PDA

View Full Version : removing tufo glue on carbon rim question

cmg
11-24-2010, 08:29 AM
what's the easiest way of removing the glue film on a carbon rim? I pulled off the tufo tape but the glue film/layer stayed on the rim. Spent about 2 hrs rubbing acetone on the rim to get the glue off. This morning went to look at it and there's still some left. At one point went and got a scouring sponge put some acetone on it and scubbed the rim. Any thing else i should try?

on a side note, i see the next generation of glue tape for tubular tires. instead of using doublesided tape it only has one side of glue. place tape on rim peeling back 2" to have something to grip on to, place tubular tire, partialy inflate, pull off backing tape grabing the 2' you pulled back and the glue films remains in place between the two. the film/layer stayed on the rim when i pulled the Tufo tape off. gave me the idea.

aoe
11-24-2010, 11:54 AM
Tip I got from jimcav was to soak thin strips in acetone and leave on the rim for 10mins, wipe glue and move onto the next section. works well. If you do it concurrently on each wheel, you can get through a wheelset in an hr.