PDA

View Full Version : Why the Serotta Forum classified rock! Craigslist bites!

avalonracing
11-18-2010, 05:24 PM
You know, I'm a fan of ebay (despite the scammers), and I've been a fan of craigslist (again aside from the scammers) but there really aren't too many places to buy and sell like this forum.

I've gotten some pretty great deals here like a $250 Ti frameset (in great shape) and I've passed along deals too like a vintage XT group with extras for $40 shipped (damn it! I need one of those sets of thumbshifters back).

There is a lot of trust here too. I keep hearing about people shipping parts before they even received payment. I like those stories so much that I actually shipped something this week before the payment hit my account.

That said, I wish there were other communities like this. I'm trying to sell my Honda VFR right now and of the five replies that I've gotten on craigslist four have been scams. Now some toolbox flagged me and craigslist is not accepting my ad (actually, it is doing a nasty trick called "ghosting" where it lets me think that it is posted but it does not post and it will not show up if someone searches for it). It's crazy irritating as I'm one of the nine people on craigs who isn't trying to rip someone off.

Anyway, you are a cool group of people and Ben and the gang at Serotta are very cool to support such a community. That said, even though there is one Serotta currently in the house (the third one) there will probably be more in the future. Not just because of this forum, but because they are great bikes... But there are a lot of great bikes out there and most of them don't have companies that support something like this.

Bob Loblaw
11-19-2010, 09:39 AM
I agree, and I'll take it a step further and say the at even apart from the great classifieds section, the quality of the information shared relative to the lack of ego here in the GD are refreshing. Compared to other forums, and not just cycling forums, it's a treat to find a place like this where you can read and participate knowing there's a minimum chance you're going to get shelled for being wrong, and a maximum chance of having even tricky, left-field questions answered thoughtfully.

BL

bobswire
11-19-2010, 10:48 AM
You know, I'm a fan of ebay (despite the scammers), and I've been a fan of craigslist (again aside from the scammers) but there really aren't too many places to buy and sell like this forum.

I've gotten some pretty great deals here like a $250 Ti frameset (in great shape) and I've passed along deals too like a vintage XT group with extras for $40 shipped (damn it! I need one of those sets of thumbshifters back).

There is a lot of trust here too. I keep hearing about people shipping parts before they even received payment. I like those stories so much that I actually shipped something this week before the payment hit my account.

That said, I wish there were other communities like this. I'm trying to sell my Honda VFR right now and of the five replies that I've gotten on craigslist four have been scams. Now some toolbox flagged me and craigslist is not accepting my ad (actually, it is doing a nasty trick called "ghosting" where it lets me think that it is posted but it does not post and it will not show up if someone searches for it). It's crazy irritating as I'm one of the nine people on craigs who isn't trying to rip someone off.

Anyway, you are a cool group of people and Ben and the gang at Serotta are very cool to support such a community. That said, even though there is one Serotta currently in the house (the third one) there will probably be more in the future. Not just because of this forum, but because they are great bikes... But there are a lot of great bikes out there and most of them don't have companies that support something like this.

+1, Ditto!

veloduffer
11-19-2010, 11:55 AM
This is a great forum and a few forumites that know me asked how come it took so long for me to join. I thought you guys only talked about Serottas. :o

Of course, I am now a 3x Serotta owner thanks to y'all. :banana: :banana: :banana:

There are some forums that are similar - Nikon camera (nikoncafe.com) and golf (4gea.com). The golf forum is one of the internet's largest but the core of members is very good - great for OT advice as there is bound to be a few members whose occupation covers the topic. There is a real sense of community as many guys get together for golf around the country. One of the core members perished in Sept 11 WTC (young guy too) and there is a memorial tournament in the NY/NJ area each year with the proceeds to his foundation. They did have some minor problems with their classifieds, so now they charge a membership fee for the swap shop to keep out the riff raff. They also had a political discussion folder that you needed permission to access (called the Dungeon since the folder was at the bottom of the web page) - allowed one to let out their inner Reilly/Oberman.

I think the key to maintaining a good forum are moderators that are active and will quickly cut off threads before they digress into something distasteful.

My only wish would be for a few more group rides to meet each other and oogle bikes. :D :beer:

AngryScientist
11-19-2010, 12:05 PM
My only wish would be for a few more group rides to meet each other and oogle bikes. :D :beer:

count me in.

i was thinking we could get a north jersey ride going every other month or something once the spring hits, there are a few of us in this neck of the woods.

troymac
11-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey angry I think the way we make more rides is just start to schedule ,post , and see who shows up ... Great idea maybe we could put up regional drop posts and members could identify which region or regions they live in ... I know that the socal boys have put together rides for the last two years. Just some thoughts it may be starting to sound like drivel so I'll stop for now.. Troy

Ahneida Ride
11-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Malcolm shipped an HC to a colleague of mine in Chicago.

Told him to check it out and send him a check if he liked it.
If not, just ship ship the bike back.

where else would that happen ????
:banana:

rice rocket
11-20-2010, 12:15 AM
More info about the VFR... :)