PDA

View Full Version : Pro teams can't all be on carbon, right?

vqdriver
11-20-2010, 01:09 AM
There's got to be a pro team on something other than carbon so educate me. I was asked this tonight by a non cycling acquaintance and frankly I don't follow the pros enough to answer.

dd74
11-20-2010, 01:23 AM
I think all the top pro teams with needs for large sponsors, like who you see in the TdF and other big races, are on carbon. I've seen smaller, more local teams on other materials, such as steel and Ti. For instance, there's a team that races on Gunnar steel frames.

It's all a matter, really, of who "gives" you what to ride on for the season.

130R
11-20-2010, 01:23 AM
depends on what you mean by "pro" teams

AFAIK UCI ProTour/Pro/Pro Continental teams are all on carbon

97CSI
11-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Does e-richie still have a pro-level cross team? Am guessing it's not on carbon. :no:

TMB
11-20-2010, 08:11 AM
As said above, they are riding whatever the bike supplier gives them to ride.

That means they are riding whatever frame the supplier wants to advertise, usually the one that gives the greatest profit to the manufacturer.

That said, the Skil-Shimano squad ride Koga-Miyatas. Scandium alloy frames.

There are likely others, I haven't looked.

pitcrew
11-20-2010, 08:39 AM
1. Define "pro" team.
2. Is the question asking about "strict" usage of one material or another (no exceptions) or more "in general" usage of a material. Team/riders often have a choice about a particular frame/material best fit to a particular situation/event or rider preference.

djg
11-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Does e-richie still have a pro-level cross team? Am guessing it's not on carbon. :no:

Richard sponsors a domestic cross team doing elite class races for sure. IMO, it's an awesome thing for an individual builder to do. And . . . er, yeah, to the best of my knowledge, the frames are steel frames he builds for the riders himself.

Not sure about the pro status of the riders. Plus, there's the question of the official nomenclature and the "person-on-the-street" view of what's meant by a "professional" -- these may not perfectly coincide in cycling, where there are domestic pros who don't really make a living from racing (as well as ones who do).

dancinkozmo
11-20-2010, 08:47 AM
..didnt some of the milram guys use magnesium pinarellos ?

TAW
11-20-2010, 10:37 AM
A couple of years ago at the Tour of KC we saw several teams at the hotel where they were staying, and if I recall correctly, the Kelly Benefit team was on steel Lemonds. They seemed to like them.

vpierce1
11-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Gilbert and some other Lotto guys were on Alu Canyons for the early season races. Also I want to say some Vacansoleil riders were on Alu or Scandium Batavus frames this year.

Louis
11-20-2010, 07:01 PM
As the joe shame rider that I am, I can say that it makes essentially zero difference to me what they ride.

The same way I will never be able to achieve the 3% body fat they have (or whatever it is they are down to) the fact that they ride one material or another, regardless of how much lighter it might be compared to my bikes, is so far outside my world that it has no influence on my likes or dislikes. However, I do have two CF framesets...

StellaBlue
11-20-2010, 08:17 PM
They ride what they are told to (or the choice of a few models in a companies line up). So what's the difference.

kong79
11-20-2010, 10:34 PM
He asked a simple question about teams riding something other than CF. So what's with all the attitude? If you don't know or don't care, why are you even posting on this thread? It's a good question and one I'm interested in also.

EDS
11-21-2010, 01:13 PM
There's got to be a pro team on something other than carbon so educate me. I was asked this tonight by a non cycling acquaintance and frankly I don't follow the pros enough to answer.

Vacansoil was on aluminum Batavus frames at some point in the past couple years. Mountain Khaki's were on metal frames this past season, I believe aluminum.

Idris Icabod
11-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Boonen rode an aluminum Specialized early in the season a couple of years ago until Specialized made a custom carbon frame to suit his geometry.

The best bet for pros riding non-carbon is to look for Cannondale sponsored teams, there are a few local shops around here that give the local pros CAAD10.

torquer
11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Besides Boonen, Petacci was on an alloy DeRosa a few seasons back while waiting for a suitably-sized CF frame to make it into production. Greg Rast's custom AL Trek was documented on one of the web sites, too (big enough stock geometry either wasn't available or he couldn't get low enough to suit his ultra-flexible position.)
But these are all special cases, or temporary fixes. What I think it points out, however, is that unless you are a big-name rider, or have an especially-accomodating bike sponsor, a lot of pro riders are stuck on frames that are less than optimal. But that's why they get the (EU minimum wage) big bucks.