PDA

View Full Version : OT: Ipad

rbtmcardle
11-19-2010, 10:11 PM
I did a search of the forums and the last thread I can find on this is 5 months ago or so... anyone have some real world experience using an Ipad in lieu of a laptop... specifically with regards to email - Exchange acct.. and some light "in a pinch" use of MS office applications - Word and Excel. I understand the Ipad has its own basic document program and a simple spreadsheet program. I am speaking more about some apps like Docs to Go etc for using native MS Office file types. I am also looking for a notepad type app, something to jot notes down like a scrap pc of paper.

thanks in advance.

rdparadise
11-19-2010, 10:23 PM
I bought one for my S.O. for her birthday about a month ago. Haven't used MS apps, however, I can tell you the email is excellent. You can use the Apple software for email, including exchange and there doesn't seem to be a big difference. Graphics are superb. Battery life, even while watching a movie is a good 8-10 hours without a recharge. Screen lighting is really great too even when not plugged in. It doesn't dim like most laptops to save battery life.

I bought the one without 3g so can't speak to that issue, although that is set up with no contract requirement.

If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate. I guess the only question I have is how much memory would the MS Office products take up? That could be an issue if you go with a smaller sized flash drive, however, I think you'll be alright.

Bob

Climb01742
11-20-2010, 05:07 AM
from what i understand, you can't load MS office onto an ipad. so all those programs would be simulated. that's one big difference between an ipad and the new macbook air. i'm trying to decide on an ipad as well. as a pure "consumption" device, it seems unbeatable. but even light "creation" has me a little leery. my guess is apple priced the air where they did to not cannibalize ipad sales. the air is amazing but very pricey...making the ipad very attractive.

xjoex
11-20-2010, 06:53 AM
I have had mine for about 6 months now. It is a really nice gadget, it is not a replacement for a laptop.

You can use google docs, which is nice. The keyboard is nice for sending email and surfing the web. But its auto word correction gets frustrating and cutting and pasting will send you in to fits of rage!

Its a great traveling media center, if you want to watch movies, listen to music, read books, surf the web and check email.

-Joe

Cinci Jim
11-20-2010, 07:34 AM
I bought one as a vacation web device. I don't want to take the work laptop on vacation, too tempting to check in...

This is great for movies, email, music, etc. I got the 64GB wireless version and I use it with this when I travel:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2582

Perfect combo!

I'm not an apple lover but I do like the iPad.

97CSI
11-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Also gave an iPad to my SO for her birthday last April. No 3g and no MS simulation apps. The biggest limitations we have found (I use sometimes when watching TV, sitting in bed, etc.) is there is no simple 'delete' feature when doing e-mail, it will not download all/any video/picture attachments on e-mail and we need another one for me (sometimes). Overall we are very pleased and my SO uses the e-book and movie features all the time. Great gadget. Especially as she got the iPad and I got the Ottrott. Life is good.

I bought one as a vacation web device. I got the 64GB wireless version and I use it with this when I travel:
http://kb.netgear.com/app/products/model/a_id/2582Don't understand. When is the netgear router useful?

konstantkarma
11-20-2010, 08:36 AM
I have had mine for about 6 months now. It is a really nice gadget, it is not a replacement for a laptop.

You can use google docs, which is nice. The keyboard is nice for sending email and surfing the web. But its auto word correction gets frustrating and cutting and pasting will send you in to fits of rage!

Its a great traveling media center, if you want to watch movies, listen to music, read books, surf the web and check email.

-Joe

Similar experience. The iPad is a great media device and content viewer but is no substitute for a laptop. Anything beyond simple email is difficult. Viewing PDFs ms word docs is fine but editing is a pain. Also, a huge problem for me is the tie in with Itunes. You must associate a particular file with a particular app. Gaming is great, viewing videos, if they are in an Apple approved format, is good, and the touch screen interface is nice.

Ray
11-20-2010, 09:10 AM
from what i understand, you can't load MS office onto an ipad. so all those programs would be simulated. that's one big difference between an ipad and the new macbook air. i'm trying to decide on an ipad as well. as a pure "consumption" device, it seems unbeatable. but even light "creation" has me a little leery. my guess is apple priced the air where they did to not cannibalize ipad sales. the air is amazing but very pricey...making the ipad very attractive.
I keep going back and forth on the ipad or the cheapest Air also. And I keep ending up with neither. I long ago decided I didn't really want or need a laptop. Then I get seriously attracted to the ipad, then I start thinking about how much more useful the little laptop would be and its barely any bigger, then I remember all the reasons I don't really want or need a laptop, then the circle begins anew. Its my new budgetary tool - circular thinking!

I'm reasonably sure I'll end up with an ipad eventually because that's just the kind of guy I am. But it might take another generation to see how they improve it. I can think of just a couple of relatively minor things I'd like to see that would make it more attractive and make me more likely to jump off of the current mental merry-go-round.

-Ray

97CSI
11-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Like several of us have done, you could take the easy way out.............. buy it for your SO. :) That leaves open the possibility of a laptop after an appropriate time has passed.

stackie
11-20-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm like Ray. Circular thinking prevents me from ever making a purchase.

Anyway, he is saying almost what I was going to say. Get the Air if you're thinking you might need to do any serious work. For $400 over the iPad, you get instant on from the flash memory storage like the iPad, a real keyboard, and a slightly bigger screen. It's only a pound more and you can hardly notice the weight diff in person. I think the Air is going to cannibalize iPad sales to some degree.

Jon

SoCalSteve
11-20-2010, 10:13 AM
I'm like Ray. Circular thinking prevents me from ever making a purchase.

Anyway, he is saying almost what I was going to say. Get the Air if you're thinking you might need to do any serious work. For $400 over the iPad, you get instant on from the flash memory storage like the iPad, a real keyboard, and a slightly bigger screen. It's only a pound more and you can hardly notice the weight diff in person. I think the Air is going to cannibalize iPad sales to some degree.

Jon

The form factor of the iPad cannot be beat...

It's apples to oranges compared to a laptop...

They really serve different purposes...

The software on an iPad is limited, you wouldn't want to do any serious business- work on one.

It's more a sophisticated toy- entertainment device.

And, it's a blast!

Kirk007
11-20-2010, 10:41 AM
I use mine a lot for work. Sit in meetings; take notes in word doc format then instantly send them back to the office to others that need them. It helps to use gmail, which you can sink with other email programs. It's good enough for me to edit our company website and to write blog articles from the road. You can load a a light office suite that works for around $10 as I recall. Using google docs or dropbox also makes life easy when editing docs from multiple computers. You can download Kindle reader as well as use the Apple reader. You don't have to take it out of your bag when you go through airport security (these little things matter to me). So for many trips I've eliminated lugging my laptop and 2-3 books for reading as I just download them to the ipad. It has a great battery life. It has made my life simpler when traveling.

It has its downsides - only being able to have one screen open at a time is a pain (I've read you can change this but its not Apple approved and probably voids warranty). It doesn't work well with some websites due to flashreader issues.

It is not a laptop substitute; not an everyday workhorse. If your needs require intensive work processing or similar needs look elsewhere. I too recently debated whether to get the new air and I had dropped my MacBook Pro and it required extensive repair (another potential plus of the ipad and the air is the solid state drive - less prone to damage than traditional harddrive (or so I'm told). At the end of the day I repaired the MacBook Pro as it has greater functionality than the Air (it replaces my desktop computer - something the Air would not do so well) and the ipad provides the needs that I have when I can get by on the road without needing to do a lot of document editing. I want a AirBook, but its sorta like wanting a 3rd roadbike when you've already got the race day bike and the everyday do it all bike.

rbtmcardle
11-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Thanks all for the replies, I like Ray and others am torn. I have a pretty good Core2 Sony Laptop but for quick notes etc. the laptop is just to inconvenient and too cumbersome to boot up. My first thought was more along the line of a tablet PC but that form factor just hasnt been developed enough and seems it will likely only ever be a specialty item. I will have to look into Google docs and the compatibility with native office files. I dont plan on creating docs or spreadsheets much on the ipad, just the ability to review / edit if necessary.

I've read mixed reviews with regards to the different office apps from the App store, I will probably pick up the 64G WIFI, I havent looked into the 3G but now that Verizon has it, perhaps that is an option too.

Ray
11-20-2010, 01:21 PM
I want a AirBook, but its sorta like wanting a 3rd roadbike when you've already got the race day bike and the everyday do it all bike.
Greg, you're on the Serotta forum here. That's stopped anyone from buying that third road bike WHEN???

-Ray

Charles M
11-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Love mine...

INCREDIBLE TOY!

I take it everywhere and have a LOT of use for it, but it's simply not really workable for working.

Look at the new MACBOOK AIR if you want way more work-ability but similar form and slickness of the pad.

BCS
11-20-2010, 04:34 PM
I know I could probably figure this out via a search but I hope that one of my more techno-savvy forumites can simplify this for me: I want to be able to show powerpoint presentations on the iPad. They will be created on a PC and can be saved on a flash drive. Is this doable? The only other things that I want from the iPad is music/photo storage, email, movies, etc no real "computing". Would this device make sense for me because it looks really cool.

MRB
11-20-2010, 04:36 PM
I have an ipad, and think of it as a media toy. It is fun to play with, but I can't get any work done on it. You can't take meeting notes on it for beans, and I can't get any of my work related tasks done on it.

Definatly not a subsitute for a laptop in my opionin.

sloji
11-20-2010, 04:39 PM
I bought one six months ago for 599 and kept it until last weekend and sold it for 500...i'm damn happy with that besides the fact like others have said it's an excellent media device as well as for an artist the paint programs are the bomb for doodling. Hard to go wrong when you can get most your money back and the real cost is less than 20 a month. Oh, i'd buy another one in a minute but i'm on the debt relief hunt.

avalonracing
11-20-2010, 05:09 PM
MacBook Air. All the way. Even though I'm typing on a fancy-ass MacBook Pro if I didn't buy a new motorcycle a couple of weeks ago I would be hard pressed to not go up to the Apple store right now and get a new Air.

Ray
11-20-2010, 06:31 PM
MacBook Air. All the way. Even though I'm typing on a fancy-ass MacBook Pro if I didn't buy a new motorcycle a couple of weeks ago I would be hard pressed to not go up to the Apple store right now and get a new Air.
For sure if you need to get serious work done. But the touch interface on the ipad/ipod/iphone is really pretty great for a lot of stuff. I like browsing the web better on the ipad than on a computer with a mouse or a trackpad and I like the ability to resize things with my fingers if I need to resize them. The downside, to be sure, is data input and any sort of file system if you need to move documents on or off of the thing. So, if that's what you need, Macbook Air. If that's not what you need though, its tough to justify the extra cost and all of that other stuff getting between you and the information if you're mostly browsing. I'd rather have typed even this short message on a keyboard, though, and using a keyboard with the ipad is a bit of a kludge.

Tradeoffs, tradeoffs, tradeoffs. Back to buying neither. But cameras - a guy can always use another camera!

-Ray

konstantkarma
11-20-2010, 06:49 PM
I know I could probably figure this out via a search but I hope that one of my more techno-savvy forumites can simplify this for me: I want to be able to show powerpoint presentations on the iPad. They will be created on a PC and can be saved on a flash drive. Is this doable? The only other things that I want from the iPad is music/photo storage, email, movies, etc no real "computing". Would this device make sense for me because it looks really cool.
No. Or not that I know of. The Ipad does not have a USB interface, all transfers have to be done through iTunes or another wireless sharing client. Also, you can use Drop box to add files to the iPad. However, there is no monitor output for Powerpoint interface with a Monitor or LCD projector.

Cinci Jim
11-20-2010, 07:43 PM
Don't understand. When is the netgear router useful?

Many hotels have only wired internet. this lets me make my own "hotspot" in the hotel room. Then I can sit on the bed & surf.

Kirk007
11-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Greg, you're on the Serotta forum here. That's stopped anyone from buying that third road bike WHEN???

-Ray
yeah I know ... says the guys with a new frame hanging in the garage waiting for parts...which would be #4....

Dekonick
11-21-2010, 02:39 AM
Anyone mess with any of the other tablets? Android or otherwise?

SoCalSteve
11-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Anyone mess with any of the other tablets? Android or otherwise?

There are "other" tablets??? ;)

pmac
11-21-2010, 09:41 PM
For sure if you need to get serious work done. But the touch interface on the ipad/ipod/iphone is really pretty great for a lot of stuff. I like browsing the web better on the ipad than on a computer with a mouse or a trackpad and I like the ability to resize things with my fingers if I need to resize them. The downside, to be sure, is data input and any sort of file system if you need to move documents on or off of the thing. So, if that's what you need, Macbook Air. If that's not what you need though, its tough to justify the extra cost and all of that other stuff getting between you and the information if you're mostly browsing. I'd rather have typed even this short message on a keyboard, though, and using a keyboard with the ipad is a bit of a kludge.

Tradeoffs, tradeoffs, tradeoffs. Back to buying neither. But cameras - a guy can always use another camera!

-Ray
You don't actually need to use the keyboard. You can use Dragon dictation, a free app that works great, and copy the text into Safari. That's how I wrote this.

RPS
11-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Did you guys see an ad during “60 minutes” for a new iPad app for watching current and archived 60-minute segments? I don’t know if there is a charge per episode or if having to watch commercials is enough "payment", but in either case watching TV on an iPad seems like a nice feature. I didn’t know that was an option.

jbrainin
11-21-2010, 11:21 PM
However, there is no monitor output for Powerpoint interface with a Monitor or LCD projector.

You can buy one for $29:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/IPAD_VGA_ADP?mco=MTczNzY0NDk

Ray
11-22-2010, 04:59 AM
Did you guys see an ad during “60 minutes” for a new iPad app for watching current and archived 60-minute segments? I don’t know if there is a charge per episode or if having to watch commercials is enough "payment", but in either case watching TV on an iPad seems like a nice feature. I didn’t know that was an option.
You can watch tv on damn near anything now. Computers, smartphones, some phones that aren't even all that smart. Most TV shows are archived on the web and easily available to most web browsers. Not sure how it would work with a 3g connection (probably not too badly but it would take longer to build up enough of a buffer, so probably some delay at the front end), but it would be fine with wifi. Most netflix viewers are bringing the signal in over the net through broadband and wi-fi - we just got an updated Apple TV box (TINY little thing), that gets all sorts of movies from itunes and netflix and that's all moving over our wifi network. The only shock would be if the iPad DIDN'T!

-Ray

Ray
11-22-2010, 05:01 AM
You don't actually need to use the keyboard. You can use Dragon dictation, a free app that works great, and copy the text into Safari. That's how I wrote this.
Yeah, but then my wife would always be able to hear what I'm typing, like when we have those threads about how we hide new bikes from our spouses... :cool:

-Ray

pmac
11-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Yeah, but then my wife would always be able to hear what I'm typing, like when we have those threads about how we hide new bikes from our spouses... :cool:

-Ray
Good point.

konstantkarma
11-22-2010, 09:39 AM
You can buy one for $29:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/IPAD_VGA_ADP?mco=MTczNzY0NDk
Cool! Thanks.

dave thompson
12-30-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm going to revive this.

I received an iPad for Christmas (I love my wife! She gave me a Kindle DX too.)

I hate it! Big, clumsy, clumsy to set-up and use. Try getting help from Apple.... hah! [/rant]

Ray
12-30-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm going to revive this.

I received an iPad for Christmas (I love my wife! She gave me a Kindle DX too.)

I hate it! Big, clumsy, clumsy to set-up and use. Try getting help from Apple.... hah! [/rant]
Joking, right?

I got one for my wife. She loves it - already has an iphone so setup was a breeze - haven't had to call Apple but they've always been great to deal with when we've had to for other products. I've played with it a few times and continue to go in circles about whether I'd want one, want a MacBook Air instead, or want neither. Neither is winning but will eventually lose, just a question of whether I'm talking months or another year or two and what it will lose TO. I love surfing the web on the ipad - best device for surfing I've ever used. But then if I need to type a response to something or enter more than a few words to order something, I wish I was on a computer with a real keyboard. This tradeoff is FINE with my iphone because it goes in my pocket where SOME sort of phone was gonna live anyway, but to carry another device as big as an ipad, I think that would piss me off more than anything. Around and around we go....

-Ray

dave thompson
12-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Nope, not joking. I don't have an iphone so I'm not used to the 'Apple way of doing things'. The use of the iPad to me is counter-intuative and really inelegant in use. To get things done, both on the unit and in the itunes store takes too many steps/layers to achieve what I want.

I'm a pretty savvy guy but a linear thinker, don't like to be lead around in circular ways of doing things.

SoCalSteve
12-30-2010, 04:25 PM
Nope, not joking. I don't have an iphone so I'm not used to the 'Apple way of doing things'. The use of the iPad to me is counter-intuative and really inelegant in use. To get things done, both on the unit and in the itunes store takes too many steps/layers to achieve what I want.

I'm a pretty savvy guy but a linear thinker, don't like to be lead around in circular ways of doing things.

I think you are in the minority here. The new IOS software (same as the phone now) makes the iPad a breeze to use and very intuitive.

As for the size, it can be a bit clumsy until you get used to it. Now I couldnt imagine not taking it with me where ever I go ( I tend to be really early for appointments) so this makes waiting super duper fun!

As for Apple service, you will NOT find better customer service ANYWHERE! When you call the 800 number, you get someone in AMERICA who's first language is English and you can (believe it or not) understand what they are saying (imagine that). Trying calling Dell or HP customer service....You'll see.

Take some time with it, call me if you want some help. Its truly a great piece of machinery.

Ray
12-30-2010, 04:48 PM

Well, you have to get over thinking it should work like a laptop - its not one and doesn't work like one at ALL. Including there's no filing system that they let us see, so in that sense I can see how it would be confusing to someone who's just used a Mac or PC based device. But if you've used iTunes and another Apple device like an iPhone or iPod touch you start to understand how they're thinking and it has its own internal logic that makes sense for this type of device. Those limits are why I might or might not end up with one of these, but they do make a certain sense for this type of entertainment device.

-Ray

thwart
12-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Or skip the iPad altogether and get the 11 inch MacBook Air instead. Has iPad size and weight (OK, a bit more), but more functionality for sure. I really love mine. And no problems at all reading even for these old eyes. The screen is downright amazing.

You can even load Windows on it if you like, and boot into either one.

For those moments when you're doing linear thinking... :rolleyes:

MadRocketSci
12-30-2010, 06:28 PM
the lame part of the ipad setup is that they make you sync the thing with a computer through itunes immediately. What if you don't want to load a move/music library onto it and just want to start surfing the web, checking email, using google maps, downloading kindle books and other apps, etc?

I love the thing, but people should be able to operate it as a standalone device without having to tether it to a pc/mac.

1centaur
12-30-2010, 07:25 PM
I love the thing, but people should be able to operate it as a standalone device without having to tether it to a pc/mac.

You want to use a razor without the blades? The horror! Resistance is futile.

Yes, iTunes is a really annoying program to a long term PC user. We're so used to being wary of having a program take control of our PCs that we are suspicious of iTunes and its "you will obey me" ethos. But over time, if you just use it for occasional updates or a little music library management, it's not so offensive. There's just plenty to ignore in there, and always the gnawing suspicion that it looks awfully like a camel's nose.

SoCalSteve
12-30-2010, 07:55 PM
the lame part of the ipad setup is that they make you sync the thing with a computer through itunes immediately. What if you don't want to load a move/music library onto it and just want to start surfing the web, checking email, using google maps, downloading kindle books and other apps, etc?

Why do you have to "tether" it to a computer? Its totally stand alone (after the initial set up).

In whats way is the iPad NOT stand alone? You can do all the things you want it to do...It has its own version of iTunes. Any app, book, song, movie, etc can be downloaded directly from the iPad without ever connecting it to a computer.

Of course, you need either 3G Broadband or WiFi, but you would need that anyway with any computer (some way to connect to the net).

rounder
12-30-2010, 09:13 PM
I bought an iPad for my wife for christmas. It was a big hit. Loaded her iTunes library and she was off and running from the getgo. It would not be real useful to me because I am pretty much tied to MS office products for work and everyday use. But have to say, the iPad is fun.

MadRocketSci
12-31-2010, 01:17 AM
Why do you have to "tether" it to a computer? Its totally stand alone (after the initial set up).

In whats way is the iPad NOT stand alone? You can do all the things you want it to do...It has its own version of iTunes. Any app, book, song, movie, etc can be downloaded directly from the iPad without ever connecting it to a computer.

Of course, you need either 3G Broadband or WiFi, but you would need that anyway with any computer (some way to connect to the net).

I was mostly referring to the setup. When I got mine, i just wanted to start using it, but the thing refused to do anything until I had it sync'd up with my pc itunes. What if you don't own a computer? After all the updating of itunes, the syncing to create backup configs, updating the iOS, etc it was hours before I could start using it.

After that, it's not so bad, but to update the iOS you still have to do it through iTunes via your PC/MAC. Syncing with multiple computers is possible, but categories (data, media, photos, and apps) can't be split, and even done manually, music can't be from more than one library. So I can only download the music on my computer, and not anything on my wife's comp, or vice versa, if i interpret that correctly.

Overall, not a huge deal, but would prefer more flexibility...

Ray
12-31-2010, 02:51 AM
I was mostly referring to the setup. When I got mine, i just wanted to start using it, but the thing refused to do anything until I had it sync'd up with my pc itunes. What if you don't own a computer? After all the updating of itunes, the syncing to create backup configs, updating the iOS, etc it was hours before I could start using it.

After that, it's not so bad, but to update the iOS you still have to do it through iTunes via your PC/MAC. Syncing with multiple computers is possible, but categories (data, media, photos, and apps) can't be split, and even done manually, music can't be from more than one library. So I can only download the music on my computer, and not anything on my wife's comp, or vice versa, if i interpret that correctly.

Overall, not a huge deal, but would prefer more flexibility...
There are pretty easy workarounds to getting music from multiple computers (home sharing between computers, separate playlists, etc), but that's what they are - workarounds. I was frustrated with my iphone at first too for the same basic reasons. Not nearly the standalone options I'd had with other smartphones.

But that's how Apple does things - you're buying into a system, not just a device. The downside is that you have to adapt to that system and in some ways its not as flexible as other gear. And, until you get used to it, it seems counter-intuitive. The upside is that all of their stuff works together so well that you soon stop worrying about the limitations because its always working! Its like the difference between the Mac and PC, from the first units until today. The PC has always been a more open system and users who really like to customize can do more of it on the PC platform. The Mac is far more limiting but its slick, its easy to setup and use, there are almost never driver or software incompatibilities (because Apple controls so much and rarely lets the stuff that doesn't work through). It just works. For a tinkerer it can be more frustrating. For the average end user, its heaven-sent. I was a tinkerer once - now I'd rather just use the damn thing. YMMV.

-Ray

bigmatt
12-31-2010, 03:10 AM
I don't have an ipad as I am poor (but would love one!), but I do own a few other apple I devices. The Ipad is basically a bigger ipod touch which I do own two of them. I have used an Ipad on a number of occasions and I really like it, and will consider one when my finances allow.

One thing I do want to say is yes there is some limitations to it over a laptop. But, some of those can be fixed or worked around fairly easily. I would suggest people jailbreak (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking) your Ipad, ipod touch or even Apple TV. Jailbreaking basically unlocks the potential in the devices. Apple has a stranglehold on how they want you to use their devices, but in many cases there are much better ways to do things. Both of my ipod touches are jailbroken (2gen and a 4gen), and my hopefully Verizon Iphone will be jailbroken the day I get it.

BobbyJones
12-31-2010, 11:19 AM
We've got an employer supplied one in the household for evaluation. After a month we've come to the same conclusion: it's neat, but why?

Sure, there's the e-reader / websurfing / media player thing. But for us it doesn't excel at either of them. Everything else requires an app and exchange with other hardware is a PITA.

Can definitely see the use for business to develop specific applications: med records, sales tools, etc. But that's really the tablet form more than anything else.

Apple has once again done a great marketing job. For an all around travel device, we're looking to evaluate a new Dell Inspiron Duo (http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-duo/pd). Although it's a bit heavy and runs Windows it looks like the best of all worlds.

fourflys
12-31-2010, 11:24 AM
so, I didn't read through this whole thread, but I'll say this...

we looked at the iPad and have decided to get a Nook Color instead... The Nook Color does just about everything the iPad does minus all the Apps (which I hardly ever use on my phone...) If you're just looking for something to surf the web, read books, play then you may want to check out the Nook Color...

mike p
12-31-2010, 11:45 AM
How bout WiFI vs 3g? I figure 70% of my usage would be covered by WiFi but would hate to miss out on the other 30%. Seems like a large premium to get both on your Ipad. Verison and Att, whoever else seem to all have 2 plans. A limited amount of bytes and unlimited? I have no idea what the limited plan would amount to? Any thoughts?

Mike

dave thompson
12-31-2010, 11:59 AM
so, I didn't read through this whole thread, but I'll say this...

we looked at the iPad and have decided to get a Nook Color instead... The Nook Color does just about everything the iPad does minus all the Apps (which I hardly ever use on my phone...) If you're just looking for something to surf the web, read books, play then you may want to check out the Nook Color...
I wasn't interested in having a reader/web/e-mail device all-in-one. My wife got me a Kindle DX for the reading plus newspapers when we're traveling (Cabo in 3 weeks!) We also have a netbook for our travel computer needs.

I get into fistfights with the iPad having to go through iTunes to get most anything up/downloaded/added/deleted, which is frustrating and time-consuming as hell. I'm on the verge of returning it to the store. Maybe get something non-Apple.

Chris
01-22-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm trying to decide on the best ereader for my daughter for her 11th birthday. She is a voracious reader and at this rate there won't be any room in the house if she keeps buying books. She will be taking it to school in her back pack. Other kids do this too for when they have reading time. I think that rules out the ipad (too big, expensive, etc.) I think I am down to the nook color and the kindle. I'm pretty confused so any help would be great.

troymac
01-22-2011, 12:45 PM
How bout WiFI vs 3g? I figure 70% of my usage would be covered by WiFi but would hate to miss out on the other 30%. Seems like a large premium to get both on your Ipad. Verison and Att, whoever else seem to all have 2 plans. A limited amount of bytes and unlimited? I have no idea what the limited plan would amount to? Any thoughts?

Mike
We've had one for 7 months ( wifi) great device . If you think you would use the 3G then I think it's worth the 100 plus for that feature. Your not locked into a contract with the 3G so you can use it adhoc.

Ray
01-23-2011, 05:19 AM
I'm trying to decide on the best ereader for my daughter for her 11th birthday. She is a voracious reader and at this rate there won't be any room in the house if she keeps buying books. She will be taking it to school in her back pack. Other kids do this too for when they have reading time. I think that rules out the ipad (too big, expensive, etc.) I think I am down to the nook color and the kindle. I'm pretty confused so any help would be great.
I'm real partial to the Kindle for basic reading and find the e-ink screen much easier on my eyes for anything but the shortest reading sessions, so I'd recommend the Kindle or the original nook for reading books that are basically all text. If she's reading stuff with lots of illustrations and pictures, though, the e-ink screen is pretty limited. I don't have a good feel for what kids her age are reading these days. Obviously beyond the little kid picture book kinds of things, but if there are still lots of pictures and illustrations, I'd say the Nook color might be a better option.

-Ray