PDA

View Full Version : cycling qoutations

flydhest
11-23-2010, 07:01 AM
I am fairly certain I got this from this forum, but it has been a while and we have new members:

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. --Mark Twain

It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle. --Ernest Hemingway

The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets. --Christopher Morley

Give me good books, good conversations, and my Trek Y-Foil, and I shall want for nothing else. –George Plimpton

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells

I’m the paté on the Universal cracker. I’m the grout holding your shower tiles on. I’m out of the saddle, sprinting up that hill and eating glazed donut bracelets off the right arm of Jesus. –Charles Manson

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. --John F. Kennedy

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. –Desmond Tutu

Consider a man riding a bicycle. Whoever he is, we can say three things about him. We know he got on the bicycle and started to move. We know that at some point he will stop and get off. Most important of all, we know that if at any point between the beginning and the end of his journey he stops moving and does not get off the bicycle he will fall off it. That is a metaphor for the journey through life of any living thing, and I think of any society of living things. --William Golding

My favorite toast is rye toast. –Paris Hilton

I came out for exercise, gentle exercise, and to notice the scenery and to botanise. And no sooner do I get on that accursed machine than off I go hammer and tongs; I never look to right or left, never notice a flower, never see a view - get hot, juicy, red - like a grilled chop. Get me on that machine and I have to go. I go scorching along the road, and cursing aloud at myself for doing it. --H.G. Wells

My father is the Hollywood equivalent of a clean, fillet-brazed frame. My brother is like one of those fat-tubed aluminum Cannondales. I’m more like one of those Taiwanese Masis. –Emilio Estevez

As a child growing up in pre-gentrification Boerum Hill, Brooklyn, I went everywhere by bicycle. My bike was in many ways the key to my neighborhood, which, at the time, was Boerum Hill, Brooklyn. This was in the 60s and 70s, before all the white people and restaurants. I really can’t underscore boldly enough the fact that I grew up in Boerum Hill, Brooklyn, before it was gentrified. You could get mugged! --Jonathan Lethem

Bikes have wheels. –Noam Chomsky

If my career were a hairstyle, it would be helmet-head. –Laura Dern

Perhaps the most vivid recollection of my youth is that of the local wheelmen, led by my father, stopping at our home to eat pone, sip mint juleps, and flog the field hands. This more than anything cultivated my life-long aversion to bicycles. –Tennessee Williams

Bicycles are the new rollerblades, talentless is the new talented, and I’m in hog heaven. –Ryan Seacrest

Perhaps the most vivid recollection of my youth is that of being flogged by the local wheelmen, along with the fieldhands, the postman, and a young Tennessee Williams. This more than anything cultivated my life-long aversion to his plays. –Truman Capote

If, during the Second World War, the United States had retooled its factories for manufacturing bicycles instead of munitions, we’d be one of the healthiest, least oil-dependent, and most environmentally-sound constituents in the Nazi empire today. –Ralph Nader

Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. --H.G. Wells

maximus
11-23-2010, 07:13 AM
Telegram (http://www.telegramme.co.uk/2010/04/12/landfill-editions/)

dimsy
11-23-2010, 07:18 AM
taking an excerpt from this does it no justice, so i'll post it in full length.

along with william blake and some other bards, when it comes to words, this man is untouchable, and he had alot to say about bicycles.

Ode to bicycles

I was walking
down
a sizzling road:
the sun popped like
a field of blazing maize,
the
earth
was hot,
an infinite circle
with an empty
blue sky overhead.

A few bicycles
passed
me by,
the only
insects
in
that dry
moment of summer,
silent,
swift,
translucent;
they
barely stirred
the air.

Workers and girls
were riding to their
factories,
giving
their eyes
to summer,
their heads to the sky,
sitting on the
hard
beetle backs
of the whirling
bicycles
that whirred
as they rode by
bridges, rosebushes, brambles
and midday.

I thought about evening when
the boys
wash up,
sing, eat, raise
a cup
of wine
in honor
of love
and life,
and waiting
at the door,
the bicycle,
stilled,
because
only moving
does it have a soul,
and fallen there
it isn't
a translucent insect
humming
through summer
but
a cold
skeleton
that will return to
life
only
when it's needed,
when it's light,
that is,
with
the
resurrection
of each day.

-Pablo Neruda

Dekonick
11-23-2010, 09:46 AM
I like to ride my bicycle... I like to ride my bike. - Queen

maxdog
11-23-2010, 11:27 AM
I believe you left out one of the great bicycle quotes by Jack London. I'd post it if I could remember it, or wasn't to lazy to look it up. Thanks for the others.

Uncle Jam's Army
11-23-2010, 11:52 AM
"Just put it in the 12 and go, mate." (Some Aussie dude, circa 1988)

Frankwurst
11-23-2010, 12:42 PM
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking!" -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle :beer:

cadence90
11-23-2010, 01:49 PM
This one always fills me me with sadness, pathos.

"Go on, go on!" - Tom Simpson, Mont Ventoux, 13 July 1967.

dookie
11-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I like to ride my bicycle... I like to ride my bike. - Queen

fat bottom girls, they make the rockin' world go round...

thegunner
11-23-2010, 02:09 PM
My favorite toast is rye toast. –Paris Hilton
:confused: :p

NeauDL
11-23-2010, 07:46 PM
"I spent most of my money on bicycling and windsurfing. The rest I just frittered away." Sorry, I don't know the source, but it's one of my favorite quotes.

eddief
11-23-2010, 08:48 PM
the jerk.