PDA

View Full Version : sports supplements

george
05-03-2005, 11:59 AM
I am currious for those of you who put in many miles on bike and or run and workout four five or six days per week if you use any type of sports supplements? For either performance enhancement or faster recovery.
I glanced at this months issue of TRIATHLETE magazine and saw ads for Myoplex Deluxe, Accelerade and Endurox R4, Damage Control Master Formula, BioBuilde, First Endurance, I heared from a fellow rider that a multi vitamin with extra magnesium and calcium tablets are good enough...I realize that evreyone is different with diferent goals and different levels of exertion and competion.
Myself I am passionate about running and cycling. I have been since 1999. I am not super competitive but generaly finish in the top 25% tile in the races I enter (any where from a 5K, to duathlolon, to eight marathons I ran and four to seven century rides during summer months) I will turn 38 years old at the end of this mionth and am noticing I am more tired at night than before? Any feed back or advice or personal encounters with any of the hundreds of sports nutrion/supplements on the market will be great. :)

dirtdigger88
05-03-2005, 12:12 PM
I use Endurox post ride- I also carry some with me when it gets really hot- I also use some form of weight gain drink in the later summer months to maintain my weight (not to gain) Other than that I try for a healthy diet rather than too many supplements- Lately I have been taking herbal tea with me instead of water- I am much more apt to drink the tea than the water- the herbal tea has no caffinee so I am not worried about it dehydrating me

Jason

Silverthump
05-03-2005, 12:55 PM
I first used Endurox on a three different weeklong rides in Colorado. Noticed a significant increase in recovery time and decrease in soreness. Buddies didn't use and did not get stronger throughout the weeklong rides whereas I always did. Have used it ever since.
I am Doctor of Pharmacy in R&D in the Pharmaceutical industry and am aware of the supplement studies limitations and the sports supplements scams.
Net-net, for this 57 YO grandpa Endurox plus branched chain amino acids is a componet of my training, on the road and in the gym.

BarryG
05-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Noticed a significant increase in recovery time
decrease?

What does the stuff (Endurox) taste like?

dgauthier
05-03-2005, 02:02 PM
. . . ads for Myoplex Deluxe, Accelerade and Endurox R4, Damage Control Master Formula, BioBuilde, First Endurance, I heared from a fellow rider that a multi vitamin with extra magnesium and calcium tablets are good enough...

All garbage. Eat real food. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables, don't each too much protein. You can help speed recovery by eating high glycemic carbohydrates within 2 hours immediately after a workout, but you probably already know that.

. . . I will turn 38 years old at the end of this mionth and am noticing I am more tired at night than before?

Get plenty of rest. As the body ages, recovery requires more time. Take the time, and your performance will improve. (Your performance will improve with *less* workouts - hard to believe, but true.)

Needs Help
05-03-2005, 02:27 PM
I will turn 38 years old at the end of this mionth and am noticing I am more tired at night than before? Any feed back or advice or personal encounters with any of the hundreds of sports nutrion/supplements on the market will be great.
It is well documented that it is beneficial to take supplements that are not required to pass any federal standards and could contain anything--as long as they are well advertised.

I recommend you keep a medicine cabinet full of pills and supplements, and when you feel poorly start taking stuff until you feel better. On the other hand, if you are really serious about your training, then I recommend you go see a doctor and get the good stuff:

http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200311/200311_drug_test_1.html

Better Living Through Science.

coylifut
05-03-2005, 03:54 PM
It is well documented that it is beneficial to take supplements that are not required to pass any federal standards and could contain anything--as long as they are well advertised.

I recommend you keep a medicine cabinet full of pills and supplements, and when you feel poorly start taking stuff until you feel better. On the other hand, if you are really serious about your training, then I recommend you go see a doctor and get the good stuff:

I read that article a couple of years ago. I just looked it over again. The following passage jumped out at me.

"One of my bike racers who isn't really a climber went on a training ride and dropped the best climbers on his team," he said. "They were like, 'Um, what are you taking?'"

Makes you wonder how prevalent doping is going on at the local level.

JohnS
05-03-2005, 04:01 PM

I can't believe that I'm actually agreeing with NeedsHelp...however, he's right. All these cyclists take these supplements because they help them do better. Then they act surprised when they fail a drug test. Normal vitamins and minerals don't help you perform. There's something, even caffeine in there doing something, and it ain't natural! Repeat after me---"I am not a doper, I am not a doper". Say it enough, and hang out with like-minded people, and you'll even start believing it. There's plenty in the pro peloton that do!!!

Tom
05-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Endurox tastes OK, not too sweet. I tried a can of it late last summer and it definitely seems like it keeps you from wearing down.

So does a loaf of Italian bread with a pound of turkey, mayo, lettuce and tomato on it. Wash it down with a half a gallon of grapefruit juice.

However, I prefer the mix for consuming on the ride.

Needs Help is right, though. Real food's the way to go. A ripe canteloupe is the best recovery food on the planet. Not one of those cannon balls you get in the store, but one vine-ripened in the sun giving off that sweet, sweet aroma.

Climb01742
05-03-2005, 04:12 PM
my fav recovery drug? a nap.

flydhest
05-03-2005, 04:16 PM
There's something, [. . . ] in there doing something, and it ain't natural!

This pretty much sums up why the doping thing is unlikely to reach an easy conclusion. What's natural and what ain't???? Heck if I know. Caffeine is naturally occuring, but beyond certain levels, it's against some rules. There is discussion of banning hypobaric tents.

What's a supplement and what's dope? I honestly don't think one can make an internally consistent definition that wouldn't be ridiculous in several cases. After all, rehydrating with saline is sticking a needle in your arm to inject chemicals. Your body produces its own blood, so why is taking some out and putting in later against the rules. With rehydrating, you're making your fluid and electrolyte levels higher than the would be otherwise and with blood doping, you're making your blood cell count higher than it would be otherwise.

gasman
05-03-2005, 04:57 PM
I'm an old fart (50)and I've tried Endurox and other recovery drinks. They all cost a fair bit of money compaered to just good food. Somebody on the forum suggested chocolate milk as the ideal recovery drink, I have been using it for the last couple months and it seems to work well. It's easy to have a glass just after walking in the door, then showering and then getting some real food.

Skrawny
05-03-2005, 05:25 PM
Remember: natural does not necessarily mean good or good for you. Take hemlock for example...Socrates did and look where that got him!
-s

Rapid Tourist
05-03-2005, 07:47 PM
I used R4 for a while after long rides and I noticed that it helped reduce recovery time and muscle fatige. Recently, I tried the First Endurance recovery product and wow, I had thought that R4 was great, but for some reason First Endurance works even better. I wake up the next morning following a long ride and feel as though I never even rode. I'm completely converted.

My attitude on eating good food versus using a recovery drink is -- if it helps you feel better and ride more, why not? Go for it. Have fun. :) Let others eat their leafy greens.

Sandy
05-03-2005, 08:11 PM
At my age, when I wake up the next morning after a long ride, I feel fortunate. :) :)

I am leading a PPTC no one gets dropped ride on May 14. It will be about 42 miles.

You really do love cycling, don't you?

Sandy

BarryG
05-03-2005, 09:20 PM
I tried the First Endurance recovery product and wow, I had thought that R4 was great, but for some reason First Endurance works even better.
It ain't cheap though - I checked and that stuff (Ultragen) costs $3 for each 12 oz post ride drink.

toaster
05-03-2005, 11:41 PM
I've read the science, I buy Lemon-Lime Gatorade powder at a wholesale type store that makes 9 gallons mixed for $8-$9 and then I buy some whey protein powder, plain or vanilla flavor, in bulk and mix the two in a 4 to 1 carbohydrate to protein ratio and there I have the latest endurance drink at a fraction of the cost of the name brands.

Food is food, drugs are drugs, and supplements are meant to separate you from your money. The above endurance mixture is a food first, and as a supplement it is really just a more convenient form of a sugar and a protein macronutrient. No magic, just something for your metabolism.