PDA

View Full Version : Campy Shamal Wheelset

norcalbiker
11-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Would Campy Shamal wheelset that came from 8 speed work on 10/11 speed?

StellaBlue
11-18-2010, 01:46 PM

no.. 9 speed will though.

Mark McM
11-18-2010, 02:10 PM

Well, not without swapping the 8spd freehub body for a 9/10/11 speed freehub body (these have become hard to find).

With the 9/10/11 speed freehub body, it should be compatible with all 9spd cassettes, although the derailleur may be closer to the spokes than with 8spd. However, there may be cassette/hub and/or derailleur/spoke clearance issues with some 10spd of 11spd cassettes. Because 10spd and 11spd cassettes have the largest sprocket 'overhung' towards the spokes, a cassette with a small bottom sprocket may interfere with the hub shell, or the derailleur cage may overlap the spokes. However, cassettes with a larger bottom sprocket (such as a 25, 26 or 29) may have enough clearance, because the larger sprocket may clear the hub shell, and because the spokes angle inward toward the rim providing more spoke clearance at larger diameters.

I an originally 8spd Shamal wheel which has been converted by fitting a 9/10/11spd freehub body, and have successfully used 9spd and 10spd cassettes, but I have not tried it with 11spd.

97CSI
11-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Well, not without swapping the 8spd freehub body for a 9/10/11 speed freehub body (these have become hard to find).Ask oldpotatoe. He will know and likely has the parts you would need to make the change.

oldpotatoe
11-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Ask oldpotatoe. He will know and likely has the parts you would need to make the change.

If it's a HPW hub(straight rather than j bend spokes) you can transplant a 9/10s aluminum freehub body in there BUT the freehub is so far into the hub body, 11s would probably hit the hub shell. The only freehubs you can use are those from Record and Chorus hubs from 1997/8(Campagnolo became 9s in 1997). The hubs that had a ti axle(Record) or steel axle(Chorus). 1998 saw Record go the oversized aluminum axle with Chorus to follow. The only other option is to use a Athena freehub AND axle since this freehub and axle was different than Record/Chorus. Made in 1997/8 as well. Became Daytona then Centaur in 1999.

I wish I had some left. I sold my last one about 6 months ago. My 2 suppliers of such things are out as well.

Cannot put a Campagnolo 9s cogset onto Campagnolo 8s(black, steel) freehub body.