PDA

View Full Version : A "description" of whats ahead...

trophyoftexas
11-18-2010, 08:32 PM
....for my wife and myself as new tandem owners? See what you think and offer up advise if you think we'll need it! Pretty cute little ditty!

http://www.thetandemlink.com/TDA/iWeb_/accordions.html

Kirk Pacenti
11-18-2010, 09:20 PM
Wherever your relationship is headed you'll get there faster on a tandem! ;)

Cheers,
KP

maxdog
11-18-2010, 11:04 PM
enjoyed the music. my wife and i toured from portland to san fran on a tandem for our honeymoon. her friends said that was her final test. that was 18 years ago and at 33 i had quit racing, but not my love for riding. we did 50 to 80 miles a day, and for a non-biker, she was a real trooper. she only cried once. it left us with some great memories and laughs. if you've never toured the west coast, i highly recommend it. now we live in upstate ny, restoring our old estate which belonged to the schaefer brewing family (one beer to have, when your having more than one.). the old burly bossa nova sits upstairs collecting dust, but you've given me the urge to pull it down, tune it up and get us out on it. thanks and enjoy your sojourn.

goonster
11-19-2010, 08:36 AM
The Stoker is Always Right.

Karin Kirk
11-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Ah, the metric of a successful honeymoon: "she only cried once."

I admire couples who ride tandems together. Dave and I know each other well enough to know that a tandem is not for us. But my hat is off to those of you who go down that path!

maxdog
11-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Ah, the metric of a successful honeymoon: "she only cried once."

I admire couples who ride tandems together. Dave and I know each other well enough to know that a tandem is not for us. But my hat is off to those of you who go down that path!

thanks karin, i have often been accused of being overly sensitive/romantic.

Karin Kirk
11-19-2010, 02:47 PM
thanks karin, i have often been accused of being overly sensitive/romantic.

no prob :)
I don't think I cried on our honeymoon, but I definitely wimpered, since the first part of our honeymoon was climbing Mt. Rainer and the following week we were mountain biking in Moab in some really hot temperatures. It was a challenging yet fun trip, which is just what we wanted.

RPS
11-19-2010, 02:57 PM
See what you think and offer up advise if you think we'll need it!
I’ve always been told that tandems either work or they don’t for a couple – very little middle ground. The trick is not spending too much up front until you know which group you fall into.

Personally I love riding ours as much or more than riding a single. As long as Nancy is in shape to ride and we stay on relatively isolated roads with slow traffic I enjoy it more than riding alone.

Bradford
11-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Getting a tandem was one of the best things we ever did. For us, it moved us to great places really fast. We toured Cape Breton, rode from Jasper to Banff on our honeymoon, even took it from the church when we got married. We rode about 1,500 miles a year until the kids came, not so much lately. I can't wait until we can get out and ride it again.

One tip though. As much as I thought hitting 55 mph on a bike would be really fun, turns out that it's kinda scary for the person in the back if all she can see is my butt and the ground whizzing by. She made it pretty clear that it was an experience that would not happen again. To insure domestic tranquility, I put a drum brake on with a drag setting and now keep the big under 35 without fail.

Smiley
11-19-2010, 03:13 PM
If we only owned ONE bike it would be our CO-MO tandem, its our third already and like Bradford we rode ours home from our wedding too. Great investment.

RPS
11-19-2010, 03:32 PM
I put a drum brake on with a drag setting and now keep the big under 35 without fail.
That’s funny – I have the opposite problem. Mine has never complained about going too fast, but has on occasions asked why I used the brakes instead of letting the bike go. Apparently she has a greater need for speed than I. It’s either that or she’s never been in a bike crash before – which I want to keep that way for fear she'll never ride again. ;)

MerckxMad
11-19-2010, 03:52 PM
Tandems are like pool tables in a bar...fight starters.

bking
11-20-2010, 08:56 AM
First question we were asked when we bought ours on a whim: turning to my wife the guy at the shop inquired of my wife: "can you sleep in the car when he's driving?".
Took me a few seconds to understand, but it's a great first question for a couple who is interested.

trophyoftexas
11-20-2010, 01:32 PM
First question we were asked when we bought ours on a whim: turning to my wife the guy at the shop inquired of my wife: "can you sleep in the car when he's driving?".
Took me a few seconds to understand, but it's a great first question for a couple who is interested.

...."now THAT'S funny, I don't care who you are!" So is this, check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiN3zVLcVeA