PDA

View Full Version : OT- I got banned...

fourflys
11-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Ha, first time I've been banned from a forum....

I made a humorous comment about numerous thread closings on a different cycling-specific site and one of the "mods" threatened to ban me... sometimes the hypocrisy of some places just makes me chuckle... yet another reason to love the Serotta forum (which got rude shout out...), the mods here are very reasonable about shutting threads down...

Love you guys!

pdbrye
11-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Ha, been there, done that!

TMB
11-20-2010, 07:12 PM
I bet i even know what site ....

AngryScientist
11-20-2010, 07:14 PM
if it's the site i think it is, you're better off :banana:

oldguy00
11-20-2010, 07:15 PM

I made a humorous comment about numerous thread closings on a different cycling-specific site and one of the "mods" threatened to ban me... sometimes the hypocrisy of some places just makes me chuckle... yet another reason to love the Serotta forum (which got rude shout out...), the mods here are very reasonable about shutting threads down...

Love you guys!

If Vsalon, it looks like you are still active there (ie. not banned). Says you were signed in 16 minutes ago.
But I'd say I share your feelings.

fourflys
11-20-2010, 07:23 PM
If Vsalon, it looks like you are still active there (ie. not banned). Says you were signed in 16 minutes ago.
But I'd say I share your feelings.

Maybe it just hasn't updated yet...

BumbleBeeDave
11-20-2010, 07:29 PM
. . .you naughty boy! ;)

BBD

eddief
11-20-2010, 07:29 PM
for how much gas escapes from you rear end and in which direction it goes. when you run your own successful sponsored or self-funded forum, you will be able to rule with an iron hand too. forums exist at varying levels of democracy/totalitarianism.

xjoex
11-20-2010, 07:31 PM
Wow...

-Joe

StellaBlue
11-20-2010, 07:52 PM
I got banned from there for disagreeing w/ one of the tools in charge. They don't actually ban you, they block your IP.. It still shows me active but says server is busy if I try to log in.. ATMO........ You won't be missing much but the usual circle jerk..

rugbysecondrow
11-20-2010, 07:58 PM
I got banned from there for disagreeing w/ one of the tools in charge. They don't actually ban you, they block your IP.. It still shows me active but says server is busy if I try to log in.. ATMO........ You won't be missing much but the usual circle jerk..
Then they fight over who gets to eat the bread. Some guys will do a lot to get a seat at the cool table, over there people put up with bull ***** just to be a voyeur of it. Sad, but funny.

eddief
11-20-2010, 08:13 PM
currently there are 100 logged in here.

Louis
11-20-2010, 08:23 PM
However draconian we think things might be there when they flush topics that are not sufficiently hip, I can think of at least a few subjects over here that I wish were dealt with as efficiently.

But the price they have to pay in the long run maintaining that standard of purity just isn't worth it.

fourflys
11-20-2010, 08:33 PM
However draconian we think things might be there when they flush topics that are not sufficiently hip, I can think of at least a few subjects over here that I wish were dealt with as efficiently.

But the price they have to pay in the long run maintaining that standard of purity just isn't worth it.

but the great thing about not shutting down a thread is that if you don't like the content, you don't have to view it... when you lock something down, it's now unaccessible... The only time threads get shut down here is when it gets too out of line by people's comments, not because it doesn't meet a "purity" standard...

like I said, my main beef and the reason I said what I did to get banned was the hypocrisy of closing a couple prior threads and NOT the one I commented on (gas grill advice, just a bit OT)...

I like OT threads, I think it gives variety to a place (although if all OT threads, the forum loses focus...)

I just thought it was amusing and you guys might get a kick out of it... I'm such a rabble-rouser...

BTW- most of the mods over there are cool, just one or two are tools...

97CSI
11-20-2010, 08:36 PM

I made a humorous comment about numerous thread closings on a different cycling-specific site ...........You mean that there are other bicycle-specific forums? :confused:

Uncle Jam's Army
11-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Did you get banned or did the mod threaten to ban you, as you state in the text of your post?

Smiley
11-20-2010, 09:00 PM
Ahneida Ride got banned too, from there did he not? :banana:

fourflys
11-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Did you get banned or did the mod threaten to ban you, as you state in the text of your post?

sorry, I should have said I got threatened and then I might have said it's too bad we can't ban the mods... I guess that one got me booted for a couple of weeks... :D

Ahneida Ride
11-20-2010, 09:16 PM
I've been on DOUBLE SECRET PROBATION here for 3 years.

Serotta Andrew won't release me.

Uncle Jam's Army
11-20-2010, 09:26 PM

I'm going to kick you out of college [or insert name of your favorite forum]! No more fun of any kind!!

SamIAm
11-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Don't feel bad, a mild mannered sort like myself has been banned 3 times for one week each over yonder and called an ass**** by one of the mods, but am none the worse for it.

No place like Serotta!

Lifelover
11-20-2010, 09:48 PM
I got banned after 78 post.

http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/members/bike-rider/

I still lurk there daily. Just like anywhere else, there are a few good threads mix within the chatter. I think I can actually enjoy it more without being able to post. I do wish I could view the pics and do searches.

Jeff N.
11-20-2010, 09:53 PM
if it's the site i think it is, you're better off :banana:
Absolutely. I think I know EXACTLY what site you're talking about. Not impressed. They can kiss my :butt: Jeff N.

rphetteplace
11-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Don't feel bad, a mild mannered sort like myself has been banned 3 times for one week each over yonder and called an ass**** by one of the mods, but am none the worse for it.

No place like Serotta!

.........and then I got banned when I stood up for you! :)

.........and then was threatened with another ban just a few days later by a mod who is now banned himself. :)

it's the internet the people aren't real.

Louis
11-20-2010, 10:20 PM
.........and then was threatened with another ban just a few days later by a mod who is now banned himself. :)

I was banned by him.

(I said something he didn't like about the paint on his Seven.)

fourflys
11-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I just noticed someone changed the saying under my username to "pack filler"... You stay classy salon.... :)

BillG
11-20-2010, 10:30 PM
I was banned by him.

(I said something he didn't like about the paint on his Seven.)

Swoop got banned? Well you're always welcome here! :banana:

gasman
11-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Swoop got banned? Well you're always welcome here! :banana:

I pretty sure Swoop didn't get banned but I think being a mod was a bit much for him to handle well. He left on his own accord.

I actually have learned a lot from Vsalon and from here. Mostly I think the people in both places are good hearted, there are jerks everywhere and the anonymous nature of the 'net makes it easier for people to flame each other.

I do enjoy the OT threads that are allowed to build here and I have learned about lots of non-bike related topics. Heck of a lot of knowledge here, it's why I keep coming back.

54ny77
11-20-2010, 10:50 PM
what, is getting banned from an internet chat forum the new "living on the edge?"

:rolleyes: ;) :banana:

as someone who participates frequently on both vsalon and serotta forums (as well as several others), i'll offer this much: if you really take any internet bike forum seriously enough that your chamois gets damp, thus causing you to post things that get you "banned" (oh, the horror! the shame!), then you should seriously consider spending less time on forums and more time riding yer bike.

fourflys
11-20-2010, 10:58 PM
what, is getting banned from an internet chat forum the new "living on the edge?"

:rolleyes: ;) :banana:

as someone who participates frequently on both vsalon and serotta forums (as well as several others), i'll offer this much: if you really take any internet bike forum seriously enough that your chamois gets damp, thus causing you to post things that get you "banned" (oh, the horror! the shame!), then you should seriously consider spending less time on forums and more time riding yer bike.

If you read what I posted before it was removed (which is pretty funny itself), you would have seen I really wasn't that worried about it... as I said, I always get a kick out of flagrant hypocrisy....

MarcusPless
11-21-2010, 01:09 AM
Swoop was more than just a bit over-the-top, over there (IMHO); much like he was here (again, IMHO). Lot's of good info, combined with too much rhetoric (for me, anyway). It looks (to me) that Richard Sachs might actually be trying to repair a few burned bridges; I applaud his efforts. I always thought that this schism was somewhat ridiculous. Most of us are just talking about bikes... Crazy...

--Marcus

Dekonick
11-21-2010, 02:32 AM
even the 'cool kids' still lurk here... they just won't admit it.

Pete Serotta
11-21-2010, 07:09 AM
Each Forum takes on a personality, and as in life, there are many personalities that can co-exist and a few that are best being invited off :D .

Yeah there are some that are too far from the "personality" that the Forum management has is mind for the overall personality of the forum. With the "mystery" name of the person things can sometimes go too far and thus leave.

Over the years I have learned lots from folks and also lots from how to not impede a fair forum for most.

I made some mistakes and even today make some in closing, banning, etx. THe long time posters and the mix of moderators keep us as close to fair as possible. Yeah sometimes I go outside that :help: :help:

Winters seem the most challenging for many of us. :beer:

PETE

Smiley
11-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Each Forum takes on a personality, and as in life, there are many personalities that can co-exist and a few that are best being invited off :D .

Yeah there are some that are too far from the "personality" that the Forum management has is mind for the overall personality of the forum. With the "mystery" name of the person things can sometimes go too far and thus leave.

Over the years I have learned lots from folks and also lots from how to not impede a fair forum for most.

I made some mistakes and even today make some in closing, banning, etx. THe long time posters and the mix of moderators keep us as close to fair as possible. Yeah sometimes I go outside that :help: :help:

PETE
Ur a wise man Pete................. Amen

Mr. Squirrel
11-21-2010, 08:01 AM
they are nuts!

mr. squirrel

csm
11-21-2010, 08:27 AM
I was banned on another non-bike related site.... over a private msg with a mod.
I like to think their silly little forum is less without me.

TMB
11-21-2010, 08:46 AM
I suspect that part of the OP's issue with that place may be traceable to one posting about a week and a half ago.

One of the "old timers" came in and posted a directed complaint to the admins that the board was entertaining too many threads that were not in keeping with the desired " mood" of the forum.

I noticed it changed very quickly after that. Lots of thread locks and post deletions.

I've not been back since I saw that start to happen in that fashion.

mike p
11-21-2010, 08:55 AM
+ 1...I don't think it's a them or us thing, I appreciate both forums. There are great people at both places and I believe many travel back and forth. Probably those that left here to start V Salon now better appreciate the effort it takes to run a great forum.

Mike

PETE

coylifut
11-21-2010, 08:57 AM
I think it's sad that the most active thread here is a negative thread about over there.

William
11-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Swoop and I clashed behind the scenes a few times in the beginning of the VS, no big deal. I just decided my participation would be limited there after that. Still a great group and I miss most of the folks over there.

Again, no big deal and I wish TT and the guys the best at what they do.

William

StellaBlue
11-21-2010, 10:03 AM
As long as you talk about beer, tennis, or some other BS they like, you're fine.. .. It's a shame, I joined because there were a few builders over there who offer great info..

StellaBlue
11-21-2010, 10:03 AM
I think it's sad that the most active thread here is a negative thread about over there.

Thank god you added to the post count of said thread. ;)

BillG
11-21-2010, 10:38 AM

Actually many of the responses are pretty friendly, don't you think? :banana:

oldguy00
11-21-2010, 10:44 AM
+ 1...I don't think it's a them or us thing, I appreciate both forums. There are great people at both places and I believe many travel back and forth. Probably those that left here to start V Salon now better appreciate the effort it takes to run a great forum.

Mike

I agree, great people at both places. Unfortunately there are a few (IMHO) stuck up mods over there (not all the mods).....and a gross amount of cheer-leading for certain people...
I don't get it.....they need to lock a thread about coffee in Philly (or something like that), etc, but threads about watches, music, other coffee threads started by the 'proper' people, grilling, thanksgiving, butcher block recommendations, knives, starbucks, airplanes, mens grooming, jewelry resale.....etc etc etc etc etc. those are all OK.....(and all within the past couple of weeks only...)

I obviously don't 'get it'..............

bostondrunk
11-21-2010, 10:47 AM

OK, what I don't understand is....................
HOW THE HECK did Ahneida Ride get a post count of 170k????????!!!! :banana:

97CSI
11-21-2010, 10:49 AM
OK, what I don't understand is....................
HOW THE HECK did Ahneida Ride get a post count of 170k????????!!!! :banana:He has much to say.........

SEABREEZE
11-21-2010, 11:01 AM
.........and then I got banned when I stood up for you! :)

it's the internet the people aren't real.

A new name for the infamous forum...BANNED FORUM, who would like to join...

Pete Serotta
11-21-2010, 11:29 AM
I am a member over there. and really enjoy MOST of the folks there as I enjoy MOST of the folks here. :beer: :beer: :beer: On me for the VSALON folks.....PETE

Swoop and I clashed behind the scenes a few times in the beginning of the VS, no big deal. I just decided my participation would be limited there after that. Still a great group and I miss most of the folks over there.

William

eddief
11-21-2010, 11:41 AM
then there would be no reason for over here and over there. Just a single, giant, opinionated...happy family with properly aligned karma.

Dekonick
11-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Ill bet most of us lurk there - and post some times...

I just won't leave a great place just because another 'colony' has left the home hive...

William
11-21-2010, 12:57 PM
I am a member over there. and really enjoy MOST of the folks there as I enjoy MOST of the folks here. :beer: :beer: :beer: On me for the VSALON folks.....PETE

Hey Pete,

I'm not sure, but since you quoted me I wanted to clarify...

No negative intended in my post and I don't think it came across that way. It's all good. :beer:

William

Pete Serotta
11-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Sir William!!!! William is NEVER negative... Drinks are on me :beer:

PETE

QUOTE=William]Hey Pete,

I'm not sure, but since you quoted me I wanted to clarify...

No negative intended in my post and I don't think it came across that way. It's all good. :beer:

William[/QUOTE]

Birddog
11-21-2010, 01:24 PM
HOW THE HECK did Ahneida Ride get a post count of 170k????????!!!!

Those are fractional reserve numbers.

Ahneida Ride
11-21-2010, 01:38 PM
Those are fractional reserve numbers.

Just like the Pedal Preserve, I create em outa nothing. :banana:
Just type numbers into a computer.

at least I don't charge you interest on them. :no:

:beer: :hello:

Smiley
11-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Black Suburbans follow RideMan everywhere he goes. Dude is Banned by Big Ben Bernake and his federalista's :banana:

BumbleBeeDave
11-21-2010, 01:56 PM
Just like the Pedal Preserve, I create em outa nothing. :banana:
Just type numbers into a computer.

at least I don't charge you interest on them. :no:

:beer: :hello:

Are you admitting there has been Quantitative Easing of your post count . . . ?!?! :eek: :D

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
11-21-2010, 01:58 PM
As long as you talk about beer, tennis, or some other BS they like, you're fine.. .. It's a shame, I joined because there were a few builders over there who offer great info..

. . . not liking tennis. But Man, what could you possibly have against BEER? :eek: :no: :D

BBD

ti_boi
11-21-2010, 02:27 PM

William

His hatred of the Eagles was anti-American. :D

rustychisel
11-21-2010, 05:23 PM
If you read what I posted before it was removed (which is pretty funny itself), you would have seen I really wasn't that worried about it... as I said, I always get a kick out of flagrant hypocrisy....

I like both forums, post in both, don't get the emnity, but your point is good. In the interests of defending free speech I'd say nothing was more craven and hypocritic than the locking of the Hitler Hipster thread

eddief
11-21-2010, 05:31 PM
this is not about free speech. i don't always agree about how it runs here, but have bowed on a regular basis to how it runs here. because mostly it works for me.

StellaBlue
11-21-2010, 05:36 PM
this is not about free speech. i don't always agree about how it runs here, but have bowed on a regular basis to how it runs here. because mostly it works for me.

Freedom of speech is a myth..

ti_boi
11-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Come for the bikes, stay for the super cool humans who ride them.

93legendti
11-21-2010, 05:44 PM
The thread topics on the 1rst page of this forum are interesting enough to prevent me looking at any other forums. Nuff said.

Kirk007
11-21-2010, 05:56 PM
It must be winter....

Both forums have value. Both have restrictions on what can be posted. Most of us are either for or against those restrictions. Both have suffered from ATMO overzealous moderators at times. It is what it is. If you've been around either very long you quickly catch what is acceptable and what is not. If you don't like the rules/restrictions don't go there.

This forum is not what is was, to me, but it still has value so I still come here restrictions and all. VSalon has always had a narrower bandwidth. It still has value. to me. YMMV.

roman
11-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Five pages on boo hoo hoo, I got banned by same contrary wanker becomes the flavor of the weekend?

This masturbatory culture of victimhood has gone too far.

It's not too late to become a forum of substance, and with that I mean vsalon, too.

Get out and ride your bikes, post about how you feel, what you learned, but don't cry wounded when someone denies you the opportunity to discuss a horse saddle's beneficial effect on your taint over there, or how you need a good tall chai soy latte before the path ride, or if you can't get over that your third grade teacher didn't pick you for line leader that fateful day. You know you remember- yes it stung, but there was a life lesson attached, and you moved on to a bigger world than included ambiguity and challenge.

Flame me, flame each other as you wish, and have fun doing it-they're just bikes.

Over and out-

dave thompson
11-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Five pages..........<snipped>

Vince, I am stunned at your posting! Forums aren't necessarily about what they're about, they are also a social society, much like a club if you will. Folks should be somewhat free to say, as you have, what they will even with hurt feelings. You've been allowed and the OP should be too.

Elefantino
11-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Flame me, flame each other as you wish...
First post? Oh well. Welcome to the forum! :rolleyes:

paulh
11-21-2010, 06:41 PM
I think he's the contrary wanker from there.

TMB
11-21-2010, 06:44 PM
First post? Oh well. Welcome to the forum! :rolleyes:

Not first, he used to be a member.

Now a moderater on another forum.

Louis
11-21-2010, 07:06 PM
It's not too late to become a forum of substance

So, just how big of a deal is all of this bike forum stuff? Apparently more important than I ever realized.

Perhaps next week we can move on to solving world hunger.

Mr. Squirrel
11-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Five pages on boo hoo hoo, I got banned by same contrary wanker becomes the flavor of the weekend?

It's not too late to become a forum of substance, and with that I mean vsalon, too.

Get out and ride your bikes, post about how you feel, what you learned, but don't cry wounded when someone denies you the opportunity to discuss a horse saddle's beneficial effect on your taint over there, or how you need a good tall chai soy latte before the path ride, or if you can't get over that your third grade teacher didn't pick you for line leader that fateful day. You know you remember- yes it stung, but there was a life lesson attached, and you moved on to a bigger world than included ambiguity and challenge.

Flame me, flame each other as you wish, and have fun doing it-they're just bikes.

Over and out-

dear mr. roman,
is it not traditional to partake of cheese with that response? it would make for a better meal.

mr. squirrel

StellaBlue
11-21-2010, 07:28 PM

Over and out-

Ah one of the mod tools from across the hall. Welcome..

PS: Sounds like you can use a hug.. :beer:

Elefantino
11-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Not first, he used to be a member.

Now a moderater on another forum.
I didn't know there was such a rivalry with VS.

I play over there, too. Just not as much.

cadence90
11-21-2010, 08:05 PM

Over and out-
OK. I will.

Jerk. Tool.

That's the short version.

Or...

This is your so-called "elevated content"? There is absolutely no more "substance" at VS versus Serotta. None. The saving grace of VS is FNL and the builders' comments, and I have never read crap comments such as yours by Dave Kirk, Carl Strong, Dazza, etc. either here or there. So perhaps your perceived lack of substance has to do more with your own postings as opposed to any forum specifically or in general?

Whatever.

All you (specifically you) do over there is buddy-cuddle; criticize many others; bash this forum often; use hackneyed clichès such as "victimhood" constantly (really, man, you've read way too much swoop crap pseudo-psych); only allow OT threads that follow your personal likes; etc. In fact, there are plenty of stupid OT threads still active over in your kingdom, as I see it. Apparently, grill and Matt Damon and some music threads are OK with you but rules inquiries, "fat boy" (your words) saddles, etc. threads are not. Strange, no?. Not very consistent. Not really so "elevated".

Look, you left here, you found your own little comfy nest, so now, for the good of all, please stay there. No need to return to comment here. You now have the elitist, self-absorbed, cliquish, boy's club platform you always craved. Good for you. But why return to piss here?

I'm sorry, all other Serotta members, but inane and pretentious comments and appearances such as this one really piss me off, winter or not, internet or not.

The bad eggs here are/were still the bad eggs there. Fortunately, most are gone. Most of the guys at VS are good guys, I think. But this appearance by this particular troll is just infantile, useless, and completely hypocritical.

This forum is much better off, in general, after the famous and storied huffy departure (talk about "whiny boo-hoo victimhood", my lord...) of the lunch-table crowd, imho. I hope the cited poster is in fact true to his words and is definitively "over and out".

StellaBlue
11-21-2010, 08:17 PM
That about sums it up.. Now you can lock it.. : )

chuckroast
11-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Thank goodness for the ignore feature....

SoCalSteve
11-21-2010, 08:20 PM
That about sums it up.. Now you can lock it.. : )

OK