PDA

View Full Version : OT-Home security systems

sjbraun
11-25-2010, 08:41 AM
Here I sit at the funky Austin Motel, waiting to enjoy Thanksgiving meal with our kids while back home in Tucson, someone may be burglarizing my home. Yesterday, we got a message from the person watching our house that a screen from a window in the back of the house had been torn off the window frame. Either the bum couldn't open our new windows or else he was just casing our home and he pulled off the screen to see if doing so would trigger an alarm.

I'm not so much concerned about our stuff, I have my laptop with me and my wife's computer and jewelery are locked in a floor safe, and most importantly, the bikes are locked in the shed. (I figure a burglar goes for the TV before he even thinks about the Pegoretti in the storage shed.)

All this has made me think I'd better install a home monitoring system. My wife and I are both gone during the day, so even when we aren't traveling, we are vulnerable to a break-in.

Surely some of you have experience with security systems. Your insights are appreciated.

Steve-it's just stuff, but I'd prefer to keep it

rwsaunders
11-25-2010, 09:12 AM
I have had a monitoring system from ADT for 10-12 years with no issues. I was as much worried about burglaries as I was worried about CO poisoning and smoke detection when we ordered the system.

Weird stats out there:

Most security systems are ordered after an incident occurs.
Most burglaries take place from between 10a-2pm...folks at work and school.
Most CO poisoning takes place at night...when you're asleep.
Amateurs will avoid a house with an alarm sign...I asked about buying only a sign. :cool:
Make sure that there is a cellular back-up, as by simply cutting the phone line, your system is compromised.

1centaur
11-25-2010, 09:34 AM
I believe systems are moving beyond phone line communication to Net communication, which should make it a lot cheaper to "wire" the house. If you are going to do something like this, I'd talk to your local police first. They should know what alarm companies have a good reputation for not giving false alarms (the police increasingly charge for responding to those), and they probably know how burglaries tend to be accomplished in your area.

Otherwise it's hard to know your situation without info on your physical set-up. If you are on a cul-de-sac far from a highway a burglar would need to be confident he could get in and stay in long enough to get the goods then get out and take his time escaping. If you are on a convenient street near a highway, it's easier to break the door in and get out in 5 minutes for an easy escape. If you have near neighbors who are home during the day, a siren might be pretty effective.

Having known a college kid who sold alarm systems during the summer, I say go with one of the most established companies in your area - the electronics themselves are of varying quality. Take a lot of time to plan out what makes sense in the real world, rather than what would stop Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible.

Personally, I think a sign that said your property is monitored by recording web cams would be effective. Nothing stops a burglary ring like positive ID.

SoCalSteve
11-25-2010, 09:34 AM
I have had a monitoring system from ADT for 10-12 years with no issues. I was as much worried about burglaries as I was worried about CO poisoning and smoke detection when we ordered the system.

Weird stats out there:

Most security systems are ordered after an incident occurs.
Most burglaries take place from between 10a-2pm...folks at work and school.
Most CO poisoning takes place at night...when you're asleep.
Amateurs will avoid a house with an alarm sign...I asked about buying only a sign. :cool:
Make sure that there is a cellular back-up, as by simply cutting the phone line, your system is compromised.

My house had an alarm system installed in it when I bought the house( including signs and window stickers from the alarm company)...

I never had the alarm turned back on after I bought the house...but, in essence it appears I have a working alarm system on my home... :banana:

Never an incident after 8 years of home ownership.

Lifelover
11-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Here is my home security system. They may look harmless however asTim would say

"That's the most foul, cruel, and bad-tempered rodent(dogs) you ever set eyes on!"

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4144/5206348039_9d7b9cd99a_b.jpg

Cinci Jim
11-25-2010, 11:18 AM
I went with Broadview when I put one in this summer. For $7 more a month they will install a gizmo that uses a cellular connection to monitor. The back up battery also runs it, so even with a loss of power for 2-3 days the system is fully functional.

Everything I own can be replaced, except for family & dog. I set it every night before going to bed and everyday when leaving for work. Usually the dog goes to daycare, but sometimes she stays home and that was my concern.

William
11-25-2010, 11:26 AM
:cool:

Elefantino
11-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Go ahead. Make my day.

http://www.house-cats.org/image-files/funnypansy.jpg

Peter P.
11-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Better than an alarm system:

Keep a car parked in the driveway, to give the illusion someone is home. Don't forget to have the mail/newspaper picked up when you're away.

Lights and TV/radio on timers. Outdoor lights on motion detect sensors.

Place "Beware of Dog" signs on the front and rear doors, even if you don't own any. As a minimum, put the signs up when you're away for a period of time such as now, or during a vacation.

Your local police department can provide you with more tips. I personally think alarms are down near the bottom of the list with regard to effectiveness vs. cost.

Jeff N.
11-25-2010, 05:13 PM
Smitty-Wes. I'm a light sleeper. Jeff N.

Dekonick
11-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Better than an alarm system:

Keep a car parked in the driveway, to give the illusion someone is home. Don't forget to have the mail/newspaper picked up when you're away.

Lights and TV/radio on timers. Outdoor lights on motion detect sensors.

Place "Beware of Dog" signs on the front and rear doors, even if you don't own any. As a minimum, put the signs up when you're away for a period of time such as now, or during a vacation.

Your local police department can provide you with more tips. I personally think alarms are down near the bottom of the list with regard to effectiveness vs. cost.

I disagree about the alarms being less effective... Perhaps for theft, but a monitored alarm system that also has smoke detectors can be a real home saver - as well as a life saver. Add a CO detector, water detector (floods, broken pipes, etc...) and a heat sensor in your garage and your home is a much safer place to live and leave... The burglary portion is just a bonus. The other sensors are why folks should have alarm systems. I can't tell you how many times I have gone to a home and a smoldering fire was extinguished... or someone had a pot of food on the stove and forgot about it... off to work... and they were able to come home to a house rather than a pile of ashes... because their smoke alarm called us before the neighbors would... usually when they see the fire or smoke (and it is usually too late at that point...)

So - get an alarm system but make sure they also have smoke, CO, water, and heat sensors as part of the package. BTW - they charge an arm and a leg for extra sensors, when they only cost a few bucks each... what a racket!

The only thing missing in my house is a CO alarm... and I need to get one... :crap:

Blue Jays
11-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Swap alarm company decals with a neighbor.
For example, if you have a "Jones Alarm, Inc." installation and your neighbor has a "Smith Security Company" system...just switch stickers.
It can help keep professional burglars off-balance and confused.