PDA

View Full Version : DA 7700 FD Limit Screws - Question

tlarwa
11-23-2010, 12:05 PM
The limit screws on my FD-7700 front derailleur are pretty chewed up. Can I just back them out and replace them? I know there's a coil spring behind them, so I want to make sure I'm not going to screw something up if I do.

Also, where can I find replacement screws? Anyone have a couple they want to send my way? I'll pay for them...

Tom

kramnnim
11-23-2010, 03:01 PM
The limit screws on my FD-7700 front derailleur are pretty chewed up. Can I just back them out and replace them? I know there's a coil spring behind them, so I want to make sure I'm not going to screw something up if I do.

Also, where can I find replacement screws? Anyone have a couple they want to send my way? I'll pay for them...

Tom

You can just unscrew them... Should be an easy to find size if you don't mind switching to steel screws. Heavier, but won't chew up as easily...

oldpotatoe
11-23-2010, 05:31 PM

Tom

Or just trundle down to the local bike shop. The limit screws in RDers are the same..I'll bet they got a box of toasted derailleurs..just pull a couple of them out.

thwart
11-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Aluminum derailleur screws = bad engineering. There's a place to save grams, and that's not it. I've had the very same problem in the past with a 7700 FD. Steel screws went in instead.

I have no Shimano drivetrains presently, however.

Not that Campy has ever made any regrettable engineering decisions like that... :rolleyes:

avalonracing
11-23-2010, 07:54 PM
True that Stainless Steel might be a better choice for an OEM screw but then people would be whining about how Shimano's FD are 3 grams heavier and they'll lose sales.