PDA

View Full Version : Educate Me On Speedplay Pedals - Thinking About Making The Switch

tlarwa
11-24-2010, 01:09 PM
I have always used Look pedals ... and am still riding on old-school PP-396s. They've seen better days, so I'm looking to try something new. I'd like to try Speedplays, but know little about them. I see there are different cleats and shims available, and I'm not sure where to start. Can someone point me in the right direction as to what I should look for? I'll likely buy on the used market, as I'm not looking to spend a fortune on new pedals. I have no "special needs" and don't use any shims with my Delta cleats. I ride in Shimano shoes, of that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Tom

veggieburger
11-24-2010, 01:35 PM
My only caveat on Speedplays is that there's a lot of float...a lot. You never feel like you're going to pop out, but if you don't have a good, straight pedal stroke, your ankle will be all over the place.

Otherwise....great pedals. Expensive cleats, so if you buy used, make sure they include cleats.

My .02

tlarwa
11-24-2010, 01:37 PM
My mechanics are pretty good (or don't suck, at least), so I'm not too concerned about excessive float. Thanks for the warning, though.

Tom

spartacus
11-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Big cleats with too many components, expensive spares, and all the professionals use them.

FlashUNC
11-24-2010, 01:45 PM
The main issue that I've seen is the engagement mechanism is built into the cleat, rather than the pedal. Walking about, according to some of my friends who use them, can lead to that mechanism wearing out a bit quickly, and the cleats aren't cheap to replace.

Despite that, they still use them and swear by them. I'm happy with my Looks (using a pair of PP296s as a matter of fact, decade old and still going strong), but folks do love Speedplay.

dimsy
the "float" can be adjusted assuming you're talking about rotational. lateral float is non-existent. speedplay cleats have two screws which can give you as much or as little as you may need, you can even lock it out, so to speak, so there is no foot rotation.

also, if you plan on doing any riding in sandy or muddy conditions, find another pedal, as I have found that speedplays DO NOT work well in sand and mud. the sand gets wedged up in the area of the C ring and makes it VERY VERY tough to get in AND out of your pedals. keep this in mind too.

good luck.

pic of adjustment screws for reference:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tGSXj9Ssz1w/SYcjiB9T03I/AAAAAAAAARE/uq7-ujCeJzo/s320/float+screw.jpg

and don't worry, those screws don't move, ever. at least mine don't.

cmg
i came from using looks, 396, keos. Made the switch because i always had some kind of knee ache after the ride. Distance didn't matter. Went to speedplays and my knee aches disappeared. The trick is setting the cleat i'm using x2 and have no problem with large amount of float. it's great. most riders prefer the newer models that have a way to set the limits of float. never look back.

oldpotatoe
11-24-2010, 02:11 PM
My only caveat on Speedplays is that there's a lot of float...a lot. You never feel like you're going to pop out, but if you don't have a good, straight pedal stroke, your ankle will be all over the place.

Otherwise....great pedals. Expensive cleats, so if you buy used, make sure they include cleats.

My .02

Actually 2 models..X sereis that have a LOT of float, un adjustable and Zeros which have adjustable float 0 to 7.5 degrees either direction.

I rec the gent get Zeros. Great clearance, the most adjustable cleat there is in terms of left-right and fore-aft, pedals completely serviceable and rebuildable plus if ya fall and kill one pedal, you can buy one pedal.

Shouldn't walk in any road cleat but you do walk on a metal plate so altho expensive, if ya gotta walk around, they last longer than all plastic cleats like shimano or LOOK, which aren't cheap either.

Dave
11-24-2010, 02:11 PM
There are quite a few models, both full floating and those with adjustable float - clear down to zero.

It's wise to go to the speedplay website and read up on the variations.

I've used nothing but the X-2 free floating models for about 12 years. They work great for me, but I don't walk much in them. They will clog completely if you step into mud. Snow and ice aren't much better, but at least it can be cleared out by stomping on clean pavement.

If you're really into walking and not just on pavement, frogs might be the answer.

I would not buy used, unless the total price with new cleats is quite low. The cleats have areas that can become worn, particularly if the previous owner need cleat shims, but didn't use them. Some people whine about the lolipop wearing out on one side - that's due to a foot alignment problem that needed correction, not a fault of the pedal.

http://www.speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.choose

Mark McM
11-24-2010, 02:14 PM
The main issue that I've seen is the engagement mechanism is built into the cleat, rather than the pedal. Walking about, according to some of my friends who use them, can lead to that mechanism wearing out a bit quickly, and the cleats aren't cheap to replace.

My experience has been the exact opposite. Yes, the retention mechansm is built into the cleat, but it is completely recessed, and does not touch the ground when walking on the cleat. In contrast, the big plastic cleats on my old Look pedals got worn down quickly by walking, causing the cleat/pedal engagement to become sloppy.

On the other hand, the round springs on Speedplay X series pedals do get worn down in during actual pedaling use, and sometimes faster than you might expect, so maybe your friends just assumed it was from walking in the cleats. As I understand it, the Zero system cleats are more durable in use

Elefantino
11-24-2010, 02:18 PM
Been using them (X series) for 12 years. Have had one of my pairs for all that time, although they are being retired this offseason.

For me, the excessive float issue went away quickly. You get used to it. And it actually helped my pedal stroke, YMMV.

My wife started out on the light action but didn't like them. She then tried my X2s and was hooked, too.

I get years out of my cleats, too, because I take care of them and use coffee covers ($10 at the LBS; well worth it).

oldpotatoe
11-24-2010, 02:19 PM
My experience has been the exact opposite. Yes, the retention mechansm is built into the cleat, but it is completely recessed, and does not touch the ground when walking on the cleat. In contrast, the big plastic cleats on my old Look pedals got worn down quickly by walking, causing the cleat/pedal engagement to become sloppy.

On the other hand, the round springs on Speedplay X series pedals do get worn down in during actual pedaling use, and sometimes faster than you might expect, so maybe your friends just assumed it was from walking in the cleats. As I understand it, the Zero system cleats are more durable in use

In terms of models, I guess 'types', only 2..X series and Zero. Both have chromoly, stainless steel or ti axle type variations but the 'puck' is the same thruout, X series or Zero.

yep, x series spring wears more since the pedal rubs against a stationary spring. Zero, the pedal engages the ring then the ring rotates in the cleat..

Great pedal, I switched from Campagnolo/Look to Campagnolo profit to
Speedplay..now only SP Zero.

dimsy
11-24-2010, 02:35 PM
i should have mentioned that I use the Zero's so the rotational float is adjustable, as others have mentioned. Also, with the zero's i picked up a pair of the hard plastic platform adapters.

These things are clutch! Any speedplay user can attest to the fact that it's pretty difficult and slippery trying to ride them in plain old tennis shoes. the platform adapter, although it doesnt take the place of a real platform pedal, does exactly what it needs to.

just remember not to buy the clear plastic version as those used a more brittle plastic that would crack and break after repeated use. the softer plastic on the black version holds up very well. i've had mine for the better part of this year and I love them.

PETER REID
11-24-2010, 02:36 PM
I have used Speedplays in the past, and while I liked them, I didn't like the "Hot Foot" sensation that I got from them. To that end I have been riding Time's instead for the last 20 years or so. Sure, They are a bit heavier, but I like the comfort that I get from them.

Cheers,

Peter

thwart
11-24-2010, 02:38 PM
One word... Frogs.

Won't clog up. Walk normally. Reasonably light (they have a titanium model). Easy to maintain.

Went from toe clips to these and my chronic knee pain after rides evaporated.

weaponsgrade
11-24-2010, 02:56 PM
I really wanted to like them but I got hotspots in my foot with them. Also like others have said the cleat clogs easily in mud.

jbrainin
11-24-2010, 03:53 PM

Use cleat covers with Speedplay pedals and the cleats will last all year, easy.

54ny77
11-24-2010, 04:04 PM
don't walk on wood floors with speedplay cleats. ask me how i know this....

otherwise, yeah they're great. lots of float. like others said, if you pedal smoothly, you'll be fine. otherwise, you'll be all over the place. :bike:

bobswire
11-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Another sites view.
http://forums.competitor.com/topic/5347

nathbdp
11-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Switched to Speedplay X1 from SPD-SL recently and love them. Adjustable float. Main reason for switch was that I could use the Speedplay fore/aft extender plate to get my cleats back farther (long feet), much more efficient now.

John H.
11-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Do some searches- there are some good threads about the negatives of Speedplay pedals.
Excessive side to side rock is main issue-
Some users get hotfoot, foot pain, achilles issues, etc. Bottom line is your feet and legs have to do a bunch more work to keep everything stable.
Speedplay are only for those with the most neutral of pedal strokes and good mechanics.
That said, there are other terrific choices. Shimano SPD SL or Look Keo2Max are really good pedals.

woolly
11-24-2010, 06:16 PM
I'll cast another vote for buying new. And it doesn't really matter where you buy them, since it's extremely rare for them to ever be discounted from list price. They hold their value so well that if you decide they're not for you, you can sell them & recoup a considerable portion of your initial investment. But if you buy used to start with, you're plunking down a good percentage of the "new price", and are taking the risk of buying used.

This coming from a long-time Speedplay user (both X2's & Frogs), who has had both good & bad experiences buying used Speedplay pedals.

sean
11-24-2010, 06:29 PM
I started with the X-Series (infinite float) versions and other than the easy engagement, I hated them. My NDS foot would always hit the chainstay when I was climbing.

Gave them another chance and went for Zeros with adjustable float. Love them, I can independently adjust the inward and outward float and taylor to each foot. Engagement/disengagement is super easy.

Also, if you want to save some money. Get a pair of used Light Action and use the Zero cleats. Speedplay says it won't work, but it does- (you'll find quite a few people online who agree) instant Zero cleats. I have a bike with Zero's and a bike with Light Action, same cleat for both.

Couple of tips.

Spring for the Stainless versions. The spindles on the cromoly ones can rust if you're not right on them when they get wet.

Shoot some Tri Flow or similar in the cleats to keep them springy about once a week. A lot of people complain about how easy the cleats wear. I've found that 9 times out of 10, all they need is lubricant.

However, the plastic base of the cleat does wear. Get some covers for them. Don't do the aftermarket ones, they don't stay put. Stick with speedplays.

Keep in mind that these are not mud/dirt friendly. Even a little bit will clog up the cleat system or the springs and it becomes a huge PIA to get in the pedals.

Lastly. The pedal covers are great if you wanna hop on your bike without your street shoes. It's nice to have a set around. Easy on/off too. Great thing to keep in your saddle bag.

oldpotatoe
11-25-2010, 08:13 AM
Do some searches- there are some good threads about the negatives of Speedplay pedals.
Excessive side to side rock is main issue-
Some users get hotfoot, foot pain, achilles issues, etc. Bottom line is your feet and legs have to do a bunch more work to keep everything stable.
Speedplay are only for those with the most neutral of pedal strokes and good mechanics.
That said, there are other terrific choices. Shimano SPD SL or Look Keo2Max are really good pedals.

That's probably true for X series but not Zeros(lots of float, not all get hot foot, foot pain). When I went from Profit to Zeros, put the cleat in the same relative position, they felt the same. No extra work for feet and legs.

Did you have these issues when you used Speedplay? Where the models you used Zero or X series?

avalonracing
11-25-2010, 08:55 AM
I rode the old DA 7700 SPD-Rs forever and loved them. When the new "Look style" came out I tried them, had knee issues (even with the float) and after a few thousand miles I went back to my old 7700s. A year later I tried another set of the DA "Look style" and, again had knee issues.

I've since gone to the Zeros and have them on both of my road bikes. No problems and despite my initial trepidation about sprinting in them I find them to be very secure even with the extra floaty feeling.

Give them a try.

William
11-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Been riding and racing on them since the mid 90's. No complaints here.

William

lverma
11-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Have also had speedplays since the 90's and i still have and original one with the all metal body which i ordered out or the back of triathlete mag.

Needless to say they are great pedals for me as they reduced multiple knee pains.

I have had the zeros for a while and the biggest drawbacks i would say are
side to side rocking motion which only occurred on the steel ones and not the Ti ones. And the cleats need regular replacement if you walk on them too much. I have cleat covers which increase longevity quite well.

LV

CyclingGuru
11-25-2010, 12:51 PM
I have a set of Ti Speedplay Zero's..honestly I will never go back to anything else. They are very light but on the downside, the cleats are heavy and more work but if you buy the coffee covers like others have mentioned, you'll be fine. Before I go out for a ride, I just take them off right when I am sitting on my bike before I clip in and I put them in the back of one of my jersey pockets, works perfectly. I like how you can clip in on both sides, you have I think 15 degrees of float with the Zero's and then your legs aren't locked in a set position which could create certain knee problems for those with not the best pedal stroke. With the Zero's..you can get past some knee problems.

Ahneida Ride
11-25-2010, 12:53 PM
One word... Frogs.

Won't clog up. Walk normally. Reasonably light (they have a titanium model). Easy to maintain.

Went from toe clips to these and my chronic knee pain after rides evaporated.

Amen !!!!! some of us need tons of float ... :banana:
You can walk around too !!!! ;)

Clydesdales should use the Stainless Steel version.

CyclingGuru
11-25-2010, 01:06 PM
What really helped my pedal stroke in the off season was to train and ride on a fixed gear, it helps a lot and then of course your main bike on a trainer.

John H.
11-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Here is what I was looking for: http://www.epdoc.com/mvv/speedplay/index.html
Here is the entire thread:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=76097&highlight=speedplay

This was my exact experience. Pedals felt great right out of the box. But soon they started rocking- from there I blamed shoes, had foot and leg problems, hot foot, plantar wart, etc. Played with shoes and cleat position all summer. Only thing that cured it was getting off the speedplays.

Speedplay pedals can cause havoc on the bodies of those who do not have perfect pedaling mechanics. They messed me up. Very happy to be on Look Keo2max. For my money I would use Keo2Max or Shimano SPD SL- your legs will thank you.

oldpotatoe
11-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Here is what I was looking for: http://www.epdoc.com/mvv/speedplay/index.html
Here is the entire thread:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=76097&highlight=speedplay

This was my exact experience. Pedals felt great right out of the box. But soon they started rocking- from there I blamed shoes, had foot and leg problems, hot foot, plantar wart, etc. Played with shoes and cleat position all summer. Only thing that cured it was getting off the speedplays.

Speedplay pedals can cause havoc on the bodies of those who do not have perfect pedaling mechanics. They messed me up. Very happy to be on Look Keo2max. For my money I would use Keo2Max or Shimano SPD SL- your legs will thank you.

Glad you found a system that worked for you but I use Speedplay and my legs don't complain. I also don't have perfect pedal dynamics ever since i broke my back. I sit a little side saddle bt again, i can ride for hours w/o any issue or problem related to pedals or position as effected by the pedals.

Didn't work for you...works for many.

BTW-'better' shops have a demo program for shimano, look and SP..I do.

Big Dan
11-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Get a serious pedal. Forget Speedplay.

CyclingGuru
11-25-2010, 06:32 PM
It's honestly personal preference when it comes to pedals, what feels right for you, what helps keep your stroke true. To be completely honest, I had a lot of knee problems that were starting to brew and I had no idea why..I had been fitted perfectly to my bike but yet my knees kept hurting and I have never had problems like that. I was using a set of the Dura Ace SPD-SL pedals and with the minimal float, it just wasn't working with me because naturally even though I have a great pedal stroke, my legs didn't work well with them. Now that I have the Zero's..with all the float it has helped me but they aren't for EVERYONE. The shop that I go to locally is amazing..one of them has a set of of speedplays on their bike, one has the SPD-SL's, one has a set of Keo's..and they are so nice that they put cleats on my shoes and let me ride their bike in a trainer to get a feel for it..not every shop will do this but it was great. They work for me..but not for all and everyone has their preference, just my opinion. Just don't cut them out of your option, I love my Ti Zero's.

bicyclego
11-26-2010, 04:10 PM
I love my Frogs. I realize that technically I'm breaking the rules using a MTB pedal on a road bike, but they've proved to be really good all around pedals. I'm usually the first in from a stop on group rides (and can mash, on the rare occasions where I miss a clip). The float was strange in the beginning, like walking on wet ice, but the few times I've tried something else over the past 12 or so years I've ended up with knee pain.

Pete Serotta
11-26-2010, 04:38 PM
and about 6 years ago I switched to Speedplay. THey have worked well for me and I never looked back from switching.

I know it sounds like a worn out recording but if they put a smile on your face and have been adjusted for your riding and physical attributes....That is the one for you :

D :D Pete

Allanator
11-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Just started using the Speedplay Zeros and I love them. Coming from using Eggbeaters I don't think I could use a one-sided pedal. They do take a little extra effort it seems to clip in but regularly applying teflon lube to the cleat makes it easier. I really dig the amount of float they give you as well.

Setup is kinda of a hassle with all the different shims, adapter plate (why 4 hole shoes are almost non-existent is a mystery to me), and definitely use lock-tite on all the bolt threads (had them come loose on me on a ride). But if you take your time and do it right the first time you shouldn't have any issues.

yakstone
11-26-2010, 05:22 PM
I switched to Zeros a year ago and really enjoy them. Two sided entry and plenty of float works for me.

champ
11-26-2010, 06:45 PM
If you are new to Speedplay I would try the "Light-Action" X series and get the cleat covers regardless of which model you choose. Use the covers any time you are walking in your cycling shoes - they greatly extend the life of the cleats and keep stuff out of the mechanism. The cleats are very sensitive to how tight they are bound to the shoe. Go easy on the mounting screws and use blue Loctitie. Also, religiously clean and lube the cleats at the corners with dry lube every 150 miles or so. Grease once a year.

Marcy
11-28-2010, 01:24 AM
Another vote for Frogs. I've got a couple pairs of X/1s that I like, but love the simplicity and walkability of the Frogs more (just don't walk through mud).

I really don't notice any speed difference between both models, and I ride with some fast crowds. The Ti frogs are only about 40g difference in weight from the X/1s, not much at all. And the engagement mechanism is very simple.

However, if you don't like the "wet ice" feeling Frogs may not be for you -- I love the float though, and my knees are very happy.

-- Marc

Nil Else
11-28-2010, 10:12 AM
I tried but that WET ICE feel and the vague engagement of Frogs I absolutely couldn't get used to.

Me, a SPD-SL/Keo/Eggbeater guy that I need to feel the click and positive engagement. I have zero problems with my pedals thus far... however, I wondered recently I might be beginning to feel slight knee pains... with age I suppose? I can't say for sure whether it is related to riding but regardless I might have to look for pedals with more float... lets hope not.

oldpotatoe
11-28-2010, 02:24 PM
I tried but that WET ICE feel and the vague engagement of Frogs I absolutely couldn't get used to.

Me, a SPD-SL/Keo/Eggbeater guy that I need to feel the click and positive engagement. I have zero problems with my pedals thus far... however, I wondered recently I might be beginning to feel slight knee pains... with age I suppose? I can't say for sure whether it is related to riding but regardless I might have to look for pedals with more float... lets hope not.

Just for info, more float in a pedal isn't an automatic remedy for knee pain.

weiwentg
11-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Whatever model of Speedplay you get, get the cleat covers. They're just $10 bucks and they make walking quite a bit easier. They will protect your cleats from wear and from debris as well.

Likes2ridefar
11-29-2010, 10:04 AM
I've used speedplay for years and never use the cleat covers, fwiw. I bought covers a few years back and found it was a hassle to take them on and off and not worth the effort. plus they are two more things to carry around in a pocket.

I've no issues wearing the cleats down. it's just the metal cover and that does not effect the cleat. Just keep on an eye on the screws to make sure they don't wear down too much.

I also never lube my cleats. I've made it through the season on one pair of cleats, and I ride A LOT of miles.

I also don't think it's necessary to use the light action if you are new to speedplay.

I use the ti and stainless zeroes, have tried about every pedal out there, and always go back to Speedplay.

I use speedplays aluminum adapters which enables me to set the cleats back quite a bit more.

Maybe I'm lucky with wear on the cleat and lack of lube, rocking, etc but I've used quite a few sets of cleats over the years and a few sets of pedals and never had issues. FWIW, I do have a fairly natural pedal stroke and have the screws set to allow almost no play on both pedals.

I used the x series for a few years then switched to zeroes. I strongly prefer the zeroes.

Mike126
11-29-2010, 11:43 AM
I absolutely love my Speedplays. I bought the X2's probably about 8 or 9 years ago. It does take a few minutes to get use to them but the float for me was exactly what my knees needed. I had a bad case of petella tendenitus and ever since using them they are the only pedals I can ride and not be in pain. Even when I ride my hybrid with toeclips (very loose) I get some knee pain. But not with the X2's.

As for the cleats, get the cafe covers. I have not had to replace my cleats yet.

RADaines
11-29-2010, 12:40 PM
I have been using Speedplays for about 7 yrs, Zeros for the last five yrs and X's before that. I can only echo the positive comments. Cleats wear a bit fast; generally I get about 5K miles but sometimes less. I am willing to replace cleats as needed as the positive aspects of the system are worth it to me. I currently have about 14K miles on my Zero pedals and was wondering how long people have found the pedals themselves last. I am seeing some "scratches" on the bow tie regions but nothing major. BTW, I have not experienced the rocking that has been reported by others.

firerescuefin
11-29-2010, 12:47 PM
40K on the current set of Zeros and have done nothing but lube them regularly....nothing but smiles. I have never popped out of them under hard efforts and have never had a problem getting out of them when I needed to. I cannot say that for every system I have used. As Old P stated, float should not be necessarily associated with no knee pain. I was fit by Dr. Andy Pruitt, and we have nearly zero float dialed into mine...and I had more pain with the increased float. I don't even really see the market for the X series anymore.

dcuper1
11-29-2010, 02:08 PM
Just for info, more float in a pedal isn't an automatic remedy for knee pain.

Exactly!!! The way it works is like this. You buy pedal X, it feels great. After a while you get knee pain, you blame pedal X for the pain. You order pedal Y. It takes two weeks to install pedal Y and one week to actually ride regularly again. Pedal Y feels great. You tell everyone at all the online forums pedal Y is the greatest and pedal X is the worst. Now, the reason that you don't have any knee pain is it because of pedal Y or because you rested for three weeks?

Some will complain that too much float gave them knee pain others will complain that too little float gave them knee pain. You will be hard pressed to find a doctor to give you a diagnosis on knee pain.

anexetastos
11-29-2010, 03:02 PM
Go for BeBops. Strong, light, not as many issues as Speedplay, same pleasant float characteristics. They are also cross-platform: I use them to race on the road and with knobbies. Do yourself a favor and check 'um out.

endosch2
11-29-2010, 06:16 PM
I think speedplays are great - I replace the shoe cleats every 3000 miles, I could do more miles if I only walked / rode on pavement. The springs get flat spots when worn if you dont keep them really clean.

quattro
01-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Just read through this Speedplay pedal thread and found lots of conflicting information, I guess similar to saddles and shoes pedal choice is an individual matter. That being said, I was wondering if anyone is riding Speedplay pedals that has a Morton's Neuroma. Some complain of hot spots with Speedplay. I have used Frogs a number of years ago and did have some issues, first switched from Mt. bike shoes to road shoes and Time pedals and now to DA pedals, but wondering if trying Speedplay road pedals are something I should investigate. I understand there is an adaptor to allow you to move your cleat back further than DA pedals, sounds like a good thing to take the pressure off of the area that lares up the Morton's Neuroma. Are the newer Speedplay pedals compatible with 3 whole Look style shoes, I ride Specialized Pro Carbons. I appreciate any feedback.

quattro

slowandsteady
01-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Check out this thread before you ever consider Speedplay pedals:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=84572&page=4

quattro
01-23-2011, 03:45 PM

I have been following that thread and with all due respect, if I can get relief from my foot problem while riding with a different pedal system I could care less about their strong arm tactics.

SteveV0983
01-23-2011, 04:16 PM
I had been using Looks for 22 years and switched to Speedplay Zeros about one year ago. I cannot believe I waited that long. I absolutely love these pedals! First of all, mounting them is a breeze because your for-aft, your left-right, and your rotation are 3 separate settings. You simply mount the base plates where you want them fore-aft, then you mount the cleat bodies where you want them left-right, and then the float takes care of the rotation. No more fiddling with oversized rectangular holes and washers trying to get the Look delta cleat "as close as possible" to where it should be. The double sided entry is great and I love the rotational float.
As far as maintenance is concerned, I use the coffee shop covers whenever I am off the bike, so wear and walkability is not an issue (which, by the way, I also did with my Look cleats for 22 years). I guess I could be considered going "overkill" with the maintenance, but before each ride I give them a shot of Blaster Dry Lube ($4 at Home Depot) and it takes all of about...10 seconds. So the "you have to take care of them, blah, blah, blah" that some people say is a ridiculous argument. After a year, they have no rocking, engage and disengage perfectly, and look to have many more years left in the cleats. I also was plagued by knee problems my entire cycling life. I had been through a Serotta fit and a Specialized 3D fit, and nothing helped the knee problems. Until the Speedplays. The pain was instantly gone and has never come back.
Try them. I will never go back.

BumbleBeeDave
01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Try them. I will never go back.

You can probably get some good prices on used one right now . . . ;)

BBD

oldpotatoe
01-24-2011, 08:01 AM

I think it's a bad idea to discount a pedal that may work well for you because of this internet/forum thread. It is portrayed like SP is a nasty company that is screwing the little guy while making inferior products. I suspect there is more to this than what is presented on the interweb.

My suggestion is if the pedals work, use them, and like me, step out of the frag pattern of the allegedly poor SP business practices. I suspect, using the info on forums, that SP didn't like this guy using their name. They have a right to protect their business, whether it is thought they did that poorly or not.

AngryScientist
01-24-2011, 08:21 AM
Just read through this Speedplay pedal thread and found lots of conflicting information, I guess similar to saddles and shoes pedal choice is an individual matter. That being said, I was wondering if anyone is riding Speedplay pedals that has a Morton's Neuroma. Some complain of hot spots with Speedplay. I have used Frogs a number of years ago and did have some issues, first switched from Mt. bike shoes to road shoes and Time pedals and now to DA pedals, but wondering if trying Speedplay road pedals are something I should investigate. I understand there is an adaptor to allow you to move your cleat back further than DA pedals, sounds like a good thing to take the pressure off of the area that lares up the Morton's Neuroma. Are the newer Speedplay pedals compatible with 3 whole Look style shoes, I ride Specialized Pro Carbons. I appreciate any feedback.

quattro

i had a touch of mortons neuroma a few years ago, at least i think i did, but caught the problems early enough to prevent further damage to my nerves/tendons, whatever. i use speedplay zero's and the onset of the neuroma was from running, not cycling.

the far more important issue is good fitting, stiff cycling shoes that are not pinching, scrunching or confining any part of the foot, all while supporting the arch, ball and heel properly.

at a recent seminar by a world renowned fitter, he went on to say that 75 - 85 % of the cyclists he does a pro fit on are wearing cycling shoes that are at least a 1/2 size too small for them. this could easily aggravate of initiate a neuroma syndrome.

make sure you can, and do wiggle your toes often while on the bike, NO numbing of any part of the foot is acceptable as far as i'm concerned, if you get ANY, find and correct the problem immediately. might it cost you some $$ for new shoes or custom inserts or somthing else? yes - is it worth every penny to avoid injury - hell yes.

all that said, speedplays are an excellent choice in my opinion for sufferers of a foot neuroma because of the great cleat platform and large amount of cleat adjustability. good luck!

Geeeewiz
01-25-2011, 09:46 AM
For the money and ease of use go for the light action. If you are switching from look to SPs then it is like going "commando" for the first time. At first it feels a little too free, but after a while you begin to love it. Not bad pedals.

Geeeewiz
01-25-2011, 09:47 AM
i had a touch of mortons neuroma a few years ago, at least i think i did, but caught the problems early enough to prevent further damage to my nerves/tendons, whatever. i use speedplay zero's and the onset of the neuroma was from running, not cycling.

the far more important issue is good fitting, stiff cycling shoes that are not pinching, scrunching or confining any part of the foot, all while supporting the arch, ball and heel properly.

at a recent seminar by a world renowned fitter, he went on to say that 75 - 85 % of the cyclists he does a pro fit on are wearing cycling shoes that are at least a 1/2 size too small for them. this could easily aggravate of initiate a neuroma syndrome.

make sure you can, and do wiggle your toes often while on the bike, NO numbing of any part of the foot is acceptable as far as i'm concerned, if you get ANY, find and correct the problem immediately. might it cost you some $$ for new shoes or custom inserts or somthing else? yes - is it worth every penny to avoid injury - hell yes.

all that said, speedplays are an excellent choice in my opinion for sufferers of a foot neuroma because of the great cleat platform and large amount of cleat adjustability. good luck!

Also for the "hotspots" they mainly come into play when the cleat is adjusted too far forward. In the correct position no hot spots.