PDA

View Full Version : Epic commute

rcnute
11-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Snow in Seattle!

dave thompson
11-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Ha, a little snow on the westside, piffle. C'mon over to my side, blizzard warning all night until 10AM, be a manly man.

SPOKANE -- The National Weather Service has issued a blizzard warning for much of the Inland Northwest.

The warning is now in effect for the following areas:

* Spokane and Coeur d'Alene area
* Northeast mountains of Washington
* Northern Panhandle mountains of Idaho
* Washington and Idaho Palouse
* Moses Lake area
* Upper Columbia Basin
* Waterville Plateau

The warning will be in effect until 10:00 a.m. Tuesday.

Snow, brisk wind and freezing temperatures will have a big impact on the region Monday and Tuesday producing blizzard conditions. A strong arctic front will interact with a moisture surge, resulting in heavy snow over a significant portion of Eastern Washington and North Idaho.

Expect snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches in the valleys with 6 to 10 inches in the mountains.

A blizzard warning means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds and poor visibilities are likely. This will make travel extremely dangerous. If you must travel have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded stay with your vehicle.

The arctic temperatures are going to stick around the Inland Northwest all week. Tuesday morning expect a low of only 2 degrees. Then on Wednesday the low is expected to drop down to 12 below zero.

rcnute
11-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Ha, a little snow on the westside, piffle. C'mon over to my side, blizzard warning all night until 10AM, be a manly man.

SPOKANE -- The National Weather Service has issued a blizzard warning for much of the Inland Northwest.

The warning is now in effect for the following areas:

* Spokane and Coeur d'Alene area
* Northeast mountains of Washington
* Northern Panhandle mountains of Idaho
* Washington and Idaho Palouse
* Moses Lake area
* Upper Columbia Basin
* Waterville Plateau

The warning will be in effect until 10:00 a.m. Tuesday.

Snow, brisk wind and freezing temperatures will have a big impact on the region Monday and Tuesday producing blizzard conditions. A strong arctic front will interact with a moisture surge, resulting in heavy snow over a significant portion of Eastern Washington and North Idaho.

Expect snow accumulations of 3 to 6 inches in the valleys with 6 to 10 inches in the mountains.

A blizzard warning means severe winter weather conditions are expected or occurring. Falling and blowing snow with strong winds and poor visibilities are likely. This will make travel extremely dangerous. If you must travel have a winter survival kit with you. If you get stranded stay with your vehicle.

The arctic temperatures are going to stick around the Inland Northwest all week. Tuesday morning expect a low of only 2 degrees. Then on Wednesday the low is expected to drop down to 12 below zero.

People over here are losing their minds.

TMB
11-22-2010, 10:44 PM
RC - I'm guessing if it was EPIC you must have been wearing Rapha. ( sorry had to get that out)

Looks good.

We have had snow here earlier than I can ever remember. Forecast for tonight is -20ºC, windchill of -28.

Tomorrow is -28ºC, windchill -35.

I spent a total of 4 hours over the weekend shovelling snow off the driveway.

I did ride a bit though - fat tires.

Good to see you. Hope all is well.

oh BTW - I drove to work today.

TMB
11-22-2010, 10:45 PM
RC - one more thing.

I love that bike.

rcnute
11-22-2010, 10:57 PM
RC - one more thing.

I love that bike.

It's great. Sometimes I wish I lived in a place like you do so I could justify a Surly Pugsley.

TMB
11-22-2010, 11:02 PM
It's great. Sometimes I wish I lived in a place like you do so I could justify a Surly Pugsley.

This is how you justify a Pugsley ...

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=555505&page=4

BengeBoy
11-22-2010, 11:32 PM
I drove my car today but may take the mountain bike in to work in the morning. Seattle just doesn't do snow well.

Am watching my friends and colleagues struggle home via Facebook - took one of my colleagues 6 hours to get home tonight on what is normally a 45-minute commute. Some other folks I know are still in their cars (it's 9:30 p.m.) after leaving work early "to beat the rush."

Edit: another colleague just reported in - left the office at 4:15, home at 9:55 p.m. He was posting his obituary on his Facebook page while sitting in traffic: "Froze to death in a car while stuck in a traffic jam..."

zmudshark
11-22-2010, 11:42 PM
It was barely 60*F in PHX today. What's the world coming to?

TMB
11-22-2010, 11:48 PM
It was barely 60*F in PHX today. What's the world coming to?

Ba$t#rd.

weisan
11-22-2010, 11:56 PM
rc-pal, funny that you should post this.

We had just the opposite today here at St. Louis, the temps. was unusually high at mid-70s. It was basically the calm before the storm, as the forecast for the rest of the Thanksgiving week is pretty dismay. Sure enough, a storm came by a few hours ago and now the temp. is in the 40s. But I managed to get out in the morning and savored every minute of what potentially could be the last fair-weather ride for the Fall where I could put on just a short-sleeve and shorts. I did 38 miles along the beautiful St Albans roads in pretty windy conditions but otherwise, just perfect. Wished I got the camera with me.

Here's the route:
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/mo/chesterfield/113129048888426005

Until then, I am looking forward to first Spring ride. I took this short video clip last Spring riding with two of my buddies.

http://alicehui.com/video/perfectride.html