's your wish.

ergott
11-29-2010, 03:50 PM
The Spooky Skeletor is an excellent option, but there are plenty of nice frames above as well.

Mickey @ Spooky is working with pre-orders for level top tube Skeletors and has other really nice ideas in the works. If Spooky is on your short list, now is the time to contact them and get the scoop. Tell him I sent ya;-)

Lifelover
11-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks for all the input and information everyone. Pretty much information overload, ha. It looks like I got some good options though and I will just need to spend some time figuring out the best one.

I did quickly go to Gaulzettis website and really liked what i saw. I am not too big of a fan of ISPs, but who knows. Getting a lot of positives for the caads may change my mind as well on those.

Got a couple months yet to to digest and figure it all out :)

Thanks again guys!

Get the Caad. The other is pretty much an outsourced frame that incorporates virtually every one of the distinctive traits that make a Caad a Caad.

jlwdm
11-29-2010, 04:53 PM
I don't want an aluminum bike but if I did I would sure take a Gaulzetti over a CAAD. They just look fast.

I took a quick look at the geometries and they are all different; plus Gaulzetti offers more than twice as many sizes, including longer reach options in some sizes.

Jeff

Ti Designs
11-29-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't want an aluminum bike but if I did I would sure take a Gaulzetti over a CAAD. They just look fast.

I wouldn't want my bike writing any checks that I can't cash...

Peter B
11-29-2010, 09:10 PM
<snip>

I would sure take a Gaulzetti over a CAAD.

I'd like one too but not at eight times the cost of my CAAD9 frameset. YMMV.

93legendti
11-29-2010, 09:29 PM
FWIW, you could probably get a steel race frame just as "cheap" from Quirring, Curtlo or a few others and at least have a repairable frame in the event of a crash...just a thought.

rice rocket
11-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Aluminum isn't repairable anymore or something?

TMB
11-29-2010, 09:57 PM
The longer this thread goes on, the closer I come to visiting the Tsunami folks.

Thanks a lot.

Some friends.

54ny77
11-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Hah! Give in....

My white one is spot on to the nth degree the same geo as my former Parlee (itself a great rig), and no joke, it rides impeccably. No hands at 30 mph it's rock solid, doesn't flinch. I've pushed it crazy hard in corners behind some really, really fast guys, and had it on several occasions up near 60 mph. Still the same: no surprises.

My geo is traditional road racing oriented, not short, sharp and quick like a "crit" bike. If anything, it's wonderfully neutral. Fork is Reynolds Ouzo Pro.

Joe will work with you on whatever ride characteristic you're looking for.

I say why get a CAAD9 (itself a great bike, no doubt) when you can get something fun & unique for the same price?

I'll repeat my mantra: support your "local" (U.S.) artisan framebuilder!

The longer this thread goes on, the closer I come to visiting the Tsunami folks.

Thanks a lot.

Some friends.

TMB
11-29-2010, 10:15 PM
I keep thinking,

we have the house in Phoenix, I could ....................

You know the rest.

But I could bring the De Rosa Primato home to BC and have a Tsunami "rough stuff" frame in AZ, set up for fenders, big tires and fast riding.

rice rocket
11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
I say why get a CAAD9 (itself a great bike, no doubt) when you can get something fun & unique for the same price?

I'll repeat my mantra: support your "local" (U.S.) artisan framebuilder!
People are building for $200-600 nowadays?

FYI, CAAD9's started at $859, fully built. Your definition of "same price" is very very very liberal. Not everyone has the budget for 3 or 4 custom bikes, quit forcing your mantra down everyone's throats.

54ny77
11-29-2010, 10:31 PM
My black fendered rig is a one-off, Joe's first setup like that.

I'm not embarrassed to say that I like staring at it. :cool: We all put a lot of thought and work into it. Joe and Joe Jr. were champs at coming up with novel solutions given the various constraints--not the least of which was Alpha Q going bust right in the middle of the build. :crap: Sure ain't a lot of good carbon fork offerings out there with tall crown that fits 35mm fenders and 28c tires.

Was hoping Edge would come out with somethin'--they said no bid at this time. Serotta just came out with a line of aftermarket forks, one model of which is supposed to be able to fit the bill (albeit at a fairly high price point) You might say I'm always on the lookout for a new unused Alpha Q CS25, which was part of original design spec. Because I'm not a huge fan of the current fork (no-name carbon w/alu steerer offering that does the job but doesn't light my fire--it's too flexy), what I may end up doing soon is have a custom steel fork made with fat blades that fits the size and desired performance profile. One example of a builder to look at for that would be Dave Anderson bicycles, who makes some insanely gorgeous forks that I've been admiring for awhile now.

Another alu. builder in AZ is Gilmour, although I know nothing about them other than seeing their website and occasional internet pics.

I keep thinking,

we have the house in Phoenix, I could ....................

You know the rest.

But I could bring the De Rosa Primato home to BC and have a Tsunami "rough stuff" frame in AZ, set up for fenders, big tires and fast riding.

nahtnoj
11-29-2010, 10:37 PM

FYI, CAAD9's started at $859, fully built. Your definition of "same price" is very very very liberal. Not everyone has the budget for 3 or 4 custom bikes, quit forcing your mantra down everyone's throats.

CAAD9 no longer exists. CAAD10 frameset retails for either $799, $899, or $999 depending on who you ask.

I think the Tsunami sans fork is $600 or $650.

So yes, very much in the ballpark.

54ny77
11-29-2010, 10:38 PM
Hey Rice, go take a long ride, relax a bit. First, go look at the price of a Tsunami custom frame on their website. Second, go and re-read the OP's first post. Maybe you missed the sentence where he said ("not really feeling a caad 9 or 10)."

:rolleyes:

While you may view what I'm saying as mantra, I'm equally tired of seeing the internet sheeple mantra of "CAAD! CAAD! CAAD!" when there are as equally good and perhaps better (in terms of being rider-specific) offerings out there for the same price. I've ridden CAAD9's, they're great.

I just found something I like more, and it's unique, custom made right in someone's garage workshop here in the USA, and very much affordable. I prefer that vs. something mass produced overseas, which the CAAD's now are.

jlwdm
11-29-2010, 11:03 PM
.....Serotta just came out with a line of aftermarket forks, one model of which is supposed to be able to fit the bill (albeit at a fairly high price point) You might say I'm always on the lookout for a new unused Alpha Q CS25, which was part of original design spec.....

I had the Alpha Q CS25 as part of my Spectrum build and Tom K bought the last two he could find last December. He ended up selling the other one on VSalon last year. Keep looking though as you never know where one will show up. Just looked on Ebay - a bunch of Alpha Qs but not the one you are looking for.

Jeff

rwsaunders
11-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Gang, I dropped Mickey at Spooky an email re: a custom build and got the following:
"
We can't do custom bikes right now unfortunately.
I recommend any and all people who want a custom Aluminum bike from us to contact Frank The Welder.
http://ftwindustries.blogspot.com/
http://www.frankthewelder.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankthewelder/
http://www.completesite.com/mbhof/pa...7&memberid=162

He taught me everything there is to know about anything. He's built dozens of world and national championship winning bikes under other people's paint for the last 25 years. He is also the nicest guy you'd ever meet.
He is the very best guy out there when it comes to structural design and elegant solutions to complex problems and who I turn to when I need customs, protos or bikes to ride for myself.

I will do the geometry for free for anyone who buys a bike from Frank, fwiw.

I can't say enough good things about superlative he is a person and how perfect his work is. Not just because I've known him since I was a little kid either!
_mickey"

I follow Mickey's tales on the VSalon and the guy just reads like a class act. A story like this only amplifies my perception.

rice rocket
11-30-2010, 02:03 AM
First, go look at the price of a Tsunami custom frame on their website. Second, go and re-read the OP's first post. Maybe you missed the sentence where he said ("not really feeling a caad 9 or 10)."
My apologies, I was unaware of such cheap custom bike offerings.

However, it looks like the racers (a.k.a. the CAAD sheep) have made their point, as the OP has reconsidered the option. :)