PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Campagnolo Cable sets?

scoobydrew
11-23-2010, 01:07 AM
I'm purchasing a cable set for my bike, which is setup with Campy Record 10 speed shifters (says Ultra on them, I assume 2008)

I was looking through eBay for some cable sets, and I've decided to go with the OEM ones in the black Campy boxes. I've read a few listings, and one of them said there are Ultra-shift specific ones and regular Ergopower ones.

What's the difference in between these?

Also, I'm planning to buy the one in this listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...T#ht_500wt_922

Is this the correct one to use with my Campy Record 10sp shifters?

Edit: I searched a few threads here, and supposedly the diameters for the housings are different from 2009 on. For 2008 and below, I'll need to put in a ferrule when installing the shifter housing end into the shifter itself. Fact?

jlwdm
11-23-2010, 04:32 AM

Edit: I searched a few threads here, and supposedly the diameters for the housings are different from 2009 on. For 2008 and below, I'll need to put in a ferrule when installing the shifter housing end into the shifter itself. Fact?

Both sets called Ultra, one with ferrules, one without.

The following is from an outline I have created based on my purchases plus a lot of info from Dave and oldpotatoe:

1. My Bikes
2007 Record 10: older with ferrules, ER500 or 500 somewhere
ER500 from Lickton say R1134440; newer are ultra-shift; two housing ends have the metal ferrules attached
2009 Centaur 10: new ultra-shift, because new shape shifters; no
ferrule attached to two cables like prior cables; ER600 or 600 somewhere; can use these on pre 2009 if add ferrules
2009 Chorus 11: new ultra-shift also; no ferrules

2. Differences
It's the cable housing that is different, not the shift cable
No ferrule on two pieces of housing on the new 11spd shifter unlike the 10s stuff, last made in 2008.
New shape levers, whether 10s or 11s, use 4mm housing and no ferrule for the brake or derailleur cable into the lever.
Ultra-shift are all 4mm
Packaging varies, so can’t tell if new or old

All ultra-low friction cable sets (2009+) should be the same for 10 or 11 speed. If you buy one of these sets to use with pre-2009 shifters, you just need to buy two generic 4mm ferrules so the cables will fit into the older ergo housings that need a ferrule. Any bike shop will have these ferrules, since Shimano uses 4mm cable housing.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
11-23-2010, 07:26 AM
I'm purchasing a cable set for my bike, which is setup with Campy Record 10 speed shifters (says Ultra on them, I assume 2008)

I was looking through eBay for some cable sets, and I've decided to go with the OEM ones in the black Campy boxes. I've read a few listings, and one of them said there are Ultra-shift specific ones and regular Ergopower ones.

What's the difference in between these?

Also, I'm planning to buy the one in this listing:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...T#ht_500wt_922

Is this the correct one to use with my Campy Record 10sp shifters?

A suggestion, since you have 2008 ERGO. Go to a decent bike shop and get 5mm lined der and brake housing, appropriate der inner wire for ERGO, any brake inner wire and build. Cheaper, works better and longer than either 4mm or Campagnolo 4.5mm. Get some brass ferrules as well(what we sell and use).

We take as many opportunities as possible to replace 4mm housing and even with those use 4mm brass ferrules.

scoobydrew
11-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys. I ordered it last night a few hours after creating this thread.

I'll go with the ferrule option.

oldpotatoe
11-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks guys. I ordered it last night a few hours after creating this thread.

I'll go with the ferrule option.

Big sigh.............................................. .................................................. .......................

You are in San Francisco, right?
far from Mill Valley? Saulsalito?

Go see Chad at Above Catagory, Tony at Bicycle Odyssey.......Plus '3 Ring' in SF.............

They 'qui si parla Campagnolo'.

Ralph
11-23-2010, 06:31 PM
If you have Ultra's, they are 2009 or later. If you have 2008, you have Ergo which takes the larger derailleur cables. Did you get the correct ones?

jlwdm
11-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Both are called Ultra-shift.

Jeff

sean
11-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Don't the newest 11sp "specific" ones feature teflon coated cables?

I'm using 10sp with 11 and no issues.

However, last month I cabled a 10sp setup with Yokozuna Reaction campy cables and fell in love with the stuff. The brake cable is super hefty but slick. It takes a lot to kink. It can handle some pretty extreme bends without too much friction.

When it comes time to redo the cabling on the bike with 11sp, unless something revolutionary comes out between now and then, going to switch to Yokozuna.

oldpotatoe
11-24-2010, 08:02 AM
If you have Ultra's, they are 2009 or later. If you have 2008, you have Ergo which takes the larger derailleur cables. Did you get the correct ones?

Actually you can use 2009 shifter sets on 2008 and older ERGO, just need a couple of 4mm ferrules for the ERGO lever. The cables stayed the same..for info. CANNOT use 2008 shifter sets on 2009-2011 ERGO since the holes for the housing in the ERGO do not use a ferrules and are 4mm in diameter.

Ralph
11-24-2010, 08:34 AM
That's what I was trying to say. It wasn't clear which year shifters he had.

I haven't yet used the 4 MM housing on older shifters yet. Still have good supply of bigger housing.

oldpotatoe
11-24-2010, 09:22 AM
That's what I was trying to say. It wasn't clear which year shifters he had.

I haven't yet used the 4 MM housing on older shifters yet. Still have good supply of bigger housing.

My suggestion is that you do not. Older levers, use 5mm housing for the deraulleurs. More consistent and long lasting performance.