PDA

View Full Version : Crank Bros. Problem/One Leg Pedal Drill/Help!!!

jmeloy
11-21-2010, 07:13 PM
So, I'm quite a ways form home and trying to beat the dwindling light home. Pedaling up a hill when all of a sudden my left foot comes free. Turns out that my CB cleat has pulled (either stripped the screws or just came loose... more later). Realized there was no way to get the cleat out of the pedal (Quattro's) so I got to cover the better part of 8 miles basically one legged.

Got home and so far cannot figure how to pop the cleat out of the pedal. Tried prying a screwdriver under and popping it but no luck. Tried to take large pliers and giving it a twist and no luck, flipped pedal over and squeezed from that side and no luck.

Any body got an idea for me?

p.s. will limit this drill to trainer from now on!!!

rice rocket
11-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Can you attach the cleat to another shoe? Or are the bolts heads unaccessible through the pedal?

jmeloy
11-21-2010, 07:23 PM
bolt heads are not accessible.

rice rocket
11-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Are they still in the pedal/cleat? If you can tap 'em out the bottom, replace them with two pins/drillbits/whatever you have that's straight, and drill the same two holes in a block of wood as a torque arm. And then torque.

xjoex
11-21-2010, 07:33 PM
Cut it in half with a dremel and buy a new cleat :)

But seriously, I would try to squeeze the "springs" of the pedal with a pair of channel locks on the opposite side and see if the cleat falls out. I think you already tried that though.

-Joe

Volant
11-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Do you have a set of spreader-pliers or retainer-ring pliers? Those would do the trick.

jmeloy
11-21-2010, 07:57 PM
but no go. the block of wood might be an idea...