PDA

View Full Version : CX Tire Recs

deluxerider
11-23-2010, 01:30 PM
I want some recs for a good all-rounder CX CLINCHER tire. Something good in the mud, hard-pack, pavement, etc. A tire for every occasion, not a different tire for each occasion, although that would be ideal. thanks.

gasman
11-23-2010, 02:47 PM
I've had good luck with my Michelin Muds-32s

veloduffer
11-23-2010, 03:39 PM
It's very difficult to find a CX tire that does it all well.

Kenda Small Block 8 are very good for most conditions, particularly firm conditions. And Vittoria XG get good reviews as an overall tire too. They're both around $45.

A lot of praise by racers on the Challlenge Grifo for most conditions and Challenge Fango for mud. But they are $80 each.

xjoex
11-23-2010, 04:00 PM
The mud2 is a great tire for use offroad. On pavement it does wear down a bit fast. I also like the bontrager jones tire too.

-Joe

Likes2ridefar
11-23-2010, 04:16 PM
I used the XG clincher for six races this season. I had them set up tubeless on Ksyrium rims. Size 34 (measures 33 so was UCI legal) up front and 32 (probably a 30-31 actually) in the rear.

I also commute to work on them over pavement the entire way. Over pavement they roll OK, they buzz pretty loud when going very fast. The rear is quite worn in the middle after perhaps 200 miles of commuting.

As a cx racing option, they are OK at best, in my opinion. I would try something else were I buying new tires, probably the small block 8 by Kenda although I doubt they work well in mud. However, I will use tubular next year. Tubeless and clinchers are OK for testing the waters but tubulars are superior for racing.

The rear XG never let me down but I feel the front does not offer great traction in dry/dusty/dirt/grass conditions. I've yet to race them in the mud so can't comment there.

Basically, I feel the front does not work very well when cornering hard at high speeds. I've had it wash out on me a number of times at various pressures.

small disclaimer: i'm racing in the elite category and generally placing well so am racing fast and pushing the tires to their limits. YMMV

djg
11-23-2010, 04:19 PM
I don't think there's any such thing. The new vittoria xn is may be a good option -- it's a much improved tire I think. There's a file tread and small side knobs far enough over that they won't eff you up in normal, moderate road cornering but will grab on the side of a grassy slope. Challenge offers a similar tread in both clincher and tubular tires. I actually rode one of each to work today (had a bad challenge on the front and replaced it with the vittoria). It's a tire I like for commuting during cross season because it's fine on the road, but also lets me jump up on the grass for a bit of turf practice on the way to or from work.

But really, if you want something for messy or varied conditions you'll want more tread and if you want to really push it around a paved corner you'll want less -- basically, lots of cross tires can be ridden on the road just fine but you will never, ever confuse them for road tires, even if you jack up the pressure to something suitable for pavement and completely unsuitable for rough ground. I dunno, maybe find some version of the file tread for most conditions and then something like the Clement PDX for a much grabbier option -- it's not expensive or hard to mount.

DRZRM
11-23-2010, 04:44 PM
I like the Maxxis Locust, but like everyone says, there is no single tire that does it all. It's good on hardpack, on rooty single track, and is better than many on pavement, but it will do you no favors in mud or much sand.

oldpotatoe
11-23-2010, 05:26 PM
I want some recs for a good all-rounder CX CLINCHER tire. Something good in the mud, hard-pack, pavement, etc. A tire for every occasion, not a different tire for each occasion, although that would be ideal. thanks.

Clement LAS...and I gots 'em.

Bruce K
11-24-2010, 04:45 AM
Challenge Fango for all but the muddiest conditions.

BK

djg
11-24-2010, 07:35 AM
Challenge Fango for all but the muddiest conditions.

BK

Bruce, I hear ya -- it's a great all-around CROSS tire. I use it (at least the tubular version) as my go-to tire on my primo wheels because it works well on most courses in most conditions.

But as the other sort of all-rounder tire? I'll go back to saying that you can ride this on the road, and it will be fine, but tread wear will be an issue and you'll never mistake the tire for a good road tire.

Back to the OP -- including pavement in the list of conditions raises the question what you want the tire for. Some cross races have a stretch of pavement, although it doesn't dominate the course. Is that the sort of everything you have in mind? If so, I'd say that anything will do on the little stretch of pavement and/or gravel and the suggestion of a fango is a good one. But if you're talking about road riding, and trail riding, and cross racing, etc. tire, then I'm back to the initial problem that nothing is actually good at everything.

deluxerider
11-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Back to the OP -- including pavement in the list of conditions raises the question what you want the tire for. Some cross races have a stretch of pavement, although it doesn't dominate the course. Is that the sort of everything you have in mind? If so, I'd say that anything will do on the little stretch of pavement and/or gravel and the suggestion of a fango is a good one. But if you're talking about road riding, and trail riding, and cross racing, etc. tire, then I'm back to the initial problem that nothing is actually good at everything.

You've got the right idea. I'm looking for one all round race tire. So, the ability to commute on it is not a concern. I don't want to have a race tire for every condition. That would be ideal but, I don't have enough wheelsets nor do I want to spend that kind of money on tires.

veggieburger
11-24-2010, 09:12 AM
I like the Larsen Mimo CX, although I can't recommend it for pavement...

Bruce K
11-24-2010, 01:08 PM
For an all-round race tire I will stabd by my comment

Fango for all but the muddiest conditions. They are really good as damp, slick, wet, loose. On the hard pack and dry I run a Fango front and file tread rear (I got that combo from J-Pow).

BK

Scott Shire
11-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I'd recommend a Michelin mud front & jet rear; I LOVE this combo more for its versatility than anything else. However, despite its name, the Mud is not great in the very sloppy stuff (hasn't been since they were green).

John M
11-24-2010, 06:21 PM
I like the Maxxis Locust, but like everyone says, there is no single tire that does it all. It's good on hardpack, on rooty single track, and is better than many on pavement, but it will do you no favors in mud or much sand.

I agree completely with this review of the Locust. Superfast on hard stuff, but terrible in soft mud (6-pack knobs too close together to shed the mud).

Allanator
11-24-2010, 11:09 PM
I've been using the Hutchinson Bulldog. Pretty slow on pavement but really excels in loose dirt and mud, which is what I usually ride. They also make the Piranha which has less knob. I put one of those on the rear when on more hardpacked trails.

scrub
11-25-2010, 04:35 PM
I've been racing on WTB crosswolf in the mud and Maxxis Raze when dry or if I have to ride on roads to practice in the park.
I really like the Raze but since I'm in the PNW they don't work too well in the mud. I fancy trying the Maxxis Mimo.