PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cruise ships & cell phones

tele
11-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Anyone have experience with cell service, specificly Verizon? Going on a cruise next week and Verizon says their is coverage on the ship.
Thanks
Kevin

TMB
11-18-2010, 11:15 AM
Anyone have experience with cell service, specificly Verizon? Going on a cruise next week and Verizon says their is coverage on the ship.
Thanks
Kevin

They work, and it will cost you a fortune.

The cell call bounces off the ship's antennae and then to the call destination.

Problem is, even though that ship may be sitting in Miami, the ship's antennae is probably registered in the Bahamas, or somewhere else.

So, your calls will all be INTERNATIONAL, and very expensive.

Best thing. Don't do it.

Bud_E
11-18-2010, 11:48 AM
We recently went on a cruise ( Mediterranean, Aegean) with Holland America. My verizon phone worked on the ship - but only when we were out to sea. I think it has something to do with having to be in international waters. When we were out to sea it worked pretty well - but expensive. ( I don't have an international sim card or anything like that ).

The ship also had phone cards which worked with the cabin phone. They worked in port or out but they were about the same cost as using the cell phone ( $25 for ~12 minutes ) and there was an annoying delay which made it difficult to carry on a conversation. Also they hung up when the 12 minutes was up.

Have fun.

mandasol
11-18-2010, 11:59 AM
If you have a "smartphone" watch out for incredibly high data charges even if your phone is only sync'ing data in the background. If you want to bring it along for emergencies, it's best to leave it off and only turn it on in an emergency. If you need data try to find out if the cruise offers wifi and if it's free or paid.

I have Verizon and have the US and Canada plan, but I was never told data roaming was not included in Canada, so I had a $600 data charge after a two week trip to Vancouver :eek:

tuxbailey
11-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the tips.

I am going on a cruise next month and will sure to turn off the phones.

I guess my family will be "Off the Grid" for a week.

AngryScientist
11-18-2010, 12:02 PM
your best bet is probably to call verizon, and get their take on exactly what you're doing. be sure to take the name and contact info from the representative you talk to, and briefly document to conversation, so if your bill is unexpectedly high, you may have some recourse.

Bob Ross
11-18-2010, 12:22 PM

In July 2008 I was on a cruise along the inland passage from Seward AK to Vancouver BC. My Verizon cellphone never had any service from the moment we got ~10 miles off shore.

Pete Serotta
11-18-2010, 01:19 PM
It is a "line of site" for transmission of the most common wireless phones.

THe way verizon or any others work is via connecting to something on the ship - which then transmits to some one they have an agreement and reception/connection from.

Definitely not inexpensive once you leave US carriers.

Data transmission is even more $$$$$ than voice :butt: :butt:

sg8357
11-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Crackberry on Cruise ship means your aren't really on vacation,
just at an offsite with the family.

Leave the electro-leash at home, then you're on Vacation.

mike p
11-18-2010, 04:39 PM
My thoughts exactly!

Mike

tele
11-18-2010, 05:17 PM

good thing i dont have a problem, yet. maybe you can talk to my wife who needs to be updated on her nephews' soccer games.

anyway, finally found some info on the Verizon website for those interested: http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Cruise_Ships/index.html

not cheap by any means, but i cant imagine the cruise internet cafes are better.
thanks all

Louis
11-18-2010, 05:27 PM
What's a cell phone? ;)