PDA

View Full Version : new 105 vs new ultegra

vqdriver
11-26-2010, 12:01 PM
any real world differences to note?
i only know of the hollow chainrings on ultegra and traditional rings on 105. probably some alloy bits instead of carbon. but functionally?
newer brake ratio and fd shifting seem to have trickled down. anything else?

oldpotatoe
11-26-2010, 12:46 PM
i only know of the hollow chainrings on ultegra and traditional rings on 105. probably some alloy bits instead of carbon. but functionally?

Have sold and built with both and both are really nice and identical in terms of functionality. 6700 wee bit lighter is all. 5700 really nice stuff.

RPS
11-26-2010, 02:33 PM
If you are considering the triple versions, the main functional difference I'm aware of is that Ultegra FC-6703 is listed at 52-39-30T and 105 FC-5703 is listed at 50-39-30T.

Of the two sets of rings I like the 105 spacing better. I think a 50-11 top gear is plenty for me now and in "theory" may help it shift better due to the lower derailleur placement and smaller gear jump. I'm not sure if it does shift differently but would look into one if buying.