PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing a a lo-cal / no-cal hot drink?

Louis
11-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Other than warm water, of course.

This summer I decided to make it a point to hydrate more, whether I ride or not. I found that lots of the Sobe 0-cal drinks were pretty good and so I was drinking that about once a day.

Now that winter's here it makes more sense to have something warm or hot, but as best I can tell all the low-cal drinks I've found are meant to be used cold. The only thing I've been able to think of is tea, but I'd have to use some sort of artificial sweetener, because I can't handle it plain.

Have you found anything that works well for low-cal winter hydration?

TIA
Louis

Blue Jays
11-25-2010, 10:42 PM
Black coffee.

rugbysecondrow
11-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Honey is a great sweetener for tea, not sure about calories though. With all the flavors/ styles of tea, you should be able to find one that works for you.

Louis
11-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Black coffee.

I'd rather have a mug of warm water... :beer:

John H.
11-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Herbal tea with stevia-

jazznap
11-25-2010, 11:19 PM
Green tea. Good hot, warm, or even cold. A much milder flavor than traditional black teas.

Karin Kirk
11-25-2010, 11:46 PM
I'll add another vote for tea with stevia. Stevia is very sweet yet not chemical-tasting. Celestial Seasonings has some interesting flavored teas with stevia, or you can buy the granules at your local healthy store.

oldpotatoe
11-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Other than warm water, of course.

This summer I decided to make it a point to hydrate more, whether I ride or not. I found that lots of the Sobe 0-cal drinks were pretty good and so I was drinking that about once a day.

Now that winter's here it makes more sense to have something warm or hot, but as best I can tell all the low-cal drinks I've found are meant to be used cold. The only thing I've been able to think of is tea, but I'd have to use some sort of artificial sweetener, because I can't handle it plain.

Have you found anything that works well for low-cal winter hydration?

TIA
Louis

Herb tea like Celestial Seasonings. Some of the flavored stuff is pretty 'sweet'. Peppermint for instance.

EDS
11-26-2010, 08:34 AM
hot water with lemon.

Velosmith
11-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Ahhh come on.... tea? Seriously?

I thought all self-respecting cyclist drank straight shots of espresso.....

Of course, I do come from the land of Starbucks :D

gemship
11-26-2010, 10:24 AM
hot water with lemon.

that's a excellent drink, lemon is a good cleanser for the vital organs, kidneys, blood. Chamomile mint tea is good too, for a upset stomach and just a good natural relaxing drink to help aid in sleep. Basic stuff we should all have in our pantry.

dogdriver
11-26-2010, 10:48 AM
Yerbe Mate from any health food store. Has a little caffeine-style kicker as a bonus.