PDA

View Full Version : Rookie maintenance question: Shimano crank removal/installation

wwtsui
05-03-2005, 07:21 PM
Just wanted to check: is this really as straightforward as it seems? i.e., remove/install with Allen key and that's it? Any tips or things I should watch out for? Thanks.

Rapid Tourist
05-03-2005, 07:31 PM
It really is that simple, almost . To remove the cranks, an allen key will take the plug off the center of the cranks. Sometimes this plug is on pretty tight and tough to remove if the cranks have been on for a while. Then you need a crank puller tool to force the cranks off of the bottom bracket spindle. Crank pullers are about $18.

When you put the new cranks on, all you need is the allen key to install them.

eddief
05-03-2005, 07:35 PM
and read the maintenance section on doing this. I think there are some relevant subtleties that make sense to know about before just taking an allen key to the bolt.

CalfeeFly
05-03-2005, 08:17 PM
You must make sure the splines on the octalink bottom bracket are lined up. If you don't you can crank that bolt down and not truly have it tight. Mechanics tend to have their own methods. If some are around you ask. Myself I first look to see what distance is there between the crank and frame. When the crank is off I hope to see a clean spot where it was covered. In replacing the crank arms I move them slowly around until I "feel" the splines intertwine. I then begin to tighten it. If it goes back to where it started it is correct. If it is way further out the splines are not lined up.

A mechanic friend has another method that works great. The trouble is I can't remember it. Sorry.

Take care. Just make sure they go on as far as prior to removal.

M_A_Martin
05-03-2005, 08:38 PM
There are your answers for the two types...which do you have? Square taper, or Octalink? :banana:

dave thompson
05-03-2005, 08:45 PM
Just wanted to check: is this really as straightforward as it seems? i.e., remove/install with Allen key and that's it? Any tips or things I should watch out for? Thanks.
Yes, easy and straightforward IF other things are done as well. When installing the crank, remove the dustcover so you can see the splines line up. If not lined up, then tightened down, it will be time for a new crank. Before installing the dustcover, grease the inside of the dustcover, the washer that fits inside the dustcover and the top of the crankbolt. This will allow you to remove the crank using the 'auto-extractor' feature without galling any of the metal. Also grease the BB splines, the crank splines and crank bolt threads before installation. Lastly, use a torque wrench to tighten the cranks to the proper values; 25~35 ft lb.

wwtsui
05-04-2005, 05:05 AM
There are your answers for the two types...which do you have? Square taper, or Octalink? :banana:

Sorry -- it's an Octalink. Thanks for all the pointers -- much appreciated, as always.

TimD
05-04-2005, 05:51 AM
on whether you have self-extracting crank bolts or not. :)

TimD