PDA

View Full Version : Build question

mdeeds71
05-02-2005, 05:50 PM
I am rebuilding a bike and the current stem on it is a Cinelli painted to match and engraved with Serotta...was part of the new bike back in early 90s...It was attached to a Cinelli 66 bar...I did not deal with Cinelli much in those days and was told that I had to continue to use the 66 bars since the stem is 26.4 in size...so basically I cannot use a new bar at 26...Is this right???...

Also...I am swapping out a shimano 600 headset for a Stonglight A9...The stack height is only about .4 off so could I leave out the spacer (the one that is keyed or flatted) and just back the top onto the top cone...will this create a problem???

I worked in a shop for a few years but never did the road builds just the MTBs...and I don't remember much of the headet problems.

Mark

CNote
05-02-2005, 06:13 PM
If you don't want to use old Cinelli bars, I suppose you could shim a set of standard 26.0s. For the headset, I'd recommend using a washer (spacer) between the lock nut and cone nut. If the cone nut is contacting the lock nut directly and starts to loosen, the locknut will likely loosen along with it. Best to keep them independent of each other. .4 mm is not much, so you may not need to do anything. If you do, you may be able to get a thinner spacer. If that's not possible, the final (and very plausible) option would be to have the head tube faced just a bit more to allow for more stack height.