PDA

View Full Version : Off topic - Vacuum Cleaners

cfacink
11-23-2010, 03:23 PM
I know Serrota formn memebers do thier homework during the buying of items so I am reaching out for some advice.....Yes on a vacuum. If you have gone through the extensive process of searching out a good one please give me a suggestion. I am willing to pay for quality.....

Jawn P
11-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Bissel sponsors a cycling team and are involved in the sport, so they get my vote!

JMerring
11-23-2010, 03:27 PM
I know Serrota formn memebers do thier homework during the buying of items so I am reaching out for some advice.....Yes on a vacuum. If you have gone through the extensive process of searching out a good one please give me a suggestion. I am willing to pay for quality.....

if you're willing to pay for quality, i'd say miele is the way to go. i bought a basic/entry level miele canister in 2001, which is still in operation and works perfectly to this day. it has been serviced but has otherwise been worry free.

vqdriver
11-23-2010, 03:48 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=77238

Lifelover
11-23-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm a huge Kirby fan but would never pay full price for one.

You should be able to find a very lightly used one for about 1/2 price.

You can do without the carpet cleaning kit.

Even if it is 5 plus years old it will not make any difference. You just want to ensure it has the power transmission that helps it propel. That feature is at least 10-15 years old.

The one I use in the house I paid about $500 from a pawn shop. I have a non self propelled one I use in the garage/pet room I got at a yard sale for $30.

The bags can be pricey but I buy them in bulk (10-20) on line.

Idris Icabod
11-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Dyson. End of thread.

Peter P.
11-23-2010, 04:12 PM
I did the Consumer Reports thing before I bought mine.

Their article basically said the high priced vacuums don't last longer or perform better to justify the premium prices.

I chose a vacuum that was one of the top five in their ratings at the time; it was a best buy (to me) of price vs. features and performance. It is a Eureka Bravo 9.0 amp upright. I paid just over $100-15 years ago. Still have it.

P.S. Uprights are more powerful than canister designs. All that spinning ball turbo stuff is just eye candy. So says Consumer Reports.

Go to your local library. They usually keep the Annual Buyer's Guides in the reference section.

katematt
11-23-2010, 04:22 PM
Wifey's got a trusted vacuum guy in the know, and she came home with a Miele the other day. Had a Hoover for 8 years that died.

FWIW

pitcrew
11-23-2010, 04:47 PM
+1 on Dyson. We had recently vacuumed the house just prior to going out and purchasing a Dyson. Came home and tried out the Dyson....Couldn't belive how much dirt/etc was being left behind by our old vacuum.

oldpotatoe
11-23-2010, 05:52 PM
Dyson. End of thread.

Expensive, overly complicated, heavy...thread back on.

Smiley
11-23-2010, 06:08 PM
Miele, end of discussion as my first one is still good after 23 years and bought a new one cause they are like bikes after all.

weisan
11-23-2010, 06:12 PM
My personal take on this is to get the right tool for the right job, and that is not necessarily tied to $$$.

We got a cheapo Dirt Devil Dynamite that is "perfect" for our small little carpeted apartment. We got it from Costco and it was replaced with an improved and updated version after 2 years of impeccable service. :D

sevencyclist
11-23-2010, 06:17 PM
Miele working well for us. Has HEPA filter etc.

StellaBlue
11-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Dyson. End of thread.

Yup.. I actually don't hate the chore after getting one. And I have 2 dogs and have to vacuum at least twice a week.. It's a monster.

maxdog
11-23-2010, 07:28 PM
If you are handy and own your own home, I would suggest a whole house/central vacuum system. There is no comparison to the stand alone models. It will be more powerful, almost silent, No residual dust dispersion, you only deal with the hose and it adds resale value to your house. You can also have one installed professionally.

wc1934
11-23-2010, 07:32 PM
the weight of the machine might be a factor if you have to lug it up and down stairs

93legendti
11-23-2010, 08:02 PM
Miele

SManning
11-23-2010, 08:03 PM
I have a Riccar and it's wonderful. Made in the USA and the sweeper brush thingy that oscilates is made out of wood. I bought it when I was pregnant 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

BobbyJones
11-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who is particular about such things.

After much research several years ago I skipped over the Dyson and Miele route and went for a Hoover S3755 WindTunnel Canister Vacuum.

Mine is about five years old and has held up very well in a multi-pet, heavy use household. Efficiency is very, very good. Excellent combination of price and function.

There are several model numbers of the same core vacuum,but with different accessories, etc.

Good Luck in your search.

rice rocket
11-23-2010, 08:07 PM
Get a Dyson at Costco. Even if they don't perform entirely as well as the Mieles, Costco = unlimited return policy.

I had a Bissell ProHeat from Costco, fried it after 4 years. Took it back, full refund.

Support your LCS (local Costco store). ;)

rpm
11-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Which is why I like my Oreck to clean my carpeted stairs and rooms. I use a Eureka Mighty Mite for bare floors. The combo is ultralight and it works fine. Unless you have to deal with pet hair, 20+ lb vacuum cleaners are overkill.

the weight of the machine might be a factor if you have to lug it up and down stairs

buldogge
11-23-2010, 09:42 PM
Miele Capricorn is definitely the way to go...Dyson is all hype...the Miele is overpriced but the performance is excellent and it does exactly what it's supposed to do...kinda like a Serotta! ;)

-Mark in St. Louis

Louis
11-23-2010, 09:50 PM
the Miele is overpriced but the performance is excellent and it does exactly what it's supposed to do...

At $1100 per, that's quite an understatement.

Can I wear my Rapha Tweed Softshell while vacuuming?

buldogge
11-23-2010, 10:49 PM
Louis...It really is that nice...We've gone thru Hoovers, Eurekas, etc. We have a 4yo and two dogs (one with white hair) as well as dark (Jarrah) floors and the Miele is really nice...going from carpet/rug to hardwood is painless...the brush head is powerful...and the hepa filters are easy to change. It's typically German...of course, I'm a BMW guy as well! :D

-Mark

At $1100 per, that's quite an understatement.

Can I wear my Rapha Tweed Softshell while vacuuming?

Ken Robb
11-24-2010, 05:31 AM
we bought a Miele canister used from our local dealer who provides the same warranty on used as new. I guess that tells how confident he is in their durability. It works great on flat carpeted areas, stairs and tile. We have two fluffy white dog-like creatures.

dave thompson
11-24-2010, 06:17 AM
we bought a Miele canister used from our local dealer who provides the same warranty on used as new. I guess that tells how confident he is in their durability. It works great on flat carpeted areas, stairs and tile. We have two fluffy white dog-like creatures.
Oven at 350*, a little garlic basil pesto, turn when almost done. Dip in extra virgin olive oil/balsamic vinegar. Yum!

54ny77
11-24-2010, 06:19 AM
oh my. vacuums? what's next, best q-tips?

it must be winter.... ;) :banana:

LesMiner
11-24-2010, 06:34 AM
Vacuums are really hyped with so many claims of performance and ease of use. So while you all are stating testimonials here is a link to a video about a very special 2 chamber upright vacuum.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid1543292789?bctid=3130509001

SEABREEZE
11-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Dyson. End of thread.

AGree , had the other popular name brands. We have 2 German Shepherds, bought the Animal version, by far addresses the dog hair on the carpets like none other. Whats nice is no bags, empty the canister, and keep going.

Thinking about getting the wife for christmas the new mini version hand held for all the places the big boy cant go.

zap
11-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Miele.

Purchased one ten years ago and would purchase another.

Ozz
11-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Miele....we got an upright (Salsa) rather than a canister because it is easier to store.

head and shoulders above anything Hoover, Eureka, Kenmore, or whatever....just go try one and handle it. The quality of the construction is pretty apparent. The ease of the bag change is worth every penny to me.

The shop where we bought it had a Dyson there to allow side by side comparisons.

Whatever you do, don't get a bagless.

Riccars are well made also.

Ken Robb
11-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Oven at 350*, a little garlic basil pesto, turn when almost done. Dip in extra virgin olive oil/balsamic vinegar. Yum!Between Dave and my friend Tae Won Kim I have plenty of recipes thank you. :)

Ken Robb
11-24-2010, 09:21 AM
Thinking about getting the wife for christmas the new mini version hand held for all the places the big boy cant go.

Get yourself an apartment at the same time so you'll have a place to live during the divorce proceedings. :)

Idris Icabod
11-24-2010, 09:51 AM
AGree , had the other popular name brands. We have 2 German Shepherds, bought the Animal version, by far addresses the dog hair on the carpets like none other. Whats nice is no bags, empty the canister, and keep going.

My brother has the mini version and the thing lasts just a few minutes per charge. Not sure if the one they reecently released is any better. He has vacuuming the couch down to an art in order to finish in the 6 minutes that the thing runs for.

Not sure why a Dyson is overly complicated as stated by someone else. It seems very robust, ours is going on more than 9 years now and we had one in the UK prior to that without problems. I've stripped it down myself and put it back together which was easy, tools are very easy to unwind and put back. Agree on the weight but we don't have stairs, my late-60's 100 lb Mother manages to lift hers up and down the stairs so it can't be that bad!

jumpjube
11-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Still doing its job after something like 30 years.

More expensive these days, but we have no reason to switch brands if this vacuum ever wears out.

The Miele was preceded by a Hoover that lasted 5 years.

Louis
11-24-2010, 11:49 AM
oh my. vacuums? what's next, best q-tips?

it must be winter.... ;) :banana:

I was thinking perhaps TP next. With lotion or without? :p

Ti Designs
11-24-2010, 12:00 PM
As with any tool, it depends on what you want to do with it. My ex-wife has my ex-Dyson, but she also has my ex-dog. It was the animal model (the Dyson that is), so it's perfect at picking up pet hair, thus the perfect tool for the job for her. I have no hair to pick up so I really don't need or want that same unit. I recently bought the GUV or Garage Utility Vacuum. It's a wall mounted sucker with a 20' hose to reach most places in my basement. It's a quarter the price of the Dyson and does a better job without needing to lug the whole thing around all the time.

jdhansen63
11-24-2010, 12:21 PM
I've had several Dyson's (they always stopped working) and as an engineer have not been impressed with the quality or performance. If seeing things whirling in circles makes you believe it's doing a good job, than the Dyson is the right machine for you. I would rather buy one machine that works well and will last a lifetime than buy something that that is built more for show that will need to be replaced every few years. I like the Kirby. If you contact a local Kirby dealer they will come out to your house and give you a demonstration too.

Ken Robb
11-24-2010, 12:40 PM
I like the Kirby. If you contact a local Kirby dealer they will come out to your house and give you a demonstration too.

Oh boy, will they ever! :) :beer: :banana:

fiamme red
11-24-2010, 12:43 PM
My 20-year-old Miele canister still works great.

Ken C
11-24-2010, 01:05 PM
I did the Consumer Reports thing before I bought mine.

Their article basically said the high priced vacuums don't last longer or perform better to justify the premium prices.

I chose a vacuum that was one of the top five in their ratings at the time; it was a best buy (to me) of price vs. features and performance. It is a Eureka Bravo 9.0 amp upright. I paid just over $100-15 years ago. Still have it.

P.S. Uprights are more powerful than canister designs. All that spinning ball turbo stuff is just eye candy. So says Consumer Reports.

Go to your local library. They usually keep the Annual Buyer's Guides in the reference section.

This is what I did also. I paid $65 for a hoover tempo which is a simple bagged upright. It has a 12 amp motor and works really well. Plus baggles vacuums expose you to much more allergens when you empty them. I would rather spend money elsewhere.

dimsy
11-24-2010, 02:02 PM
we use the orange and grey Dyson Ball vac in my home, you'd be surprised what that thing will pick up. Maneuverability is excellent, my only beef is that I wish they made the accordion tube that allows you to use the wand, a bit longer, yes it stretches, but sometimes it's not enough and i find myself pulling the whole vacuum around. And the red movable stand (kick stand so to speak) sometimes may get knocked off its track and it becomes very difficult to put back.

cleanup is VERY VERY easy, no bags at all.

It's strong and the colors match my bike. :D :banana:

Ahneida Ride
11-24-2010, 02:25 PM
This Thread SUCKS !!!!

Guess it also Blows too !!

:bike:

Relax, I am still on double secret probation.

jazznap
11-24-2010, 03:15 PM
I love our Miele; 12+yrs. We also have a Sebo which is very good too if you would rather have an upright.

Tried a Dyson and cleaning that container sucks. How is it hypo-allergenic if you have to open the dust bin to empty and suck in all the dust (since it is bagless)?

54ny77
11-24-2010, 03:52 PM
i haven't been around here very long, but in the time that i have (about a year or so), this thread has really, truly brought this forum to a new, shall we say, level.

to wit:

http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/20081028/425.the.view.102808.jpg

:banana:

Jeff N.
11-24-2010, 04:17 PM
We usually buy some POS Dirt Devil for 45 bucks at Walmart, which usually lasts about 6-7 months or so, then slam-dunk that into the trash and go buy another. I've paid much more for other vacuums that don't even last THAT long! Jeff N.

Louis
11-24-2010, 04:41 PM
which usually lasts about 6-7 months or so

For me that's usually the time between uses...

97CSI
11-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Remember that my grandmother used Hoover uprights. About 15 years ago decided we needed something better than the DustDevil cheapie and bought the TOTL Hoover canister and to this day it will suck the paint off your bumper. Excellent gear. The Campagnolo of vacuums.

russ46
11-24-2010, 05:30 PM
My wife was, I repeat was, a vacuum junkie. The quest for the perfect machine resulted in a new one yearly & sometimes more for about 6 years. Tried them all - Sears, Hoover, Dyson, etc. Then, THE BOSCH. The quest ended there. Expensive but amazing suction & from my standpoint also amazingly quiet. She's happy, I'm happy.