PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Helium + Big guy....advice please

Kingfisher
11-19-2010, 07:33 AM
Saw an ad for these wheels on local craigslist this am...am I too large/heavy for this wheelset....I'm 6'2", 210? Anyone have experience on this wheelset??

For sale is my slightly used Mavic Helium wheelset.

Sale includes: Mavic Helium tubular wheels; Shimano Ultegra 9 spd cassette (as new); Tufo Tubular tires (as new); Mavic composite QR skewers; Mavic wheel bags; and computer magnet.

Asking $200 picked up.

LegendRider
11-19-2010, 07:48 AM
I think you are too heavy for them. I weigh less than 170lbs and Heliums were the only wheels I've ever owned that kept coming out of true.

itspeedmoore
11-19-2010, 08:04 AM
They'll be fine. Helium's were thought of as lightweight wheels but really weren't and were quite tough.

Birddog
11-19-2010, 08:35 AM
They'll be fine. Helium's were thought of as lightweight wheels but really weren't and were quite tough.
I disagree, If my memory is correct, they had a 180lb suggested weight limit. They are good, but not great wheels and they are prone to stress risers on the rim/eyelet.

David Kirk
11-19-2010, 08:37 AM
Look out for cracked spoke holes in the rim. The tubular rims are famous for this. I had a set reach the breaking point (pun intended) during a ride and things got pretty floppy as they lost all spoke tension.

The clincher rim is much tougher and lasts forever.

Dave

oldpotatoe
11-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Saw an ad for these wheels on local craigslist this am...am I too large/heavy for this wheelset....I'm 6'2", 210? Anyone have experience on this wheelset??

For sale is my slightly used Mavic Helium wheelset.

Sale includes: Mavic Helium tubular wheels; Shimano Ultegra 9 spd cassette (as new); Tufo Tubular tires (as new); Mavic composite QR skewers; Mavic wheel bags; and computer magnet.

Asking $200 picked up.

They are low spoke count Mavic Reflex rims, straight pull spokes and Mavic hubs. Do ya suppose a set of 28h Reflex rims on standard hubs would suit you?
I don't think so either.

97CSI
11-19-2010, 10:39 AM
If you want Mavic prebuilts, I've had excellent results with Ksyrium Elites over the years. No problems during my ''fat phase" (230lb).

mtb_frk
11-19-2010, 06:58 PM
I use a set on my cross bike with no problems. I weigh about 200lbs right now. When I first got one of the wheels the rim was cracked but my lbs was able to find a nos rim. I have 3 of them I use, and I still see other people at cross races using them.

endosch2
11-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Those are 15 years old - go with Ksyrium elites and you will have no problems.