PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk GPS

that guy
11-25-2010, 10:30 AM
I know there are a lot of other threads about GPS, but I'm hoping to get some comparison thoughts.

Has anyone tried the new Garmin Edge 800? I'm getting pretty frustrated with my 605. I bought it so I could use it to map out and ride new routes with turn by turn navigation. So far it's been hit or miss. Some courses/tracks/whatever load fine and work fine. I've had some amazing rides in the middle of nowhere on roads I've never seen. Other times it loads half a loop or less, takes me in all sorts of wrong directions and often down a side road and then back out to the route. Or it will take me to the end of the route instead of the beginning.

Anyone have any tips or tricks for this? I can't believe an $80 car GPS could work so well, and this thing can't do the same.

I should note, I do not have the CityNavigator map. I'm using an opensource alternative. Has anyone used both and does it make a big difference?

Also, I'm using RideWithGPS.com to draw my rides. MUCH, much better interface than MapMyRide (one of the worst web sites I've ever seen, IMO).

Thanks!

martinrjensen
11-25-2010, 10:56 AM
I "used" to agree with you about MapMyRide, but they have greatly improved their interface recently. I don't know how recently as I quit using it over a year ago because it was so bad but this last summer I found it pretty good.I know there are a lot of other threads about GPS, but I'm hoping to get some comparison thoughts.

Has anyone tried the new Garmin Edge 800? I'm getting pretty frustrated with my 605. I bought it so I could use it to map out and ride new routes with turn by turn navigation. So far it's been hit or miss. Some courses/tracks/whatever load fine and work fine. I've had some amazing rides in the middle of nowhere on roads I've never seen. Other times it loads half a loop or less, takes me in all sorts of wrong directions and often down a side road and then back out to the route. Or it will take me to the end of the route instead of the beginning.

Anyone have any tips or tricks for this? I can't believe an $80 car GPS could work so well, and this thing can't do the same.

I should note, I do not have the CityNavigator map. I'm using an opensource alternative. Has anyone used both and does it make a big difference?

Also, I'm using RideWithGPS.com to draw my rides. MUCH, much better interface than MapMyRide (one of the worst web sites I've ever seen, IMO).

Thanks!

onekgguy
11-25-2010, 11:21 AM
I know there are a lot of other threads about GPS, but I'm hoping to get some comparison thoughts.

Thanks!

I assume you've spent some time over at the Garmin forum (https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=245) to see what those who have the 800 have to say.

I'm not familiar with the opensource maps you've been using but I'd guess that's likely a key to the issues you're having with the bogus instructions you're getting. I've made up routes for my 705 on a few occasions and ridden them without any issues. I mostly just go in a general direction and let my 705 guide me once I've reached an area where I'm less familiar with where I'm at. For my purposes it fills all my navigational needs. I can only imagine the 800 is even better than its predecessors.

I do wonder where Garmin will be 5 years down the road when more and more people have smartphones that are GPS capable and demand for their products diminishes? Maybe they're working on getting into the phone end as well.

Kevin g

roydyates
11-25-2010, 07:22 PM
So far it's been hit or miss. Some courses/tracks/whatever load fine and work fine. I've had some amazing rides in the middle of nowhere on roads I've never seen. Other times it loads half a loop or less, takes me in all sorts of wrong directions and often down a side road and then back out to the route. Or it will take me to the end of the route instead of the beginning.

I have the City Navigator map. I've made and downloaded more than a hundred routes and it's never let me down. A few times it has shut off during the ride, but on restart it went right back to navigating the route. While it's true I have a 705, I think it's the same as the 605 when it comes to map routing. I have a modest preference for bikeroutetoaster, but ridewithgps also seems ok.

petal666
11-25-2010, 09:24 PM
I've put 100s of routes on my 705 and never had an issue. They've all been made in mapsource though. I have not tried with my new 800 yet.

Here (http://www.benmanson.com/review/edge800/800_review.htm) is my review of the 800.

Louis
11-25-2010, 09:49 PM
I guess I'm a retro-grouch.

If I plan on exploring a new route that looks complicated I print out a page or two from Google Maps, fold it, and store in a zip-lock bag. Half the time I don't even bother to refer to them.

Save 100 grams!!! (or whatever a Garmin weighs over and above a basic computer)

petal666
11-25-2010, 09:52 PM
How can you use 'retro' and google maps in the same paragraph? :)

Louis
11-25-2010, 09:56 PM
How can you use 'retro' and google maps in the same paragraph? :)

I knew that would sound funny (which is why I wrote it that way).

Most of the time I just look at my paper maps of the area. :)

Ray
11-26-2010, 06:20 AM
I knew that would sound funny (which is why I wrote it that way).

Most of the time I just look at my paper maps of the area. :)
That was pretty funny indeed. Paper maps printed from a computer mapping program are ok, but electronic maps from essentially that same data just don't cut it!

Reminds me of some of my old Deadhead friends. There was this theology in the old days that analog recordings were "warmer", "softer", and "better" than digital recordings and I don't doubt that they were/are at the high end. Based on this, some tapers insisted on tapes dubbed with Nakamichi tape decks, which were the best or among the best analog machines out there. So I'd get tapes from them that showed the generational path and it had been digitally recorded, digitally traded and reproduced a couple of times in the chain (which is good, because if its a direct digital copy, at least there's no generational loss in sound quality as its reproduced, whether it started out great or horrible), and then finally the last copy was made with their prized Nak decks. I tried to explain to them that even if analog recorded music was somehow warmer and softer and better, by the times its been through even one digital generation (let alone several), all of the analog decks in the world weren't gonna bring BACK that warmth, but they weren't buying it.

There are all different levels of luddite-ness. Google maps over GPS is a particularly entertaining one!

-Ray

KeithS
11-26-2010, 07:01 AM
When you try to be all things to all people, you really are some things to several people. I'm a retro grouch too I guess. I use my Edge 500 for exactly what I want it for, capturing ride metrics for download and historical purposes. I rarely ride in unfamiliar areas, so if I do want to know where I am or should be I use my Android and the half dozen or so mapping programs to tell me how to get home. I'm with Kevin, I wonder where Garmin is going to be in a few years, their software isn't going to be enough to sustain them. Now that I have 4G being delivered to my phone and not just an icon I don't see the need for an additional piece of hardware.

JMerring
11-26-2010, 07:51 AM
This is what someone in one of my riding groups had to say about the 800. I don't know him personally but he sent this out in an email to the group and asked us to share with other cyclists; pm me if you want his email:

Dear friends cyclists,

Some of you know me as a technologist (by education and experience) and a gadget man.

Over past few years I have tested for Garmin company a couple of their cycling computers. Namely; The Edge 305 and Edge 705.
Recently I have purchased and tested two Edge 800 units along a known and validated Edge 705.
My conclusion - DO NOT PURCHASE the Edge 800 at this time!

And here is why;

1) the new GPS receiver (not sure if it is the same as on 705) is typically 2 to 4 times less accurate than the 705.
Your ride will be displayed 40ft-70ft off the road you are cycling on, most of the time. You may lose GPS connections with satellites..
2) the Altimeter is often incorrect, thus causing Elevations to be inaccurate, which cases the Total Ascent/Descent and the % Grade (Incline/Decline) to be incorrect.
3) the worst of all issues relate to the new Touch Display. Though it is nice to simply touch and slide through various screens, the rendering of street names, icons, etc. is very fuzzy. The entire display seems to be of a lesser resolution, thus causing difficulty in reading, especially with sun glasses on (while cycling).
More importantly, the street names, and other named map items are displayed using lower case characters, thus are virtually illegible (Edge 705 displays characters in crisp upper case). Additionally, upcoming streets which are clearly displayed on the map, typically do not display street names at any zoom level. Even the road one is cycling on, typically has no name shown and it takes several steps to get the name displayed. Very dangerous while cycling! On Edge 705 it takes one step - moving 'handle' up/down displays GPS coordinates, then street name at the top of the screen.

And, Yes! There are a settings for larger text, larger map points, user points (WayPoints), zooming options, etc.
Unfortunately, these features do not work at this time!

There are other issues as well...but, the bottom line is;

Do not rush to your local bike store or 'online bike gadgets' to purchase the Garmin Edge 800 as of now!
You will end up like me - returning the unit, especially if you are used to cycling with the Edge 705, Edge 500 or even Edge 305.
Give Garmin at least 4 to 9 months to sort few things out. I continue to be in contact with their support team sharing my findings and recommendations!

You are welcome to contact me with any questions.

Please share my findings with other cyclists...
Regards,