PDA

View Full Version : Bottom bracket questions

Sevenrider
11-20-2010, 08:16 AM
Is there any kind of maintenance that can be done to prolong bb life?
on shimono da I might get 5000mi. recent sw to sram red got about 3500mi on the ceramic ($$$) going back to standard. I was on tour this fall and rode in steady rain for 3 days (may be a factor).
Is anyone using chris king bb ? if so what do you think Thanks

oldpotatoe
11-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Is there any kind of maintenance that can be done to prolong bb life?
on shimono da I might get 5000mi. recent sw to sram red got about 3500mi on the ceramic ($$$) going back to standard. I was on tour this fall and rode in steady rain for 3 days (may be a factor).
Is anyone using chris king bb ? if so what do you think Thanks

Make sure the BB shell is prepped and ensure you have a drain hole in the BB shell. sram ceramic BBs short life is common. Get the Force one, open when new, pry the bearing seals out, grease in there.

dogdriver
11-20-2010, 09:30 AM
I had bad luck with a RED BB also-- made noise, never got the bearing seal material to seat correctly. Replaced it with a CK (I may have been among the first retail customers for the SRAM model-- we had a request into CK for months before it became available)-- its just getting broken in after 5000 miles. Perfect, grease replacement is simple, spins like its on air cushions, no negatives at all. Highly recommended. It probably weighs a lot, but I don't care. I also have one on my mtb (Shimano DT) and its also perfect.

FWIW, Chris

97CSI
11-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Is anyone using chris king bb ? if so what do you think Thanks.[/list]Am using a CK in one bike (since '99) and have replaced the bearings once at around 10K miles. Did so as a precaution, figuring it was cheap insurance for $35. Went to order a CK BB this past week and could not find a Campy square-taper, so guess that is no longer an option. Too bad, as it is as good as it gets.

bike22
11-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Am using a CK in one bike (since '99) and have replaced the bearings once at around 10K miles. Did so as a precaution, figuring it was cheap insurance for $35. Went to order a CK BB this past week and could not find a Campy square-taper, so guess that is no longer an option. Too bad, as it is as good as it gets.
wait, ck makes/made square taper bbs?

97CSI
11-20-2010, 03:48 PM
wait, ck makes/made square taper bbs?EDIT: Make that "Absolutely Not"..... as was noted below, it is Phil Wood... All sorts of options. I have a stainless shell/Ti spindle model. One of it's best features is the ability to move the spindle left or right a few mm to center up the crank exactly where you want it. Was planning to order another for the Ottrott build, but I guess not.

oldpotatoe
11-21-2010, 08:13 AM
Absolutely.....once upon a time. All sorts of options. I have a stainless shell/Ti spindle model. One of it's best features is the ability to move the spindle left or right a few mm to center up the crank exactly where you want it. Was planning to order another for the Ottrott build, but I guess not.

Ya sure it isn't a Phil BB?
They still do make superior BBs. Square taper, ISO and JIS in a variety of lengths. I sell many, use one in my wet weather Moots.

pitcrew
11-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Absolutely.....once upon a time. All sorts of options. I have a stainless shell/Ti spindle model. One of it's best features is the ability to move the spindle left or right a few mm to center up the crank exactly where you want it. Was planning to order another for the Ottrott build, but I guess not.

Phil Wood yes, CK no.

dogdriver
11-21-2010, 08:24 AM
One of it's best features is the ability to move the spindle left or right a few mm to center up the crank exactly where you want it.

White Industries had one that did this, also. Worked like a champ. The spindle was held in lateral position by three (I think) allen head set screws that were threaded through the rotating portion of the BB cups. I used one on my single speed until the screws failed. Still have it around-- one of my winter projects is to try to find a machinist who can re-tap the holes for the set screws.

Great design for a single speed-- perfect chain line every time no matter what crank/cassette combo is used.

97CSI
11-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Ya sure it isn't a Phil BB?
:eek: My bad....... you are absolutely right. Been so long since I've given it any thought that I switched the names. That's how good they are. My apologies and mia culpa.