PDA

View Full Version : High flange road hub question

kgreene10
11-21-2010, 12:56 PM
I have a set of Bontrager RXL Scandium wheels that came with my Fisher Cronus (road) Ultimate. The front hub is high-flange with a 35mm radius and was designed as part of the Fisher Control Column to enhance front end stiffness.

The flanges are tall enough that they would bite into standard forks and so it seemed to me that this was a front wheel only to be used with the Fisher. In fact, I have wanted to sell the wheelset, but it has been difficult to find a Cronus rider in need of one.

However, I recently got a Time RX Instinct on warranty replacement and it's Safe+2 fork is wide enough to accommodate the high-flange hub.

So, two questions -- are newer forks typically wider in their stance than previous ones (i.e., they don't taper as quickly as they move toward the crown) and does anyone happen to know what class of forks would accommodate this high-flange Bontrager hub? Thanks!

Peter P.
11-21-2010, 05:11 PM
You obviously know all the details about the Fisher Control Column and discovered the peculiarities of the wheels. You're not likely to find another fork to fit those wheels without a lot of trial and error; they were built specifically with the Fisher fork in mind.

The only other option is a custom, steel fork with a wide fork crown, or a builder could flatten the fork blades up length of their inside legs to clear the hub flange. Some dropout designs place the dropout toward the inside face of the fork blade, or a builder might be able to modify a fork/dropout for the same result.

Cyclocross forks may have wider fork crowns than road forks, facilitating the fit of your wheel.

kgreene10
11-21-2010, 05:54 PM
Good idea -- I hadn't thought about CX as an option. I guess I would ride the wheels, given that they fit both my Time and my Fisher, but I would prefer to sell them. Any CXers out there want a brand new wheelset?