PDA

View Full Version : OT: chicago

malcolm
11-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Will be in Chicago this friday, sat and sun. Going to the Bears/Eagles game on sunday. Will have a 10 and 8 year old with me. Any kid type must do things while we are there?
thanks

fieldrecordings
11-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Museum of Science & Industry.

Ken Robb
11-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Museum of Science & Industry.

Absolutely and it can easily be a all-day adventure. It sounds corny but the Coal Mine Trip is really good. You have never seen a better huge model train exhibit either I'll bet.

false_Aest
11-22-2010, 02:14 PM
+1 on the M.S.I.

Shedd Aquarium and the Adler Planetarium are not too worth it (Shedd is like $23/person) BUT the Field Museum is.

Art Institute is also rad as is the Museum of Contemp. Photography.

Pizzeria Due is worth the wait.

Sears Tower (or wahtever its called now) not so much.

werd.

malcolm
11-22-2010, 05:00 PM
thanks guys

MadRocketSci
11-22-2010, 05:29 PM
forget the sears (willis) tower. For the same price go to the john hancock and take the free elevator up to the 95th, where you can chill with a couple of drinks or lunch. View is better too.

+2 on the Field and MSI.

false_Aest
11-22-2010, 05:48 PM
forget the sears (willis) tower. For the same price go to the john hancock and take the free elevator up to the 95th, where you can chill with a couple of drinks or lunch. View is better too.

+2 on the Field and MSI.

The Top of the 'cock is called The Signature Lounge.
Swanky. Good Martinis.
Etc

Also . . .

You will be close to Grant Park and the gigantic silver kidneybean bed-pan. There's outdoor skating there. Maybe also around State Street.

State Street used to have mega rad xmas window displays. I dunno if they still do.

Navy Pier isn't worth it IMHO.

Holy Hell . . . I really miss Chicago. I really miss home. Damnit, I'm homesick now.... seriously.

MadRocketSci
11-22-2010, 06:09 PM
one heads-up about the MSI for kids. There are dead people on display. In one of the stairwells there are cross-sections (1/2" slices) of cadavers in glass panes, and in the reproduction section there is a long section of zygote-fetus-near terms in jars. I thought they were fake until someone told me they were real, then got all wigged out for a day (i was about 12). Kinda similar reaction to bodyworlds now. One reason why i'm not a doctor.