PDA

View Full Version : .

oliver1850
11-19-2010, 11:59 AM

Doug Fattic
11-19-2010, 06:17 PM
I really like the Cyclus set that I have and can recommend them. My unit also has includes built in BB facers. In my shop are also Campy, Var, and Park taps. The Campy are in a league of their own. The Var are good but don't have the built in facers. The Park taps didn't seem quite as sharp as the Cyclus ones when they were new and dulled faster. They also have a facer option that can be combined with the taps. However they aren't nearly as convenient to use and don't have spring tensioning so you have to push against them to get them to cut. The connections that keep the 2 taps in phase with each other don't seem as precision made either.

Another option are the taps and other frame prep tools Joe Bringheli makes as well. You can find more reviews on the Phred framebuilders list. I'm under the impression that Cyclus quality has improved the last couple of years. As I understand it, it is a German company that has their tools made in the Czech republic.

oliver1850
11-19-2010, 08:59 PM

EricEstlund
11-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I have the set (http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id=431876625049&d=single&c=Tools&sc=Bottom-Bracket&tc=Tap-Sets&item_id=CU-149) with the integrated facer as well- very nice. I prefer it to the Park and VAR sets I have used (and I have done quite a few frames with those).

The taps themselves are worth almost as much as the whole tool when the time comes to replace them, but it takes quite a few frames to trash them. These also cut threads better then the others if you need to do so- the Park seem better suited to just chase.

I have a number of their fixed diameter reamers, H-tools an a fe other items. They have a bit of an industrial feel, but coming from industry I find this reassuring. They feel like metal working tools should and not as if you have paid for "polish" without function.

oliver1850
11-20-2010, 11:19 PM