PDA

View Full Version : Cranks - Part Deux

dnovo
01-31-2004, 05:57 PM
Here are some more crank photos of the less common varieties from the Casa Novo fleet. The first one is the Miche Supertype, with a set of the matched TA cranks in the 'compact' sizes. About the same weight as a Campy Record double, and very, very nicely made (but the stock chainrings are somewhat 'normal' so I just had to put the TAs on -- or so I told the wife.) Dave N.

dnovo
01-31-2004, 06:00 PM
Now for something completely different: A shot of the Dura Ace 25th Ann crank and crank arms, photos taken from my Nagasawa Road frame, done for the 2003 Interbike show by Mr. Nagasawa and painted in a gold color to match the highlights on the logos painted on parts of the 25th Ann group by Shimano. The crank, brakes, etc on this group are very highly polished. Please note, the SPD-R pedals that came with the bike and group (along with a book, a case, watch, etc and the appropriate cleats) are among the worst ideas Shimano ever had. I take them off and bolt on a set of SPD-SLs, one the better ideas they had, when I ride it. Dave N.

lithiapark
01-31-2004, 07:12 PM
Stuff like this makes a break from work really worth it!
Thanks
[this is a dancing banana free zone]

BumbleBeeDave
01-31-2004, 07:34 PM
Feeling a bit CRANKY today, are we?:p

Nice looking stuff. Do you know the web site for the TA chainring people? Some gold ones would look real fine on the Queen Bee!

BBDave

dnovo
01-31-2004, 09:17 PM
I buy mine from Peter White at www.peterwhitecycles.com They are offered in a variety of sizes, and in silver, blue, red or black. No yellow and no gold. Sorry. Dave N.

dnovo
01-31-2004, 09:20 PM
No, the front der on the Carrera is not red, as a wag asked in a private note wanting to know why I didn't have that painted blue to match the rest of the ensemble. The red is a reflection bouncing back from the shirt I was wearing when I took the picture. Just a normal Chorus double der. Dave N.

paengn
01-31-2004, 09:27 PM
Dave,
Can you please post a full photo of your gold Nagasawa one of these days? thanks a lot.

TimD
01-31-2004, 09:34 PM
I think I see some dirt on one of the chain links!!!! :eek: Seriously, beautiful stuff.

bfd
01-31-2004, 09:48 PM
Some questions about that very, very nice looking Miche Supertype:

1. what is the bcd ? the chainrings say 135?
2. Do they offer it in 110bcd?
3. how heavy is it?
4. how much?
5. where do I get one....

dnovo
01-31-2004, 10:29 PM
The Nagasawa is up in the Custom Gallery now. As for the Supertype:

I don't have the details you ask about the Supertype. Miche is imported by Red Rose. There is some information at their website ( www.redroseimports.com ) Miche has a writeup on the Supertype, including the hubs, crank, cassette, etc as a link at their website, which I misplaced but should be available through a search engine.

I got the frame and the Miche parts through Grand Fondo Cycles/Tommasini USA in Nashville who is also a Carrera/Olmo/Moser dealer. Red Rose, the importer of these three Italian lines, had one Volans left in its stock in my size, and as I had bought two Tommasinis through that dealer, we worked out a very, very nice deal. He suggested the Miche components, I 'researched them' and he did that as part of the package. Priced more like 03 Chorus as far as I recall, but you would have to speak to them. They supposed weigh more like the Record. The fit and finish on these, as you may be able to see from the photos, is very nice. There are some better shots in the Custom Image Gallery where I posted some pictures of the completed Volan with the Miche parts. Dave N.

Jeff N.
01-31-2004, 10:53 PM
Beautiful shots. Just beautiful. Jeff N.

shinomaster
01-31-2004, 10:59 PM
dave you sneaky devil...I wanted that Miche crank but I couldn't find one!! I called a local shop and the owner (an ass) told me that miche stuff was crap!...It is lighter than the record crank actually. :crap:

dnovo
02-01-2004, 07:46 AM
About the same weight, as far as I could tell by my less-than scientific methodology. As far as whether it is 'crap' -- haven't got that much time on it (barely any) so who knows whether it works well or simply looks good. The attention to detail and finish details looks very good, so if it is crap, it is well-executed crap. The shifting seems to work fine with the Campy front and rear ders (the crank and cassette are Miche, the rest of the drive train is Campy) and the hubs seem to spin nicely. But as I said, only time will tell, and I will keep you apprised as I go along if you want.

If a dealer can't order it from Red Rose, I am sure they will sell direct. Dave N.

dnovo
02-01-2004, 09:49 AM
Shino: Here is a link to an interesting article about the Supertype group (http://www.totalbike.com/articles/miche.html) Also, the company has a site devoted to the Supertype products, in English for those of us who are limited to only obscenities in Italian, or like Otto in A FISH CALLED WANDA, speak "kitchen Italian" only. (http://www.miche.it/supertype/superprod_eng.htm) Sounds like decent products, so the comment from the dealer that it is 'crap' no doubt meant, "I can't get it or I can't get a decent markup on the parts."

Oh, if they are correct on their weights, the Supertype cranks are lighter than the Campy Record double, 570gr vs. 632gr, both based on published weights.

Enjoy. Dave N.

shinomaster
02-01-2004, 03:31 PM
thanks for the info Dave as usual you are a treasure trove of treats and information..