PDA

View Full Version : Winter booties/overshoes/shoe covers

rice rocket
11-27-2010, 11:49 PM
New season! Went on my last >40 degree ride yesterday, and it was fine 'cept it's time to replace these booties. I don't see myself out in <20 deg F weather, so something in the 20-40 degree range would be nice.

I'm trying to avoid neoprene, because I'd like something breathable. The Pearl Izumi Softshells look like they fit the bill, or the PRO Tarmac H2Os. Gore Oxygens looks good too, but I've read some durability issues on user reviews.

Any first hand experiences?

Thanks!

bigbill
11-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Probably OT, but I prefer winter MTB shoes instead of covers. If you have a defined winter where you know it's going to be cold for months, winter shoes make sense. I have a pair of Specialized Defrosters which come in road and MTB versions. I can ride in the upper 20's with regular cycling socks. They're water tight as well.

Bruce K
11-28-2010, 04:42 AM
Pearl Izumi Barrier booties.

I just got a set and toes were comfy for a 2.5 hour ride in the low 30's yesterday.

BK

Blue Jays
11-28-2010, 05:16 AM
Gore Alaska Windstopper socks are an excellent garment to consider.
They are worn with a very thin pair of wool socks and are quite remarkable.
URL: http://www.gorebikewear.com/remote/Satellite/PROD_FSALSK?landingid=1208436857757A

Ti Designs
11-28-2010, 05:43 AM
Send me your feet, I'll do some testing and let you know...

What works for feet and/or hands is based on the individual. My girlfriend and I were on the tandem for a few hours yesterday, I had my older Specialized S-works shoes with thick socks on and I was just fine. My girlfriend had on her Lake winter boots with toe warmers.

Tim
11-28-2010, 06:34 AM
I Use windproof booties- mine are made by Louis Garneau, plus over the shoe socks, on top of the windproof booties. Defeet makes some called "Slipstream"
I also ride mountain bike shoes on a cross bike in the winter- the mountain shoes allow for slightly heavier socks (wool socks are great)- this combination allows me to ride in temps down to about -8 celcius (about 20F).

riceburner
11-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Maybe try one of the thicker winter wool socks and simply a lycra boot cover which may be good especially in the upper part of that temperature range....

Dekonick
11-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Booties may work ( I have used them) but winter shoes make it that much easier. My Lakes are easy to put on and tighten and just as easy to take off. Booties are just much more involved.

I also vote for mountain bike winter shoes... never know if you need to walk a short stretch here and there...and road cleats may act like ice skates, but without the control :eek:

rdparadise
11-28-2010, 10:52 AM
+1 for winter mtb shoes if you live in a climate with a defined winter. The pair I bought are Northwave. I bought them 3-4 years ago at the end of the year from Performance. They are like ankle high sneakers with very good insulation. One pair of nice wool hiking socks and I'm good down to about zero.

I've seen Lake MTB winter shoes on sales at Performance already this year at around $120. They or other brands are a good option.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

Bob

jmeloy
11-28-2010, 10:55 AM
+1 for winter mtb shoes if you live in a climate with a defined winter. The pair I bought are Northwave. I bought them 3-4 years ago at the end of the year from Performance. They are like ankle high sneakers with very good insulation. One pair of nice wool hiking socks and I'm good down to about zero.

I've seen Lake MTB winter shoes on sales at Performance already this year at around $120. They or other brands are a good option.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

Bob
Bob, how do these run size-wise?

93legendti
11-28-2010, 12:22 PM
Pearl Izumi Barrier booties.

I just got a set and toes were comfy for a 2.5 hour ride in the low 30's yesterday.

BK
Bruce, do these have zipper closures? I have a pair of AmFibs and the zippers are breaking down.

pcxmbfj
11-28-2010, 01:03 PM
I can ride with shoe covers and have both fabric and neoprene but if the ride is going to be cold all ride, the ease of using a winter shoe is well worth the price.
They also increase the life of your regular shoe by not exposing them to the wear and tear of putting on covers.
If starting cold and getting warmer then covers have it.

dogdriver
11-28-2010, 01:44 PM
+1 the Lake winter mtb boots. I scored a pair last year thanks to a headsup from a forumite. Use them both on the Pugsley and the CX bike. Warm enough down to 5'F or so. Haven't tried them lower than that, but I always know that a warm house is a 20 minute bailout away if things get too cold!

As to fit-- I wear Sidi 45's in both road and mtb-- could probably get away with a 44 in both. Have the Lakes in 45 and am happy that I didn't get smaller-- a fine fit with a pair of Smartwool hiking socks.

Also agreed with the previous poster about mtb cleats vs road in the winter!

rice rocket
11-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Are you guys switching pedals to use as well? Or are there some 3-bolt mountain bike shoes?

yakstone
11-28-2010, 03:28 PM
Winter shoes are the way to go. I picked up a pair of SIDI Diablos 2 years ago.
Winter riding down into the 20s is no problem now.