PDA

View Full Version : curved seat stays

Serpico
05-03-2005, 09:57 PM
Hello, I just got fitted for a CIII.

The pic on serotta.com is a cda with curved stays (carbon fiber).

is it possible to get curved stays on the (all steel) CIII?

Dekonick
05-03-2005, 09:59 PM
yeah - get a Kirk Terraplane.

-or- look for an Hors Categorie and suffer with Ti.

dirtdigger88
05-03-2005, 10:15 PM
yup- those are some curvey stays :D

Jason

700 x 23c
05-03-2005, 11:38 PM
Jason....that is one sweet bike! Love your stem (on the bike!) :beer:

Serpico
05-04-2005, 12:21 AM
so... about that CIII, is it possible to get curved seat stays on the all-steel model..? ;)

gotta love that banana
:banana:

Needs Help
05-04-2005, 12:46 AM
The CIII with carbon stays is a CDA. If you want a CIII sticker on the top tube instead, I'm sure they could do it for you. I think you can also get the old CDA stickering that spells out Coeur d'Acier, which in my opinion is much nicer.

RichMc
05-04-2005, 02:09 AM
The only other steel bike with curved seat stays, that I know of, is a Seven Axiom. What's wrong with the stays on the CIII? Isn't the curvey chain stay enough? I know, those curves are sexy, ain't they? ;)

Climb01742
05-04-2005, 04:05 AM
i think needs help is right. with steel seatstays its a CIII. with curved carbon its a CDA. i don't believe serotta offers curved steel seatstays. a CIII rides beautifully without them. do you really need 'em?

dirtdigger88
05-04-2005, 07:36 AM
Jason....that is one sweet bike! Love your stem (on the bike!) :beer:

I only wish it was mine- that is Mr. Kirks previous ride

Jason

Big Dan
05-04-2005, 07:53 AM
i think needs help is right. with steel seatstays its a CIII. with curved carbon its a CDA. i don't believe serotta offers curved steel seatstays. a CIII rides beautifully without them. do you really need 'em?

I agree with Climb on this one, the CIII is a great bike as it is..... :D

Climb01742
05-04-2005, 09:33 AM
I agree with Climb on this one, the CIII is a great bike as it is..... :D

oh my god. big dan and i agreeing. watch for cats sleeping with dogs next. :beer:

hypnospin
05-04-2005, 09:45 AM
there is another, the Omega 853 from the UK.
but if these things worked as more than a style statement, the rear wheel would pogo and jack 'round.

as for curvy chainstays, must lust after a hetchins...

The only other steel bike with curved seat stays, that I know of, is a Seven Axiom. What's wrong with the stays on the CIII? Isn't the curvey chain stay enough? I know, those curves are sexy, ain't they? ;)

M_A_Martin
05-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Ride one and see.

My terraplane doens't "pogo." The wheel stays firmly planted on the road, where it's supposed to be. Which is the whole point.

marle
05-04-2005, 09:58 AM
The curves cited differ -- the CDA curve is convex versus concave on the KIRK

Serpico
05-05-2005, 12:36 PM
I guess I am not being clear. I understand the difference between the CIII and the CDA is the curved carbon stays.

I was wondering if you can get curved (steel) stays on the CIII, or just straight stays?

Like the Litespeed bikes (yes, I realize the CIII isn't Ti) have radially curved seat stays.

And I'm not talking about s-bend stays (which are visible by viewing the frame from the back). But curved stays visible viewing the bike from the side.

first two litespeeds are examples of radially curved seat stays

bcm119
05-05-2005, 12:47 PM
No, you can't get curved steel seatstays on a CIII.

MartyE
05-05-2005, 12:49 PM
Serotta doesn't offer any radiused
seat stays other than carbon fibre.
I think you would need to talk to custom
builders for that.

Marty

hypnospin
05-05-2005, 12:59 PM
if the curved st's work because they allow rear wheel shock absorption from allowing the rear wheel to travel upwards (slight suspension) the wheel wil surely jack 'round.

if they work because vibration is disapated because they are curved, carry a crystal in your jersey while listening to john tesh. or kitaro. anything from windham hill.

curved may actualy make a harder ride as the tubes become work hardened from the bending, less resilient, result of cold setting.

but they do make a style statement, and i am not immune to hype either. how could we be as cycling enthusiasts?

Ride one and see.

My terraplane doens't "pogo." The wheel stays firmly planted on the road, where it's supposed to be. Which is the whole point.

Serpico
05-05-2005, 01:01 PM
okay, I guess it's back to John Tesh and crystals then.

terminaut
05-05-2005, 01:15 PM
yeah - get a Kirk Terraplane.

-or- look for an Hors Categorie and suffer with Ti.

...but not an Hors. :D

http://www.fooriders.com/images/bikes/willits_b2/b2rear.jpg

This frame rides amazing... Not as cushy as my Hors CX, but distinctively more comfy.

M_A_Martin
05-05-2005, 01:24 PM
Ah Hypnospin,

*You* must be a far larger and stronger rider than myself to get a frame (outside of a FS mtb with a shock) to "jack the wheel" around, curved stays or not.

Pleasant rides,

Mary Ann

scrooge
05-05-2005, 01:52 PM
My new Curtlo will have "banana stays"--which are slight curves similiar to those shown on the lightspeed.
I don't know how that helps, but I'm just excited about my new bike :D (should it ever arrive :crap: )

hypnospin
05-05-2005, 04:45 PM
thanks for explaining, this subject has kinda morphed around from radial to curved st stays.
radial would result in crank induced pogo if functional for shock absorption via rear wheel movement (travel)

"s bend" curved seat stays (even though these have been used on the road ex. fondriest) are to couteract braking force applied by canti's or v brakes which can inherently spread the stays. a booster helps here...

but i am just road at this time so i assumed radial.

I guess I am not being clear. I understand the difference between the CIII and the CDA is the curved carbon stays.

I was wondering if you can get curved (steel) stays on the CIII, or just straight stays?

Like the Litespeed bikes (yes, I realize the CIII isn't Ti) have radially curved seat stays.

And I'm not talking about s-bend stays (which are visible by viewing the frame from the back). But curved stays visible viewing the bike from the side.

first two litespeeds are examples of radially curved seat stays

jl123
05-07-2005, 02:34 PM
Terminaut,
What do you mean when you wrote:
"This frame rides amazing... Not as cushy as my Hors CX, but distinctively more comfy."
Your Willits is more comfortable than your Hors DKS? Thanks, JL

terminaut
05-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Terminaut,
What do you mean when you wrote:
"This frame rides amazing... Not as cushy as my Hors CX, but distinctively more comfy."
Your Willits is more comfortable than your Hors DKS? Thanks, JL

Ahh - that was quite ambiguous now that I read it back...

"but disctinctively more comfy [than other titanium hardtails that I've ridden]".

With the same skinny tires on each bike (this Willits MTB takes 700c wheels), the rear end of my DKS is discernably more compliant.